Balancing issues

Shantheman

Reaction score
Visit site
U are absolutely right. Good call. My wife said the same thing tonite...and this is AFTER she raised my life insurance. Haha

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Fill me in...what are dyna beads? Is that a brand/model of tire?

No, they are ceramic??? small round beads, that get installed into the tire. They either go through the valve stem or get inserted into the tire during mounting. I've used them for a few hundred miles on my FZ after putting new tires on and they;ve worked great. I did not like the stick on weights, they looked like hell, which is why I switched. :thumbup:

S

Shamus McFeeley

Yeah, sorry it took me this long to respond, been on the road.

Like what jcfz6 said, dynabeads are small ceramic beads. I have never once had a problem with them. I've done trackdays, ridden 1,000 miles in a day, no shimmy at any speed.

Shantheman

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, sorry it took me this long to respond, been on the road.

Like what jcfz6 said, dynabeads are small ceramic beads. I have never once had a problem with them. I've done trackdays, ridden 1,000 miles in a day, no shimmy at any speed.

Any noise at low speeds? Just curious...

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
I put them in my tires I just replaced last month. The previous owner had them in the tires I had removed. The shop I had my tires installed at said they were good to use instead of static weights. I only hear them, when I am doing maintenance on my bike and manually rolling the wheels.

Shantheman

Reaction score
Visit site
Well...i got my bike back today. Rear brake is working again thankfully.

The high speed balance seemed to have worked...but at moderate speeds...i feel a slight wobble effect. I'm thinking because of the tape weights that are not in the center of the rim, but more toward the outside.

They should ideally be toward the center, correct? I wonder if I simply moved them more to the middle...

Anyone have thoughts on the weight's ideal location? I'm thinking i'm going to go with the dynabeads at this point...

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
When cycle gear did mine they put the weights on each side. 2 weights on each side of the rear wheel, and 1 on each side of the front. They're black so they blend in well. I'm still planning on getting the dynabeads at some point.

I'd buy some black ones and stick half the weight where the shop put the weights, and the other half on the other side.

No opposing mind you, just on the left/right sides. I don't have any wobble or shimmy issues. And the guys that have them with dynabeads find all the beads clumped together when they pull the tire. Usually cause the guy at the shop used a handful of grease on the bead.

Last edited:

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
The dyna beads are really cheap and very quick to install, maybe try that out and see if it helps to smooth everything out. All you have to do is deflate the tire, remove the valve core, install the beads, reinstall the valve core, and reinflate the tire. Took me 15min total to do both front and rear tire, and that was because I tried to pour the beads too fast and they clogged up in the rear...

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned or brought up yet......, is the front rim on backwards?

26660d1270945404-r6-fork-install-another-one-dp_100401_02.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tire should have an arrow on for direction, which as stated above, should be in the same direction as the wheel...

They may end up remounting the tire to the wheel and putting it back on correctly..

Good luck

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, son. You are having one helluva bad shop experience. Those people need to not be in business anymore.

And for the record, I'm on the third set of tires I've installed myself without changing the original weights from the first pair of tires, and have never had any sort of shimmy at any speed. Each new set of tires I keep checking the balance, it looks fine, I install the wheels back on, and never have an issue. So I can only conclude that the slight imbalance the weights are correcting is with the cast wheels themselves, and the tires are coming pretty damned close to perfectly balanced from the factory. (Metz Z6, then Metz Z6 Interract, now Michelin Pilot 2ct).

Shantheman

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, son. You are having one helluva bad shop experience. Those people need to not be in business anymore.

And for the record, I'm on the third set of tires I've installed myself without changing the original weights from the first pair of tires, and have never had any sort of shimmy at any speed. Each new set of tires I keep checking the balance, it looks fine, I install the wheels back on, and never have an issue. So I can only conclude that the slight imbalance the weights are correcting is with the cast wheels themselves, and the tires are coming pretty damned close to perfectly balanced from the factory. (Metz Z6, then Metz Z6 Interract, now Michelin Pilot 2ct).

I'm also wondering if the brand of tire they put on is one of the problems (aside from the dumbos at the shop messing everything else up)

It was a few bucks cheaper (not much) but they sold me a brand called 'Vee Rubber'. I'm more of a weekend/hobby rider...and the tires coming off were pretty bald (but no vibrations at speed).

As I was riding tonite...I managed to look down at about 25mph, and noticed the rim was perfectly true, but I saw the front tire moving as though it was wobbling side to side slightly.

I DO NOT want to go back to that shop. Anyone have experience with this brand? Maybe I need to bite the bullet and go with some Conti's or something.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
QUOTE "It was a few bucks cheaper (not much) but they sold me a brand called 'Vee Rubber'. I'm more of a weekend/hobby rider...and the tires coming off were pretty bald (but no vibrations at speed).

As I was riding tonite...I managed to look down at about 25mph, and noticed the rim was perfectly true, but I saw the front tire moving as though it was wobbling side to side slightly.

I DO NOT want to go back to that shop. Anyone have experience with this brand? Maybe I need to bite the bullet and go with some Conti's or something". QUOTE

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've never heard of that tire but have found purchasing a known, good tire is WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT. A cheap tire failing will cost much more in the end (new tires, wrecked bike, personal injury, etc).

I put Michilin Pilot 2's and won't use anything else... They'll be going on my FJR once the Bridgestones wear out as well...

BTW, something my shop guy does when mounting tires is put a piece of masking tape with an arrow on it, stuck to the wheel showing direction of rotation. Its not hard to mess up if your not paying attention or the previous tire was on backwards...

Last edited:

Shantheman

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok...i saw a video on youtube showing the steering bounce test to see if you have bad steering head bearings. One of my sides bounces. 8-(
(assuming that is legit method)

How much should I expect to pay for the steering head bearings to be replaced if they are bad?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
the location (center or side)doesnt matter.
You may have more serious issues.
Maybe check your steering head bearings.

ok...i saw a video on youtube showing the steering bounce test to see if you have bad steering head bearings. One of my sides bounces. 8-(
(assuming that is legit method)

how much should i expect to pay for the steering head bearings to be replaced if they are bad?

winner
winner
chicken
dinner!!!!

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Also, wtf is the bounce test?
Put your bike on the center stand and grab the forks. Wiggle them. Do they move?
Do you hear a thunk when you hit bumps?
Do you feel a notchiness when you move the handle bars?
They may just need tightening.