Anyone put an airhorn on their bike?

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy folks.

Got an airhorn a few years ago to put on a ninja250, since it wasn't fast I thought I'd at least give it a bit of bark. Well, I'm selling that now and so I took the horn off and put it back to stock. I decided I might as well put it on my FZ6, but I'm having trouble.

First off I have a naked conversion cause I crashed my cowling, so that makes things more difficult. I'm trying to put it somewhere without it looking ridiculous. I got it hooked up to the old horn mount, but I can't get it to clear the fender. When I was setting it up I knew it'd be close, but no matter what rotating or bending I do with it, I think it's too big and it's always going to hit the fender on hard braking/ braking and hitting bumps. Has anyone done this and modded it to fit?

Any other ideas as well? An option I saw would be hanging it off the side of the frame, out of the old cowling mount, but then I'd just have a tumor of a horn hanging off the side of the bike. Someone else suggested trying to fit it under the seat, but I don't know if that's possible.

Ideas?

The picture makes it look like it has no chance, but really it's a lot closer than it looks. The very back of the horn is only just hitting that little lip on the fender that curls up, if it was smooth I think the horn would clear.

0asNZug.jpg

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I will try to post up a photo later.

I zip tied the Stebel horn to one of the side radiator guards. Using a piece of rubber material to dampen vibration and 4 or 5 zip ties it has held perfectly.

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool thanks, sounds....interesting to be honest.

I'm not above a zip tie solution but in general I like to try to keep things tidy. I'm open to whatever works and keeps it out of the way tho.

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
I Have mine mounted in the same place and have a 4" clearance to the fender lip and never have had an issue, or at least there in no evidence of there ever being an issue. Has been mounted there for over a year now.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Get it as high as you can below/behind the headlight. Try to fab up a mounting adapter that will rise it up or mount it to the fork brace maybe.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
If I remember correctly you should really keep the cylinder vertical. I've thought about throwing one of these on my naked, I'd try looking under the tail end, back by the rear shock. I'd tie it into the subframe and make sure that there is clearance for the tire hugger but you should be alright, lots of space back there. From what I hear, it's loud enough that it shouldn't matter where the horn is.

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
I Have mine mounted in the same place and have a 4" clearance to the fender lip and never have had an issue, or at least there in no evidence of there ever being an issue. Has been mounted there for over a year now.

Could you take a pic or two of that? It's weird that yours is fine but mine hits because I haven't bent the bracket or moved it at all. When it first hit I thought if I rotated it a bit it might clear, it doesn't seem to but maybe I just need to move it a bit more.

If I remember correctly you should really keep the cylinder vertical. I've thought about throwing one of these on my naked, I'd try looking under the tail end, back by the rear shock. I'd tie it into the subframe and make sure that there is clearance for the tire hugger but you should be alright, lots of space back there. From what I hear, it's loud enough that it shouldn't matter where the horn is.

I hadn't heard that about keeping it vertical, I'll check on that. Mounting it at the rear is another option, I even had someone suggest storing it under the seat somewhere. Honestly tho if I have to do that much work I'll just leave it off. I don't use it that much anyway.

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the bady boy airhorn (looks like OP picture). I have been trying to make it work for the last month but just gave up. I really wanted it under the tank/seat, so it wouldnt have to go in the front fairing (more wires to disconnect when working on the bike). Some folks put it at the bottom left, but I have a "chin spoiler" and it blocks the area. Under the tank/seat I cant get it to fit properly, even after seperating the horn and compressor. Also, I read it should be mounted vertically, but some have never had an issue with it being horizontal for several years. I can take pictures if anyone would like to see the parts/fit.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the bady boy airhorn (looks like OP picture). I have been trying to make it work for the last month but just gave up. I really wanted it under the tank/seat, so it wouldnt have to go in the front fairing (more wires to disconnect when working on the bike). Some folks put it at the bottom left, but I have a "chin spoiler" and it blocks the area. Under the tank/seat I cant get it to fit properly, even after seperating the horn and compressor. Also, I read it should be mounted vertically, but some have never had an issue with it being horizontal for several years. I can take pictures if anyone would like to see the parts/fit.

I know this is in your face and its a big ol ugly mf of a horn but it scares the heck outta cars when I come up to the window and they are on the phone. not that I only use it for that but it was the only spot I could find that would not collect road grime stone chips etc and I have put the OEM horn down behind the headlight wired in parallel. It all goes through a relay so the horn button is protected from overload/burnout. Makes for a loud warning device

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out Bonemans FZ6 sight. He installed an aftermarket airhorn and has some good pics of it on his sight. Not sure if it will work for your specific horn but its worth a look. Good luck on your project.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I've been meaning to put one of these on for years. I had an after market horn installed, but I wasn't using a relay and it stopped working correctly, so I had to go back to the stock horn.

Maybe this year I'll do the freeway blaster (or whatever little air horn is called) on my FZ6. I was planning to separate the compressor and horn and jam it all in my fairings somehow. It's getting tight in there after the HID install....

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site

Looking at this post again, do you have a Wolo Bad Boy? Or can you take a picture of this? I just went and measured and it's not even close to 4" on my bike, more like 3.

Yeah, someone suggested under the seat to me but I didn't think there'd be room. I might end up doing the same as you...

I know this is in your face and its a big ol ugly mf of a horn but it scares the heck outta cars when I come up to the window and they are on the phone. not that I only use it for that but it was the only spot I could find that would not collect road grime stone chips etc and I have put the OEM horn down behind the headlight wired in parallel. It all goes through a relay so the horn button is protected from overload/burnout. Makes for a loud warning device

This was another option I was considering cause I had the cowling mount leftover. It doesn't look too bad on your bike but you have the bonus of a black frame with the mostly black horn. On mine it'd be a black horn on silver frame/motor/tank so it'd stand out a bit :/ Still an option tho.

