Bearings guidance - 12k mi service time!

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks, I'm coming up on 12k miles on my '09 and it's time to get some servicing done (well, once my garage heater parts show up...not doing any work in 0*F!).

I'm pretty comfortable with getting most things done, but I haven't dealt with the bearings on the FZ yet. Does anyone have grade-school level instructions for accessing, checking, lubing, and/or replacing all sorts of important bearings and axles? I'm looking at steering bearings, wheel bearings, swing arm pivot bearings, everything!

And if anyone has a list of things I'm likely to forget to do maintenance on, please let me know! I have the FZ manual PDF, but as you may know not everything is geared towards the home mechanic. I'm reasonably intelligent and decent with my hands, just like to know what I'm getting in to before things are in pieces in my garage!

Thanks for any help!

-CavDoc

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would suggest getting a Haynes manual also. It only goes up to an '08, but 09 is the same bike. I like to bag all parts, screws, bolts, and nuts then label the bags. Take pics too, sometimes its better than the labels on the bags.

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Good call on the Haynes, I'll pick one of them up. :thumbup:

I'm not new to getting my hands greasy, just newer to motorcycles and never really dealt with too many bearings before.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Wheel bearing are sealed except for the needle bearing in the rear axel. Good idea to clean and re-pack the head bearings, the swingarm bearings and the shock bushing and bearing (cant remember which is on top and on bottom. Whgile you are cleaning and lubing don't forget to lube the shift lever shaft - the one the lever is on - it can get gunkie and stiff. To clean a bearing first wipe all the excess off with cloth or paper towel, then use a cleaner - I used brake cleaner (not so good near the heater though cause it might get real hot - as in go boom) or maybe kerosene or WD-40. Once the bearing is really clean repack it with grease - the more around the bearing the better, I try and force as much down around the balls and rollers as possible. Use a good waterproof bearing brease - high temp. I use a blue grease from Maxuum maybe - good stuff.