ban saw+ windscreen= not good

jblancer42

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've been inspired by this forum (I'll blame you all) and I bought a slightly wrecked fz6 I repainted repaired it, and have done several mods thanks to the knowledge here. I'll post pics when its all done and I'm almost there.

Tonight I thought I would cut down my screen as my head is right in the turbulence zone, and I have yet to hear my engine. I thought no big deal, I'll just use my nice ban saw go real slow on my origianl and then flame polish it and impress you all. Long story short I got the screen to the last cut and CRACK, the screen split in two. I wasn't holding it down tight enough and it bounced off the table. Oh well, no one was hurt and I gave it a shot.

Here's my favor does anyone have an original for a 2007 or up that I could have/buy cheaply to try again. I'm going to use a hand saw this time, but I think this is the route I want to try before a puig. I'll gladly pay for shipping. I'm a high school teacher so trying to keep the cost down, but pm and we can work something out. Thanks.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I still have my original windscreen in the attic, I'll check first thing tomorrow.
But, do you part your hair in the middle? Maybe a crack down the center would be good! :BLAA: :spank: :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He'd be distracted..... :spank:

OP - Broke as it may be, you have what you need to do a TEST and see if the amount gave the results you wanted. You can screw the old one together, wire tire it with criss cross hole drilling or what ever. But Get SOME KNOWLEDGE with it. You can't add back so easily so test away!

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a dremel, or could borrow one, it is a nice tool for cutting plastics. Hold it firmly tho, as they can try to get away on you.
I did the trim job with the screen mounted in place, and used an old bed sheet to cover the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've cut several shields (from my FJR-the heater!) )down with a 60" (blade lenth) band saw.

I taped up anything near the cut and drew my markings on the tape.

I also used a blade for METAL (much finer teeth). Also, cut off smaller pieces before getting to your final DESTINATION. Your's likely broke as the large, almost, cut off piece pulled on the rest of the shield.

And as Randy posted, RIDE THE BIKE FIRST, before hacking up the shield. You may very well NOT have an issue.

My stock shield, for around town, (or CLEAN/undisturbed air on the highway) works fine (I'm about 5'8"). Its generally warm to hot down here, I want air flow but not at the expense of comfort.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
For future band saw endeavors.... It's doable but you have to take it real slow and preferably have a new blade, feeding to fast puts stress into the plastic which eventually results in cracking ;)

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
i cut a spare (or two) :( with a dremel with no issues......

but I can tell you from my experience that I never saw any improvement in turbulence with any cut, even with wide slits cut to let the air vent in. I only cut an inch or two at a time until I was WAY down, and if there was any change it wasn't noticeable enough to fool with. YMMV

Reaction score
Visit site
i cut a spare (or two) :( with a dremel with no issues......

but I can tell you from my experience that I never saw any improvement in turbulence with any cut, even with wide slits cut to let the air vent in. I only cut an inch or two at a time until I was WAY down, and if there was any change it wasn't noticeable enough to fool with. YMMV

+1 nothing really helped, and I gave up trying..