bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

JeffrosFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Received my BD43 headlight mod wire this week and installed it today. I was going to make my own harness but could not find the headlight bulb terminal. It went very smooth except I stripped the negative battery cable bolt (its about 2 threads too short) and the wire is about 4 inches too long (just made a loop). Other than that it went excellent and works great!
I rate it...
Quality - 9
skill required - 7

The air box was extremely simple to pull off (ive heard horror stories). The hardest was prabably tidying up the wire under the front fairing (hard to reach).

All in all a great mod for $30.00 and 1 hout time. :thumbup:

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just about ready to do the mod, but I have a few questions before I start. Do I have to remove any part of the faring to lift the gas tank out of the way?Does the air box and battery have to be removed to get at the coupler? Does the coupler that goes into the light socket just pull out or does it just twists out? Last of all, any good tips.

Thank You

Doc

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It’s been a while since I did mine and some of the steps may be a little sketchy. Others who have done it recently can chime in. BTW, my bike is a 2007, so other years may be slightly different around the fairing area.

1. Make sure the fuel in the tank is less than half full.
2. Remove seat.
3. Remove left and right front cowling inner panel with 4mm Hex driver (Service Manual Pg 4-2)
4. Remove upper two tank screws with 5mm Hex driver (Service Manual Pg 7-1)
5. Lift tank pivoting on rear bolt being careful not to stress fuel pump wire harness.
6. Remove green connector to intake air temperature sensor (Item 3, Service Manual Pg 1-2)
7. With a pair of pliers, expand hose clamps at the tabs and slide down or along hoses. There are 4 of them, three at the rear and one on the right hand side of the air box. Wiggle each hose at the air box end to ensure they are loose. (Item 4, Service Manual Pg 4-3)
8. Disconnect starter relay connector above battery (Item 6, Service Manual Pg 4-3)
9. Disconnect negative battery lead from battery (Item 7, Service Manual Pg 4-3)
10. Disconnect positive battery lead from battery (Item 8, Service Manual Pg 4-3)
11. Remove the two 10mm bolts holding down the battery cover. Lift and move to the right hand side the battery cover (Item 9, Service Manual Pg 4-3)
12. Lift battery out of box and set aside (Item 10, Service Manual Pg 4-3)
13. Wiggle and lift the air box upward from the throttle body (Item 11, Service Manual Pg 4-3)
14. Remove the two 10mm bolts holding down the battery box located just forward of the battery cover holes (Service Manual Pg 4-4)
15. Lift and slide rearward the battery box. There are fingers on the sides and near the bottom of the battery box that must clear by lifting upward to slide the box rearward.
16. The connector can now be found hidden in a rubber boot inside the frame.
17. Continue with the harness install.

For putting everything back together, reverse the removal procedure.

When putting the air box back onto the throttle body, ensure all the rear hoses are aligned over their respective ports and that the box is over top of the throttle body openings before squarely wiggling and pressing down on the box to re-install. I did this with the top of the air box off and the air cleaner removed. It’s not mentioned in the service manual but I did it this way and maybe that’s why I didn’t have any trouble getting the air box back on. Doing this you can clearly see if the box is in alignment with the throttle body ports by peering down through the box.

If you study this picture closely, you can see the green air temp sensor connector off to the bottom right, the 3 rearward hoses with their clamps slid down them, the hose off to the right hand side with it's clamp slid along it, the battery box top hanging off to the right hand side of the frame, and the battery box with ignition coils attached moved rearward closer to the throttle body intakes. In this picture the handlebar connector has been disconnected and I pulled it out of the frame to take some pictures but this is not necessary.

watermark.php

Last edited:

JeffrosFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is a 2006 and the inner panels are 1 piece (small section do not come out as the 2007's do).

so... I removed the long bolt at the rear of the tank, then removed the 2 bolts at the front of the tank. Then slid the tank back (pulling away from the front cowling) then lifted up. Then reinstalled the rear tank bolt, pivot the tank up and bungie corded to stay up.

make sense? I should of taken pictures when I did mine.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Forgot about this thread. Did this a week or two ago. Great mod, amazing craftsmanship and engineering on BD43's part. Mod is pretty easy. Getting the air box on and off is actually quite simple. I struggled the most with getting the connector out of the boot and disconnected. Aside from that it was smooth sailing. While I was at it, I took the opportunity to wire up and accessory block, similar to what Fred did in his video.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
did mine a week or so ago, took me 30mins total and that includes going back and finding each tool I needed. Was pretty easy! I think it took longer routing and zip tieing the wire to the bike than it did getting to the plug....

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the factory green wire in the plug come directly from the swicth on the bars?

Yes, you can see the green wire at the end of the connector in the picture of my post just above. I pulled the connector from the frame and laid it on top for a better shot.

