Bar Buzz - What to do?

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
I have installed foam grips and it helps during my commute to dampen the bar buzz. Wearing my thicker winter gloves adds more dampening. It's summer and am wondering if there is something I can add that will help dampen the buzz.
At this time don't want to change sprockets.
Thanks,
Ed

You can purchase a product called Bar Snake. It fits inside the handle bars to asorb the vibration. You can also get heavier bar ends. Not sure if the bar ends actually help alot or not.

good luck.:thumbup:

Back in the day, we would fill the bar with lead shot. I am using Miller welding gloves and they help. These gloves are neoprene with leather fingers and palms. They're comfortable and breathe well, GRUMPY

What oil are you running? I switched to Rotella T after 150 miles on the bike. Much much less vibration (and smoother shifting). Dealer put Yamalube in when i took it in for the 600 mile service. I thought they had broken my bike when i started it up at first because of the vibration. I'm at 2500 now and will be switch back to Rotella at my next change, probably this week.

Im thinking of getting these pretty soon

Handlebar Risers for Dual Sport Motorcycles and Adventure Motorcycles

I will probably couple it with a FZ1 bar to even it out ( and I'm thinking a straighter bar would make my wrists hate me slightly less )

-Edit, So far I have done grip puppies and the YZF1000r Thunderace bar ends, It kind of helps, but not as much as I was hoping

Well I have the "bar buzz" that drives me crazy. My latest fix was to insulate the clutch cable where it runs across the back of the engine and makes the turn up along the left side of the frame. It was making contact and vibrating. Its better but the buzz is still there. I have a FZ1 handle bar ordered ($46.00) from the dealer and should be here thursday (7/10/08).
I also use bar risers (which helped the back more than anything).
Oh and grip puppies help some... best $8.00 mod there is.

- still searching for the cure.

How many miles on the bike? 2/3 of my buzziness went away by 4k miles, to my surprise the engine kept mellowing. But most of my buzz was up through the seat.

At 5800 - 6400 rpm the whole bike has a vibration thats felt through the seat, pegs, bars etc. the seat vib is almost like a massager seat but the bar vib is numbing to the hands to the point of loss of all feeling.

oh i only have 2500 miles on it so far.

Well to answer some of the questions;
I now have 4500 miles, just put in Mobil 1, I have bar back, and foam grips.
My right hand does better than left but still my hands get numb.
The feeling around the buzz is from the triple clamp right on up.
I've read all the suggestions and resolutions, I'm wondering that maybe some sort of rubber piece as an isolation would be the answer but where - oversizing the bar clamp diameter to add a rubber piece but then there is the clamp bolts that would be the issue. Hmmm for this maybe drill out the threads longer bolt with isolation washer and nut...
Something to think about - would this take away from the steering "feel", if so how much and would it be worth it?

What oil are you running? I switched to Rotella T after 150 miles on the bike. Much much less vibration (and smoother shifting). Dealer put Yamalube in when i took it in for the 600 mile service. I thought they had broken my bike when i started it up at first because of the vibration. I'm at 2500 now and will be switch back to Rotella at my next change, probably this week.

It's also possible they overfilled it. I think that could cause similar issues. My last service on the GS 500 the shop underfilled her by 1 quart! SO check carefully - don't assume they did it right.

Well to answer some of the questions;
I now have 4500 miles, just put in Mobil 1, I have bar back, and foam grips.
My right hand does better than left but still my hands get numb.
The feeling around the buzz is from the triple clamp right on up.
I've read all the suggestions and resolutions, I'm wondering that maybe some sort of rubber piece as an isolation would be the answer but where - oversizing the bar clamp diameter to add a rubber piece but then there is the clamp bolts that would be the issue. Hmmm for this maybe drill out the threads longer bolt with isolation washer and nut...
Something to think about - would this take away from the steering "feel", if so how much and would it be worth it?

I have the same setup (mobile 1, risers, grip puppies). My buzz is real bad at the triple clamp area. I was thinking about adding an isolator weight between the bar clamps to absorb the vibration (rubber mounted 2 lb weight). Going to mock it up this weekend and take for a spin if it doesnt storm.

Back