August 16-18, 2013 - Skyline Dr, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and West VA

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the hold up! I'm in, also sent a pm. I'm good with any route, telescope or not! I will meet in front royal, anyone else who might be doing the same from Virginia let me know!

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, So as of right now we have 4 people set up to go.

BamBam
Ohendo
Lghtmgr
gottherim4

If it is ok with you all I will reserve two rooms and put my credit card down. You guys can just pay me later.

IS everyone ok with the longer route? I'd prefer to make it into West Virginia a little farther, I've heard some fantastic things about the roads there.

I wanted to make sure. I know gottherim4 wants to take the one to go by the telescope. Any other opinions?

Also, Does anyone have a GPS that allows maps and routes to be accepted from basecamp?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

BamBam
Ohendo
Lghtmgr
gottherim4

If it is ok with you all I will reserve two rooms and put my credit card down. You guys can just pay me later.

IS everyone ok with the longer route? I'd prefer to make it into West Virginia a little farther, I've heard some fantastic things about the roads there.

I wanted to make sure. I know gottherim4 wants to take the one to go by the telescope. Any other opinions?

Also, Does anyone have a GPS that allows maps and routes to be accepted from basecamp?

Awesome, thanks for doing that.
My GPS doesn't accept base camp files. Isn't there a way to plan the route on google maps, then everyone can share it on their smart phones, assuming they have one? Seems like a simple solution should be out there.

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site

BamBam
Ohendo
Lghtmgr
gottherim4

Ok on the rooms, Thanks. any route is good with me, I'll be riding back to Tampa whatever route or direction I find over the course the following 7 days.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so the rooms are booked and we are set. Now I just have to figure out the GPS and routes.

Here is the link to our trip.

August Bike Trip - Google Maps

You all are welcome to send it to your phones and we can use it to track our whereabouts, but unfortunately I can't figure out how to get the navigation to follow the route in Google.

That is why I'm trying to get Basecamp to do that for us. Now, Basecamp does not come with a routeable map...So I'm trying to download that now. I'll keeo everyone updated once I have it figured out.

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
Piece of advice. If you are going to come all the way down to Va...skip WVa and hit these two spots....

US-501 S/Glasgow Hwy to US-501 S/VA-130 E/Elon Rd/Virginia Byway - Google Maps

Co Rd 622/Bear Creek Rd to VA-16 N - Google Maps

;)
YES! I have been though both the areas for work many times but only in a car or work truck, I myself after the ride was heading through Glasgow to Lynchburg to visit kids and old friends.
Shame I lived in VA for almost 10 years and never got another bike to ride.
looking forward to visiting and riding some of the roads I drove before heading back to FL.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Piece of advice. If you are going to come all the way down to Va...skip WVa and hit these two spots....

US-501 S/Glasgow Hwy to US-501 S/VA-130 E/Elon Rd/Virginia Byway - Google Maps

Co Rd 622/Bear Creek Rd to VA-16 N - Google Maps

;)

The first link looks like we could fit it into the trip and looks great! thanks for the tip!

The second is a bit far for us. Especially for Ohendo and I coming from PA. Especially if this is just a Friday-Sunday trip! I will keep these in mind! thanks!

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for doing that.
My GPS doesn't accept base camp files. Isn't there a way to plan the route on google maps, then everyone can share it on their smart phones, assuming they have one? Seems like a simple solution should be out there.

I think I found the solution for getting the route to our smartphones, Android anyhow, and then having navigation. Go to BamBam's google map link on a desktop PC: August Bike Trip - Google Maps

Then make sure to sign in to Google at the top right.

Now you should see a link at the top of the left side directions list that reads "Save to My Places." Click the link and it should read "Bookmarked"

Now open Maps on your Android phone. Click Layers > My Maps > "August Bike Trip"

You should now have the whole route mapped on your screen.

This is where it gets a little tricky, and I am not 100% sure if I am right, but it appears we cannot navigate to more than one place in a row (navigate the whole trip in one take). I think you will need to open Maps at every stop we take and start Navigation for the next stop. This is what I plan on doing.

I have not used Maps like this before, so I plan to test it before we go to make sure it works as expected.

Side note, I went to JMU in Harrisonburg, short drive north on 81 from Staunton (day 3 food stop). If we can stretch it that far, there will be way more food options in Harrisonburg because it is a sizeable college town. I checked and the 16th-18th is perfect because the students dont show up until after our trip. Let me know if you all have any questions about VA I might be able to help answer. Once we get past Waynesboro I am in the dark though!

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok On Harrisonburg, I altered the trip a little bit so we will have a few more twisties when we go to Harrisonburg. (good suggestion gottherim4)

I checked out what you said above about using google maps. I found that I can import the map to my Android phone and use navigation, but it will not navigate along the route I choose. It will only get me to each waypoint....So, I think the best solution is to try and use a GPS...or, if all else fails, use printed maps and i'll just look to my tank bag for directions.

There is a really cool looking section I want to hit on the Shenandoah Mountain Road, Highway 250, right after we turn towards Harrisonburg. I marked it with a blue flag, check it out.

Also, I didn't know where to stop in Harrisonburg, So we can just let gottherim lead us once we get there.

Each leg is now also marked with a different color. I should have placed a gas station at the end of each of these legs. The longest leg without a gas station is Day 2 Leg 1, 114mi. But, I think we should be able to make each leg with one tank of gas. But, even in the event we can't I marked off plenty of stops for gas along the way.

The updated map is this;

Updated Bike Trip

Last edited:

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
501 Is the route I will be taking to Lynchburg to Visit. Use to drive to go out to I81 when I had to go to Winchester or WV for work. Twisty with scenery. can't say for the second half for sure only used 507 & 130, Although the section on Peaks Gap Rd looks pretty cool to me on the map.

Check this route out as a suggested excursion off the parkway and back on before hitting the Roanoke area. the loop is about 22 miles before hitting the parkway again.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...ll=37.595328,-79.438705&spn=0.092081,0.209255

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
501 Is the route I will be taking to Lynchburg to Visit. Use to drive to go out to I81 when I had to go to Winchester or WV for work. Twisty with scenery. can't say for the second half for sure only used 507 & 130, Although the section on Peaks Gap Rd looks pretty cool to me on the map.

Check this route out as a suggested excursion off the parkway and back on before hitting the Roanoke area. the loop is about 22 miles before hitting the parkway again.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...ll=37.595328,-79.438705&spn=0.092081,0.209255

Ok, The updated map and trip can be found at the URL above.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I added 501 and I added a section in Virginia. Highway 250. It is the White section. It looks great. I figure we can see how it goes and make a few runs through it!

I'm looking at using a Tomtom Rider GPS and I used the TYRE application to map the trip. Basecamp started to give me problems and wasn't the most user friendly.

Let me know