D

Deleted member 2349

Received BD43's wire and was not sure if i was up to the task and was going to put it off until winter. But I kept looking at the pictures and psyched myself up and 2 hours later(it was hot in the garage/water breaks) it was done. I can only say one thing...So easy a caveman could do it. Daryl's craftsmanship is amazing and made this mod very clean.

My notes on this mod. Just take your time and separate each piece you take off. I used 3 cardboard boxes and just put the screws with the pieces they went with after taking them off. Taking off the air box is by far the trickiest part. Well more for big fingered people. A longer allen wrench would have helped to get those clamp screws loosened. I had one that was very tough to get an angle on.

Thanks BD

mustanggirl1975

Reaction score
Visit site
I received the wire a week or two ago, and last weekend my boyfriend and I installed the wire. The directions were easy and the pictures were very helpful. Crossing our fingers we tested the wire and BAM there was 2 headlights lit.... needless to say we were very happy. It looks great and I love it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!! :cheer:

Agente Especial

Red Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I received my harness about two weeks ago, and with the instructions and forum background, it took just under an hour to finish. EXCELLENT design, fit and finish. By far my favorite and most reasonably priced mod yet! :thumbup:

Red 2007

Reaction score
Visit site
Umm...not a mechanic or an an electrician...just a rider. Like the mod, but not willing to destroy my bike attempting to do it myself. Anyone good in the Chicago area who will do this without costing me an arm & leg?

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Umm...not a mechanic or an an electrician...just a rider. Like the mod, but not willing to destroy my bike attempting to do it myself. Anyone good in the Chicago area who will do this without costing me an arm & leg?

It's really not that bad but I can understand not wanting to do it yourself if you're not comfortable with it. I'm sure you'll find someone to help you out. Fellow rider in the area maybe will do it cheap i would imagine.

bobiii

Reaction score
Visit site
I received my wire about two days ago. Decided to try it out on Friday the 4th of July! Took about an hour and it works flawlessly! Recommend to everyone with a FZ6!

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Hiya. Did my mod today after having the harness in my possession since March! :eek: I'd say it took about 30-45 minutes from lifting the tank to bolting it back down. It's easy with the right tools. The only thing I haven't done properly is route the wire. I thought I'd leave that for another day so I've got another 30-45 minutes left to make it all look professional. I took a grand total of 2 pictures, but they aren't as good as ones already on here so I won't bother posting them - we all know what a 2-eyed FZ looks like. ;)

Great product BD43!

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered the mod a few weeks ago and it was shipped fast, got to me before my frame sliders through the dealer. I was hesitant to do the mod never having 'opened' my bike but after seeing so many other yamaha bikes in my area I decided I wanted to stand out with TWO headlights.

For anyone who is nervous about performing this mod I would rate it not much more difficult than changing the oil in a car (assuming you don't make a mistake).

The whole thing start to finish took me 75 minutes and I was being careful with all the bolts, placing them in labeled zip lock bags. The only tools you need are in your tool kit. I would say it took me 10 minutes to get to the step of pulling the air filter and most of that was trying to secure the tank because my bungie was too short :eek: After that I was a little unsure of how to get the air box out but after some studying I disconnected one hose and tugged and that was that. Pulling the battery was easy just 4 bolts and two screws. I was prob 30 mins in at that point. Then I spent some time checking the correct wiring since I am color blind :don'tknow: Ran the wiring along existing connections and through the front of the bike (only small fingered task). Then I put everything back together again. I would have been done in 60 minutes but I wired the battery back up before I had placed the battery covery back on :confused:

Shipping = Fast
Quality = Excellent
Directions = Clear
Level = Low/Medium

Tebster _ fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this mod with the help of this very helpful guide but decided to put the new wire within the original harness to make it look stock, it took a tad longer as had to re-bind the original harnesses but was happy with the results, I did however decide to put a heat sealed bullet connector by the original ones on the left hand side of the top cowling so that you can seperate it to aid quick removal of the top cowl, see pic

wodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the headlight mod from BikerDude a few weeks ago but just couldnt find time to get it fitted. Took it with me on my first service and they agreed to put it in for me as the airbox would apparantly be coming out any way.

The did not charge me as they said they didnt have to do much as the cable from BikerDude was so good!! Pretty much plug 'n play.

Thanks again!!

Warren

FrankZappa6

Reaction score
Visit site
There is no doubt in my mind that this is the greatest safety mod that the average streetrider can do to an FZ6. I've had mine installed for about 10 days now, and I must say that cagers approaching from the right are far more respectful of my presence. Obviously, I'm still not invincible, but I'm far more visible to those who would turn right into my lane or pull out in front of me. Now instad of having to my thumb on the brights, I've got it covering the horn & ready to give 'em "the Vegas"!!!

Thanks Biker_Dude - you made the world a safer place! :thumbup: