17T Front Sprocket + Vibranator Bar Ends = Awesome

Drew Terry

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my 2006 FZ6 for a year now, purchased with 9,119 miles now 13,522. I've had issues with handlebar vibrations putting my throttle hand to sleep. I bought the bike primarily to commute 10 miles to work for which the buzziness has not been an issue, however, it has kept me from enjoying the occasional weekend ride for anything longer than 30 to 45 minutes - a real bummer for a bike I otherwise enjoy very much.

Thanks to the forum members on various threads here, I tried filling the bars with lead shot, ProGrips gel grips, grip puppies, and FZ1 bars (a definite improvement, but did nothing for the vibration). I considered buying a different bike for this year, but reconsidered after finding out about the Vibranator Bar Ends. With a 30 day money back guarantee, the risk was $17 shipping (each way). I dumped the lead out and Wow! What a difference. Definite improvement.

Still not quite satisfied, I decided to change the front sprocket to 17T and of course, this is what I should have done FIRST. Sooooo much better, I can't believe it. It feels like much less vibration not just in the bars but in the entire bike - seat, pegs, tank. I don't notice any real difference with acceleration, of course I'm not racing away from every stop. Definitely less frequent shifting, more room between gears, top gear is 72 mph at 6000 rpm and call me crazy but it feels less buzzy than it did before at 6000 rpm. I don't know why.

The first ride out to test I passed a sheriff clocking traffic, pulled in and told him I needed to verify my speedo, asked him if I could make a pass. He was happy to help, and the bike speedo was dead on at 50 mph, which is nice.

I'm now going to go back to the stock bar ends to see the difference, but I'll probably end up keeping the Vibranator ends. Every little bit helps.

17T front sprocket is what I should have done first.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum. I've learned more here than anywhere else.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear I did the fz1 bars and dual compound grips stock ends just having a new chain and correct slack made a huge improvement but the stock bars hurt my wrists

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear of another happy 17T camper! I made myself some custom bar ends about a year ago that weigh twice what the stock ones weighed. That combined with the bigger front sprocket means I have never had a problem with hand vibration or fatigue even when riding 6 hours in a day. I agree that the 17T sprocket smooths everything out.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been contemplating a 17t for a while now as my 30 minute commute to work is all highway at 65mph. I think this helped me make up my mind!

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Another vote for the 17t sprocket. I do a lot of highway mileage/commuting, so I'm a fan of it :) Plus the speedometer is pretty much dead on.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my 2006 FZ6 for a year now, purchased with 9,119 miles now 13,522. I've had issues with handlebar vibrations putting my throttle hand to sleep. I bought the bike primarily to commute 10 miles to work for which the buzziness has not been an issue, however, it has kept me from enjoying the occasional weekend ride for anything longer than 30 to 45 minutes - a real bummer for a bike I otherwise enjoy very much.

Thanks to the forum members on various threads here, I tried filling the bars with lead shot, ProGrips gel grips, grip puppies, and FZ1 bars (a definite improvement, but did nothing for the vibration). I considered buying a different bike for this year, but reconsidered after finding out about the Vibranator Bar Ends. With a 30 day money back guarantee, the risk was $17 shipping (each way). I dumped the lead out and Wow! What a difference. Definite improvement.

Still not quite satisfied, I decided to change the front sprocket to 17T and of course, this is what I should have done FIRST. Sooooo much better, I can't believe it. It feels like much less vibration not just in the bars but in the entire bike - seat, pegs, tank. I don't notice any real difference with acceleration, of course I'm not racing away from every stop. Definitely less frequent shifting, more room between gears, top gear is 72 mph at 6000 rpm and call me crazy but it feels less buzzy than it did before at 6000 rpm. I don't know why.

The first ride out to test I passed a sheriff clocking traffic, pulled in and told him I needed to verify my speedo, asked him if I could make a pass. He was happy to help, and the bike speedo was dead on at 50 mph, which is nice.

I'm now going to go back to the stock bar ends to see the difference, but I'll probably end up keeping the Vibranator ends. Every little bit helps.

17T front sprocket is what I should have done first.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum. I've learned more here than anywhere else.

Thanks.:cheer: Nice review. It's very helpful.:rockon:

Brasscap

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed a 17t counter sprocket yesterday and I really like it. Bought my '06 about a month ago and it already had the heavy bar ends. I would like to convert to the fz1 bars too. I commute 78 mi so comfort means everything. Love this little bike and feels so different than my bmw r1100rt. I plan to keep the 600 for a long time.

Reaction score
Visit site
Back to 17t again on my bike. Bought it a couple years ago, but only used it briefly.
It's nice to have lower rpm's on highway again, especially after using a 15t recently.

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to change to 17t sprocket but I'm thinking it may be difficult, that a sprocket is usually difficult to remove? I don't want to pick the bike apart to find it's impossible..

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
It's pretty straight forward. Take off the front sprocket guard (three allen bolts). Next use a flathead screwdriver and hammer to flatten the lock washer around the sprocket nut. Next place something in the rear wheel between the swingarm to prevent it from spinning, or just have someone hold the rear brake tightly. Loosen the sprocket nut. Then loosen rear axle, slide wheel forward, replace sprocket with larger one, replace nut, bend lock washer, set chain tension and alignment, and replace sprocket cover.

It's a simple hour long job with the right tools.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Did mine today (first time) and I had to take the rear wheel off. I know some can do it w/o taking it off but for some reason I couldn't get enough slack in the chain to get the front sprocket on.....maybe thats a good thing (chain isn't worn too much). Anyways.....very easy job....take your time and torque to the specs and double check everything.
Tomorrow I'll see what difference it makes.