Anyone with a Givi e55 or e52? Are they comfortable?

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm really interested in buying a Givi e55 case but wanted to know how comfortable is it for a passenger to lean against. I've read some reviews online about the optional backrest for the e55 and e52, and some have said they are uncomfortable because they lean you too far forward. Others have said they are super comfortable. I was close to buying one that had a backrest already installed, but if it's pretty comfortable to lean against the case without the backrest, I'd rather just buy a case alone. When a backrest is installed, you have to make 2 holes in the case... that's kinda hard to undo lol.

I like the size and design of the e55, but it looks like it has a pretty defined edge that sticks out and wraps around the mid-back of the case. Can you even feel that on your back with some pretty decent gear/jacket on?

Thanks! :thumbup:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a e52 without the backrest, my girlfriend sits comfortably. but she tries not to put to much weight at the box. my old bike rack broke before.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
anyone who doesnt find them comfortable please PM me....I will take them off your hands at no charge!! :D

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a e52 without the backrest, my girlfriend sits comfortably. but she tries not to put to much weight at the box. my old bike rack broke before.

Can you please give more detail about your "old bike rack"? Did your old bike have a Givi system? This will be used as a backrest very often and that would be my biggest fear.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I only have V46 on mine, but I would not use any top case as a "full support" back rest without adding extra holding power if I were you. Default brackets are not rated to carry too heavy of a load. It would be very easy to exceed its load capacity if they are loaded and you have somebody also leaning on them.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you please give more detail about your "old bike rack"? Did your old bike have a Givi system? This will be used as a backrest very often and that would be my biggest fear.
yes, my previous bike have a givi rack fitted, supporting my e52 maxia. 1 side of the rack broke into 2. its probably some design flaw in the givi rack fittings to the bike (cb400), cause i was not the 1st rider that had the problem, but i wont take anymore chances on this bike.

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it's kind of a catch 22... Givi has a weight limit that I'm sure will get exceeded if someone leans against the case under heavy acceleration, yet Givi offers backrests for the top cases which encourage passengers to lean against them. I wonder how much a passenger can really lean against it before there's worry about it breaking off.

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Hello,

I have a E55 and its great. Some pictures under:
http://www.rob2222.de/fz6/mods .
I managed to get in: Helmet incl gloves and jersey, my motorcycle textil jacket and my motorcycle boots.
And my motorcycle trousers but with trousers it will be a little fight to get it closed. So with a little work I get my _full_ gear in it.

I think the givi system at the FZ6 is stable enough to be used as backrest at normal circumstances.
Maybe making wheelies with 2nd person that holds only on the E55 would a bit to much.

BR Robert

dnellans

Reaction score
Visit site
Rob2222 - it looks like you've got both the E41's with a 46 topcase in some photos then the V35 + 55 up top.

Did you really change setups at some point? (thats a lot of dough!)
The 41's + 46 look very "balanced" but the V35+55 looks extremely top heavy.

What did you finally end up with, and any +/- of either combo?

Last edited:

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Got the 46+racks at eBay, but the blue was the 2005er blue (on ebay it looked like mine 2007er) and the rack were for 2005er,too. Didnt work with my 2007er bike. There not connected to the passenger rests. Only for picture.
So I sold the whole set for the same price at eBay again.

The V35s + SW Motech side case holder I got at a 20% rebate action of a local biker company. Was good.

At last I changed the topcase from 46 to 55, cause I wanted the 55L. Was good decision, I like it.

BR Rob

dnellans

Reaction score
Visit site
Are people using the motech rack for the V35's just because it looks cleaner or price or ? I couldn't figure out from the other threads why folks aren't just using the givi PLX rack?

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest advantage with the motech racks over the plx racks is that you can remove them. With the Givi's you're stuck with those tubular racks on the sides when you remove the cases. The SW-Motechs can be completely removed except for a couple small mounting tabs.