Anyone up for a tour of Tassie!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i have decided that next year i am not going to go the World Superbikes round at Phillip Island, instead, i am going to take a 10 day trip to Tassie on my bike!

Something i have always wanted to do, and apparently Tassie is pretty bike friendly in lots of ways...

There just happens to be a great touring guide to Tassie in the July/August edition of Australian Road Rider magazine...including 6 pre-set tours that you can do whilst your there....

I am going to take the Missus, and i will be doing it on either the "Touring Mule" FZ6, or maybe on an upgraded touring bike...i do very much like the look of the new Triumph Sprint GT that has just been released for the amazing price of $15999 Australian!!!!

Much more affordable, and sensible than my previous infatuation, the BMW 1300R!!!

Am going to take off in the first week that the kids, and Uni's go back to school after end of year/ christmas break....quiet time for work, and probably a quiet time for rubbernecking, wrong side of road lurking tourists in their Brit's vans!!!!

Weather should be tip top about then too????

Now it's off to find out all the info about Ferry's, Accomodation, etc, etc...

If anyone is interested in joining me and my partner on a bike touring holiday in Tassie, about the end of January next year....

?????

:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like awesome fun & Kel is really interested but alas i've just started my new job & wont have holidays :spank: :(

Your right about the Trumpy Sprint , it looks sweet , has the magical triple sound , single sided swing arm & at that price :eek: you could never go wrong :thumbup:... Did i mention that sexy underseat zorst setup :D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V74CRql5c54&feature=related]YouTube - IXIL exhaust on an 07 Triumph Sprint ST 1050[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vl6ZsLfyMs"]YouTube- Moto Triumph Sprint ST 1050 sound of D&D[/ame]

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound great, but I think we are going to the Supers instead.

Riding around Tassie on a tourer - something we definitely wanna do in the future.

As for the Trumpy? Just buy one........ go on, dare ya :D

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait a minute I am already there!!!!!!!!!!

If ya need any help with anything just let me know, I know the state pretty well, I know accomodation, I know roads, just sing out if you want to know anything!!!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait a minute I am already there!!!!!!!!!!

If ya need any help with anything just let me know, I know the state pretty well, I know accomodation, I know roads, just sing out if you want to know anything!!!!

I will be sending you a PM in a few days time i reckon, when i get the time to do a bit of research...

And cheers for the offer, would be great to catch up for a ride with another Fizzer, whlist i am down there!

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Its funny you mentioned it because my missus and I where thinking along similar lines, but in the end decided to go overseas since she hasn't been overseas properly yet (NZ doesn't count).
Would love to hear how it goes for you, since its definately on the list of things to do next year, if a little later than when your going!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its funny you mentioned it because my missus and I where thinking along similar lines, but in the end decided to go overseas since she hasn't been overseas properly yet (NZ doesn't count).
Would love to hear how it goes for you, since its definately on the list of things to do next year, if a little later than when your going!

And for a second there, i thought i had a riding buddy or two....

:(

Would love for another couple to come along for the ride....This one is all about riding, catching the sites, and historical significance of Tassie, and most importantly, eating, drinking, and being merry.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
You never know, I'll mention this too her as well.
In the end as you can imagine she generally has the last decision :p

I'm also somewhat hampered by the new course I'm starting soon :(

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You never know, I'll mention this too her as well.
In the end as you can imagine she generally has the last decision :p

I'm also somewhat hampered by the new course I'm starting soon :(

Lol! I just told my missus to get the time off work, cause i am going to spoil her for about 10 days.... Worked brilliantly....mentioned dinners, sights, and shopping, and she was all over it!

:D

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine unfortunately is still in the "Everything must be planned down to the last second" phase, makes the planning go very slowly :p

I did manage to justify getting a new camera however to take pictures of her and where-ever we went.

sPin0011

Just a bloke
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey wolfman. Great to hear you're touring the state. The wife and myself have done a lot of touring around this magic state of TAS. Glad to help with advice of hot spots accomodation etc. We live about 20 mins from the Spirit boat so you drop in for coffee/chat/breakfast on the first day if you wish :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey wolfman. Great to hear you're touring the state. The wife and myself have done a lot of touring around this magic state of TAS. Glad to help with advice of hot spots accomodation etc. We live about 20 mins from the Spirit boat so you drop in for coffee/chat/breakfast on the first day if you wish :rockon:

I cant freaking wait!!!! Have wanted to do a tour of Tassie for years! Just sat down in front of the PC now...to start my research...

Now if you Tassie boys could maybe give me some idea's of some good roads & rides....i do like corners a lot, yes, even when 2 up with gear and all, and i hate bumpy roads!

And i will be making a point of catching up with our Tassie forum members, and Brekky sounds great, but to go for a ride withy ya's would be even better!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Tasmanian Country Club have put together 6 tours that are set up using the Country Club as a "Base".....Here is a short run down of each run...

What do you Tassie Guys think of these runs?

A snap shot of the six routes

Five Beaches
Head to the coast and experience the laidback charm and natural beauty of the region’s finest beaches – Gravelly Beach, Beauty Point, Greens Beach, Low Head and Bridport.

History Run
Take a step back in time and imagine what life was like for the early settlers. Passes five of Northern Tasmania’s most significant homesteads – Entally House, Brickendon,
Woolmers Estate, Clarendon House and Franklin House – as well as the village of Evandale.

Mountains, Mines and Meadows
This former Targa stage takes in the rolling hills of the Meander Valley and North-West Tasmania against the backdrop of the Great Western Tiers mountain range. Return to Launceston via the gold mining town of Beaconsfield.

Three Passes
Takes in three of the best motorcycling roads in Australia – the Sideling winding through Scottsdale, the myrtle rainforests of Weldborough Pass and the dramatic ridges of Elephant Pass. A challenging route best suited to experienced riders. Download the review of this route below.

Vineyards Run
Traverses the iconic Tamar Valley and its surrounding wineries, showcasing beautiful vistas across the river and the ever-changing vines. Take the time to enjoy the finer things in life.

Wild Mountains
Weaves through acres of lush farmland and ascends Mt Blackwood before opening out onto the central highlands. Takes in the historic village of Bothwell before returning to Launceston along the Midland Highway.

Any good???

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Three Passes
Takes in three of the best motorcycling roads in Australia – the Sideling winding through Scottsdale, the myrtle rainforests of Weldborough Pass and the dramatic ridges of Elephant Pass. A challenging route best suited to experienced riders. Download the review of this route below.

Any good???

Sounds like a great trip,When they a challenging route they are NOT kidding,those roads can be quite tricky.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great trip,When they a challenging route they are NOT kidding,those roads can be quite tricky.

I found some extremely challenging roads in the Pyrennes Mountains a long time ago....basically one lane wide "goat tracks" that had sheer cliff drop-off's, and mad truck drivers coming at speed from the other direction...they cant be that challenging can they???

:eek:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found some extremely challenging roads in the Pyrennes Mountains a long time ago....basically one lane wide "goat tracks" that had sheer cliff drop-off's, and mad truck drivers coming at speed from the other direction...they cant be that challenging can they???

Thats exactly what they are like !
Look out for log trucks !

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I posted this once before,99 bends coming into Queenstown on the west coast of tassie,take notice that these guys can't ride either.Crossing double lines all the time !
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eF3I-R365s"]YouTube- 99 bends[/ame]

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats exactly what they are like !
Look out for log trucks !

Lol! Well, i will be steeering clear of "Goat Tracks"....i am not 21 anymore, and i dont enjoy a challenge that much...especially on a ROAD bike that with 2 people and gear on it, will weigh in excess of 350kg's!