Check out Bonemans FZ6 sight. He installed an aftermarket airhorn and has some good pics of it on his sight. Not sure if it will work for your specific horn but its worth a look. Good luck on your project.

Thanks

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm putting a air horn on this weekend.:thumbup: A friend has one that he's going to give to me.:cheer:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That horn assembly (Stebel) CAN BE TAKEN APART for much easier mounting. The plastic part of the horn will separate from the metal. Its a 50/50 shot, the plastic retainer will break off (more later).

Once the horn is two pieces, you need to find some hose to reconnect the two (it needs to fit snug).

The below pictures is of my KLR 250 with the horn separated. The main steel pump is mounted directly under the tank, the plastic, actual horn is mounted on the left side (the plastic part is super light) under the radiator duct. You'll likely have to make a small bracket and drill the horn, then bolt together(please use a self locking nylon nut).

The above makes mounting difficult places much easier. Try to keep the hose as short as possible. The longer the hose, the longer it takes (milliseconds) for the sound to eminate.. The intake vent, black plastic, squarish, can also be trimmed down if needed (it keeps water from getting into the unit).

The first picture shows both parts bolted to the bike, the horn itself, sat under the left side cover with the outlet of the horn just poking out (you can see the fuel tank mount where the front radiator cover bolts to). The second picture shouws the pump itself (the radiator is two halfs so its not getting hot or blocking air flow and is bolted to an aluminum bracket that stradled and clamped around the main back bone of the frame).

The short piece of black hose zip tied around the clear hose, keeps the hose from kinking. The tab I'm pointing at with the screwdriver is what you have to pull back to release both parts from each other. This one didn't break...

As for exactly where to mount both pieces on the FZ, can't say, you'll have to play but it'll give you much more possibilities. Mines mounted under the left fairing, pic's #1, 3 and #4.

Pic's #2 and #5 are are of my old KLR with the horn separated.

Last edited:

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
:D An air horn ...i like it ... i barley used to use horn ... it was more embarrassing than putting a kiddies bell on the bike :shakehead:

No idea where to put one ... just had to say i love the idea :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:D An air horn ...i like it ... i barley used to use horn ... it was more embarrassing than putting a kiddies bell on the bike :shakehead:

No idea where to put one ... just had to say i love the idea :thumbup:

The Stebel horn is friggin loud. I put one on every bike I've ever owned.

When it goes off, it doesn't sound like the stock, wimpy, WTF was that, horn..

On my old KLR, it'd dim the lights when activated thru the relay... (very small battery as it was a kick start).

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
The Stebel horn is friggin loud. I put one on every bike I've ever owned.

When it goes off, it doesn't sound like the stock, wimpy, WTF was that, horn..

On my old KLR, it'd dim the lights when activated thru the relay... (very small battery as it was a kick start).

Do you know if the silver discs on the horn portion are actually functional, or if they are just for show? When I'm looking at how my horn is hitting, I think it's just barely touching on that round silver disc part, and the jimmy rigger in me is thinking about removing it.

However I don't know much about these horns, and while I initially thought the beep was just made pushing air thru the channels in the horn section, I'm second guessing myself. I don't want to break/remove and essential piece of the horn and have it be worthless.

I'm going to try to set up a camera so I can get a better idea of how it's hitting, along with how much the suspension travels before contact.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you know if the silver discs on the horn portion are actually functional, or if they are just for show? When I'm looking at how my horn is hitting, I think it's just barely touching on that round silver disc part, and the jimmy rigger in me is thinking about removing it.

However I don't know much about these horns, and while I initially thought the beep was just made pushing air thru the channels in the horn section, I'm second guessing myself. I don't want to break/remove and essential piece of the horn and have it be worthless.

I'm going to try to set up a camera so I can get a better idea of how it's hitting, along with how much the suspension travels before contact.

What silver disc, on the Stebel? Are you refering to the round part in this below picture where it says "Stebel"? That plastic part is part of the horn, if you have a chrome cover or something over it, it can likely be removed. Can you post a picture?

If your gentle with that plastic retainer I have pointed out, the Stebel will come apart. You can always plug it back together. There is a small o-ring it between the two..

Last edited:

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
I just used my gopro and a light to try to get a good video of it hitting for myself, but I have someone going on in a minute here so I'll have to look later. I tried to take some pictures to show you what I'm talking about, but it's hard to get a pic in the tight place and with **** lighting. I made a little video instead that I think shows what I'm talking about.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saStXMeCcAY]Video from My Phone - YouTube[/ame]

At first glace to me it seems like some show parts just stuck to the outside, but I don't know anything about airflow and so I'm sure they're probably essential. As you could hear when I tapped them, they slide around on that black mount piece and can vibrate...I thought maybe that was where part of the horn noise came from.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just used my gopro and a light to try to get a good video of it hitting for myself, but I have someone going on in a minute here so I'll have to look later. I tried to take some pictures to show you what I'm talking about, but it's hard to get a pic in the tight place and with **** lighting. I made a little video instead that I think shows what I'm talking about.

Video from My Phone - YouTube

At first glace to me it seems like some show parts just stuck to the outside, but I don't know anything about airflow and so I'm sure they're probably essential. As you could hear when I tapped them, they slide around on that black mount piece and can vibrate...I thought maybe that was where part of the horn noise came from.

From what I can see, their just for show.

I would really like that horn off the bike with some good pictures before I suggest you force them off. If you look at my horn, it has no chrome. Where it says Stebel, that is part of the horn, it won't rattle or flop around..

A short video if possible, with the horn off and you tapping those covers would be a big help. Again, I'm 99% sure they can go...