Back tire feels like it slipping even when riding straight

jv'sFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have brand new tires that I replaced because the center of the rear was worn so I figured it could be causing the slipping but still doing it anyone have any idea why it would feel like its sliding? really makes for a nerve racking ride wish I could figure it out <help>

B

bluenova

I would also check alignment being that the tire just got replaced.

+1, I doubt it's slipping in a straight line unless you are seriously giving it some even with a new tire. It's probably stepping out to the side if it's not in line to the rest of the bike.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds kind of fishy to me. I would check the alignment too. Even in the first 100 miles it should not be slipping that noticably.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
when is it slipping??? durring regular strait ridding, during cornering, durring braking... if its during the time you press on the rear brake, then you may need to use more of the front.. i have had some minor slippage issues with a used rear and rear braking... your right, very nerve racking...

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I had that issue, my tire was very low on air...just an idea to check out. eliminate all possibilities before you spend money ;)

jv'sFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
there is at least 4-5 hundred miles on tires pressure was good had to refill when I pulled out of garage first time this year......didn't even realize there was a way to check alignment on 2 wheels....will have to look into that rear suspension wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

B

bluenova

there is at least 4-5 hundred miles on tires pressure was good had to refill when I pulled out of garage first time this year......didn't even realize there was a way to check alignment on 2 wheels....will have to look into that rear suspension wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

When doing the chain tightening (or replace the rear wheel) you have a bolt on each side of the wheel, these have to be balanced so that the tire is in a steight line to the rest of the bike, otherwise the rear of the bike would pull to one side giving the effect of slipping. There is a really good post on the forum somewhere explaining a good method to check alignment, I'll try and dig it out.

Ok not on this site, but from a user on the site...
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/sportryderswheelalignmentmethod.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When was your last oil change? what oil did they/you use when you did the oil change. It might be your clutch slipping and not the tires at all. also when was the last time your clutch cable was lubed and adjusted?

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I'm gonna be the A$$ of this one, but :rtfm: When my brother and housemate had their bikes and were working on them, I brought out the printed factory service manual (available on this site for free somewhere) and said

"Behold, everything for your FZ6 answers can be answered in this FZ6 Bible. It shall guide thee and answer thy questions of yore and future. Treat it with respect!"

Then I drank beer and they said they'd rather ask me questions since I've read it. fail.

long story short, symptoms are also listed in your manual. If nothing is there, ask away! Good suggestions so far!

jv'sFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
do you think that an over inflated tire could give the same result as under? Also was reading the manual about rear suspension I am 6'4 about 200lbs what setting would be good for a casual rider? one more question as long as the adjustment screws are in proper position then the alignment is good right? I also don't understand why my tires would say to inflate to 42 psi if its suppose to be at 36 per the book sorry I pretty new at this my very first motorcycle

B

bluenova

do you think that an over inflated tire could give the same result as under? Also was reading the manual about rear suspension I am 6'4 about 200lbs what setting would be good for a casual rider? one more question as long as the adjustment screws are in proper position then the alignment is good right? I also don't understand why my tires would say to inflate to 42 psi if its suppose to be at 36 per the book sorry I pretty new at this my very first motorcycle

Pre-load setting on the suspension should be around 4 for your weight, but you need to try out 3, 4 and 5 and see how they feel to you, especially in the bends and over bumps.

The alignment lines are not very accurate, I would not trust them. Look down the chain and see if it's streight, if you are still not sure do the string method (as per link in previous post).

PSI on tire side wall is the maximum for the tire which should not be exceeded. 36 PSI is the suggested value for use on an FZ6 under normal load, go with 36.

Don't be sorry, if you don't ask you don't learn :thumbup:

bazza

I'll sleep when I die!!
Reaction score
Visit site
It could be the clutch. try going slow say 30kmh and change up to top gear. if bike shudders then clucth OK if no shudder clutch could be the problem. Sometimes when clutch slips it can feel like bike slipping around even in corners. Goodluck!

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you took the whole bike in to get the tires changed, take it back to them and tell them to make sure the wheels were reinstalled properly. You have to loosen the alignment bolts to get the wheels off, and remove the axel etc. so they could have fouled up the reinstall. Hopefully the right tire series was used.

Other than that, the clutch sounds like the best suspect, given that you have checked the tire pressure and it's ok. I don't think that overinflation would cause that. Not sure - would a burned out clutch smell?

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
well everyone is hinting and blaming the bike for slipping but i would like to question the rider. No offense when i say this, but the way you're riding may be causing your back tire to slip depending on when your changing gears. There may be some other people on here that may be able to explain better but when changing gears and and breaking and what not, make sure your engine rpm's are matching your rear tire speed. If not, when you are switching gears and they dont match up, this can def cause a slip in the rear tire, esp if your going into corners and in combination with low psi etc.... i am sure that someone else can expand or explain better on the topic if i am being too confusing and/or vague... any thoughts?