bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've got a week off work (again), so I might give this mod a try. Probably easier to make up my own, rather than get this shipped from OS, and BD's write up is excellent, so it should be easy enough... even for a clutz like me :eek:

I'll post back with the results if I get it done.
(Goes off to convert all the gobble-de-gook measurements into metric)

:)

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks BD! The mod is awesome! I can't wait to try it at night!

*note: The wire could be about 4-5 inches shorter :) Thanks again!

Man, and someone mentioned to me that it was a couple inches too short. Oh well, better longer than shorter. Glad it worked out for you and everyone who's done the mod. Ride safe!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a bd43 harness in my 07 last week as well. Installation went as described and works great.. I secured it to the factory harness (following around the left side of the bike) and removed about 4" from the headlight end of the harness. As stated above, better slightly too long than too short. I highly recomend it. Thanks again bd43, excellent farkle!

'05FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that it could be about 4 or so inches shorter, but it still worked great. Everything was very neat and clean, it looks great :rockon:!!!

That being said, has anyone considered making the left side (as you are sitting on the bike) light up when the high beams are selected? In other words have two low and two high beam headlights? It this too much of a draw on the stock electrical system?

Off to go search some more about HID's too:eek:

'05FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
do I need to drain the fuel out of the tank before I do this mod?

No need to drain the fuel as long as you just tilt the tank upwards and secure it there with something. I disconnected the white and green electrical connectors (on the bottom of the tank) to avoid stressing the wiring.

NOTE: make sure that you secure the tank well, as I was doing this mine slipped and fell down on the handle bars giving me s slight scratch :( , that was the only problem that I had with everything.

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon::thumbup::D No More Cyclops! Thanks BD43. Your harness & instructions are excellent. Much better now.

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I put in the BD43 cable tonight. It took me about 2.5 hours to take it apart and put it all back together, but it was the first time I've removed the tank, airbox, battery, etc before so I was slow and cautious. I tested out the lights and they work marvelously. They're even the same color! I know that might be expected, but I've seen photos of other people's dual headlights and they were often a different shade, probably because one bulb had been used longer. Thanks again BD!

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the tank is completely full you may get some gas run out of the breather tubes on the bottom of the bike when you tip it up. I though the length was going to be too long but I took off the front fairing and taped the new wire beside the others and the length was perfect and everything is tucked out of sight. Great mod.

Zanch

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you guys realize the reason the light output is so good is because high beams point straight and blind other drivers while low beams point down. The fact that you have one or the other filament lit doesn't mean much other than you're producing a bit more light.
High Beam ------
Low Beam \

The other thing that's not addressed is that you would really want to angle the beams left and right instead of having both dead center.

I haven't and don't want to try and play with the adjusters (those little bolts that are on the back of the headlight assembly) but they could probably be adjusted slightly to the right and left. Just don't tighten either side too much as the adjusters will break.

Sorry if this has already been addressed... I know how much people enjoy this thread and there would be 19 pages to read.

Last edited:

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, I installed the harness today, THANK YOU BD43 for making such a nice piece, and making the instructions very simple to read. This was a very easy install, especially since I had the bike apart anyway removing the AIS. Again, THANK YOU very much for a great product and I will say to everyone who does not have this, either purchase one or make one of these, you will love the difference.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd really like to do ths mod. I think the sinlge headlight looks bizzare and thought it was really weird that the saleman told me what to say if a cop pulled me over for having a headlight out. But I have two issues.

First, I don't mind working on my bikes. I do my own oil changes, mounted saddle bags, added frame sliders, sissy bars & luggage racks, added pigtails for battery tenders, modified seats and replaced batteries. But I don't mess with electrics/electronics. Basically I've stayed away from doing anything that can cause the bike to not run if I mess up. I'd feel much more confident if I didn't have to get into taking off the tank, air box and battery box, without someone there to bail me out if I screw up.

Secondly, with the bike being brand new, I'm concerned that doing this type of mod could void the factory warranty. Am I better off waitng a year until I'm out of warranty to do this?

Last edited:

Laax

Third Yamaha
Reaction score
Visit site
The only feature I do not like about my FZ6 is the "one-eyed cat" look of the one-on, one-off low beam headlights. Thanks, bd43, for your excellent explanations and photographs, which will enable me to modify to dual beams.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Just completed the BD43 mod. It took about 2 hours including 5 minutes to find a screw that I dropped in the frame, and about 10 minutes to reconnect the battery (I hate that little rectangualar nut thingy on the battery terminals!!#@$%!!).

The supplied kit is relatively easy to install and the final result is very satisfing. If you are sitting on the fence about a duel headlight mod Daryl's kit is really the way to go!

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Just completed the BD43 mod. It took about 2 hours including 5 minutes to find a screw that I dropped in the frame, and about 10 minutes to reconnect the battery (I hate that little rectangualar nut thingy on the battery terminals!!#@$%!!).

The supplied kit is relatively easy to install and the final result is very satisfing. If you are sitting on the fence about a duel headlight mod Daryl's kit is really the way to go!

Do what I did with the rectangular nut thingy's, get a foam ear plug, cut them to size and shove them under this rectangular nut things...when you screw the bolts back into the battery, do it gently and you'll get a bit every time! :)

Alternatively, take one bolt to your hardware store and buy one that is a bit longer! :)

Last edited:

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
What a great idea.... I wish I had thought of the earplug thing. I was about to go to the hardware store and get a longer screw.

bcdiesel

Reaction score
Visit site
So I just got the bike and this was my first mod. Ordered the wire and I was very impressed by the quality and how professional the assembly was. This product was well worth the money and time saved. Sure I could have made one but I would have spent a ton of time and I doubt it would have looked as good as this.

I had the wire installed in under an hour, the length was perfect when routed as the instructions. Excitedly I turned the key on and no headlights! Switched the high beam, nothing. Okay, now what... I checked the fuses... all okay. Took everything apart again to try and find the problem, still nothing. I finally decided to give up and put every back together for a try again the next day. Then I decided to start the bike for some reason and wow... I had dual headlights!

Stupid me was use to another bike where the headlight turned on with the key. Whereas the FZ6 must be started first otherwise only the front amber lights come on. Install could have been done in under an hour, but for me and my stupidity it was 2.5 hours! Live and learn.

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the harness in the garage for a couple months now, and just finally had the ambition to install it. Huge thanks to BD43 for the harness and spot on directions. Great transaction, quality product, and I love the outcome.

If you've been thinking about doing this mod, do it. It's simple to install, and you won't regret it.

mistertek

Reaction score
Visit site
I received and installed my mod cable today. Fantastic! I just love how the light is thrown and how I have a working highbeam as well as proper low beams.

Thank you BD43!!! The craftsmanship is remarkable. Stunning really. Thanks again!