assembly question

whootmon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello to all and thanks in advance. my son wrecked his 2005 fz6 and iam in the process of putting it back together with all new abs. My problem is i cant find a picture or part number for the screw ,bolt or what ever it is that connects the windsheild to the front fairing where it curves under in the very front. It sort of looks like hawks beak

Iam sorry but it isnt the same as part number 3 i ordered some of those for the new windsheld. The part iam looking for has to have male and female ends as there is no place to just screw a screw into its hollow space above the hole in cowling and windsheld.

Iam sorry but it isnt the same as part number 3 i ordered some of those for the new windsheld. The part iam looking for has to have male and female ends as there is no place to just screw a screw into its hollow space above the hole in cowling and windsheld.

Is there a chance that it is a #26 into a #8

It could be iam afirefighter and iam at work (24 hours in a row ) so i cant look at it until tomorrow ill check it then. I really dont think that will be the right parts but you could very well be right thank you all for quick and helpful responce.

Here's what you do:

Go into a motorcycle shop and buy a WINDSCREEN SCREW kit. You'll get new colors, stronger screws with rubber bungs to connect everything.

$20. Trust me, it's worth it. Those stock screws on the windscreen are crappy plastic, you want anodized metal with different colors!!

2007_Keiti_Windscreen_Screw_Kit.jpg

Last edited:
I am sorry but...

I have a 2005 and have taken off the windshield - I am quite sure that the #3 screw is the one you need - though it sounds like you also need a #4 to screw it into.

If you go to the link I provided, you'll note that the part count on #3 and #4 is 5 - two of each on both sides by the mirrors, and one each under the nose.

Elm - maybe the newer bikes use plastic, but the 2005 has metal screws, not that anodized screws aren't cool...no one would ever see them. (under mirror boots and under the nose - out of sight)

i have an 04 and mine are the crappy plastic so the 05 should be the same unless someone has already repalced them with metal ones

i have an 04 and mine are the crappy plastic so the 05 should be the same unless someone has already repalced them with metal ones

Hadn't considered that...mine are 3mm hex head, black aluminum (I think, they're definitely soft and definitely metal - nearly stripped the one whootmon is asking about due to not having metric keys the first time I tried to remove them :eek: )

Thanks to everyone for there help the parts in question were #3 and #4 . I went to the local yamaha dealer and they happend to have an 05. I have it all together except for a #4 rubber and brass nut and one rubber bumper for the windsheld and the dealership is closed untill Tuesday. Thanks agin for your help.

Here's what you do:

Go into a motorcycle shop and buy a WINDSCREEN SCREW kit. You'll get new colors, stronger screws with rubber bungs to connect everything.

$20. Trust me, it's worth it. Those stock screws on the windscreen are crappy plastic, you want anodized metal with different colors!!

2007_Keiti_Windscreen_Screw_Kit.jpg
I went to an auto shop and got similar one to you Elm (mine are no anywhere near the same quality). I think the ones I got are used on internal door trims or dash trims.

Nelly

Thanks to everyone for there help the parts in question were #3 and #4 . I went to the local yamaha dealer and they happend to have an 05. I have it all together except for a #4 rubber and brass nut and one rubber bumper for the windsheld and the dealership is closed untill Tuesday. Thanks agin for your help.
Just a quick question... Why are you re-building your sons bike? "You bend it you mend it" lol.

Nelly

Good question one i dont have an answer for or at least a good one . My ex wife ask me the same question all the time.

Try a plastic push lock rivet available in most automotive stores. Should accomodate a diameter of .220 inches. They are available in black. Just push it in the hole and the center pin flares the end, locking the fastener in place. Removal is easy as well.

Web link to show you a picture:

http://www.wclco.com/pdf/plastics/koyo.pdf

I prefer the push rivet P-Type for this application.

I considerd that but i thought the #4 nuts rubber flange must serve as a sort of isolater or bumper between the windsheld and cowling.

The fastener is really not essential. The fasteners up by the rear view mirrors and the shape of windscreen as it curls into the fairing do a good job holding the stock windscreen in place. If you do not see any vibration at speed, I would not be concerned about that lower fastener. My 2006 actually came out of the dealer showroom without it.

Last edited:
Back