Anyone mount mirrors to bars on Faired version?

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
I've had the Fizzer for about a week now and I'm preparing a short-list of mods I'd like to get done this summer.

I'm really not a fan of the stock mirrors at all and have not had any luck finding good looking mirrors that mount to the fairing. There are, however, a multitude of sexy mirrors that mount to handlebars. I don't think I've ever seen a standard FZ6 (Fazer) with bar-mounted mirrors. My old V-Strom had a half-fairing very similar to the FZ and bar-mounted mirrors, I really liked the functionality, visibility, and just the look as well.

Anyone done this to their bike? And also, I don't like bar-end mirrors, think they only look good on super naked bikes.

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
I'm guessing that's a no... :Flip:

Think I might go ahead and pull the trigger on some R6 OEM mirrors, at least get them lower profile.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the for sale section. I remember somebody posting a blacked out FZ6 recently with a lot of mods... one was bar-end mirrors.

Personally, I don't see the point. Mirrors on the fairings should not only be closer to your field of vision when riding, but should also have reduced vibration and provide a better field of view behind you. I don't care for the look of bar-end mirrors on a faired bike anyway. They're great on a naked, but not with a fairing.

Why aren't you a fan of the stock mirrors? Is it the function, or form?

Here... I found the thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/sell...one-interested-fs-2009-fz6-raven-edition.html

Last edited:

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of the R6 mirrors. I can't recall if they're oem or aftermarket. I mounted them and found them only marginally better than stock. Also, the rubber boots don't fit well over the fairing mounts.

You can have them cheap, if you want to try them. Cosmetically, they're fine.

Joe

Mugwump

Uncle at large
Reaction score
Visit site
I kept the stock ones and just added bar ends. Really did not care how it looked, I just wanted to have functional mirrors. Now I can see what's behind me and still admire my shoulders with the stock mirrors:thumbup:

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Why aren't you a fan of the stock mirrors? Is it the function, or form?

It's a little bit of both. Winds can be a bit high in OK, especially during the spring and summer months, and anytime I've had the bike in a headwind the vibrations have been beyond ridiculous. I know the motor-buzz is part of it, but I don't ever recall the stalk-mirrors on my V-Strom going blurry beyond vision in the headwinds.

Part of it is the look, too. I really like the look of naked-style mirrors on semi-faired bikes, you just don't see many of them anymore.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the Fizzer for about a week now and I'm preparing a short-list of mods I'd like to get done this summer.

I'm really not a fan of the stock mirrors at all and have not had any luck finding good looking mirrors that mount to the fairing. There are, however, a multitude of sexy mirrors that mount to handlebars. I don't think I've ever seen a standard FZ6 (Fazer) with bar-mounted mirrors. My old V-Strom had a half-fairing very similar to the FZ and bar-mounted mirrors, I really liked the functionality, visibility, and just the look as well.

Anyone done this to their bike? And also, I don't like bar-end mirrors, think they only look good on super naked bikes.

I know this is a bit old but did you ever find bar mounted mirrors? Im in the same boat as you, I want different mirrors but I dont want bar end mirrors. I pulled the aftermarket fairing mounted mirrors off my other bike and put them on my FZ, but they didnt look that great. I almost bought a BMW R1100S that had the fairing mirrors replaced with mar mounted ones and carbon fiber mirror block offs on the fairing.

Heres a picture from the dealers site-this is actually the owner of the dealerships bike:
http://dewittpowersports.com/UserFiles/Image/Dirt Bikes/DeWittP 018.jpg

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Aftermarket mirrors for fairings suck. Period. You'd be hard pushed to get any mirrors that are as vibration resistant as the stock ones. R6 are lower and bit wider. Diversion ones are higher. I want to get some diversion ones when the silvering on mine peels off completely! :)

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had a good experience with aftermarket mirrors on the FZ6. I've found if you aim the mirrors so that your shoulder is barely visible from a riding position, then you have full coverage. The stock mirrors are a bit convex, so you can see behind you. Set up right, I can see my tail bag in my mirrors.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I may do this for my winter project. I want to run bar mounted mirrors with the goal of making my bike look a little more like the new Aprilia Tuono. I am running without my windshield so the faring already has a cut down look, but the stock mirrors look out of place. I like these mirrors.

Here is a photo of the Tuono:
07_Aprilia_Tuono1000R_04.jpg

Now my bike, I know a stretch but imagine I blurred the stock mirrors:
1D38033-X2-1.jpg

Last edited:

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
you can get generic mirror mounts for your bars like these links, or you could get new lever perchs with mirror mounts (this would be cleaner looking) i know my yzf600r had those type of perchs. as for fairing mounted what about some gsxr mirrors with turn signals included?

Universal Aluminum Mirror Mounts Yamaha Right | eBay
Univ Chrome Alum Mirror Mounts Bracket 7/8" Handlebars | eBay

personal opinion for the aprilia guy:
but what would you do with your old mirror mounting spots? they would look dumb without mirrors and then you had mirrors on the bars

and its going to take a whole lot more to make your bike an aprilia, and starting with the mirrors is freaking pointless :D

Last edited:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I may do this for my winter project. I want to run bar mounted mirrors with the goal of making my bike look a little more like the new Aprilia Tuono. I am running without my windshield so the faring already has a cut down look, but the stock mirrors look out of place. I like these mirrors.

Here is a photo of the Tuono:
07_Aprilia_Tuono1000R_04.jpg

Now my bike, I know a stretch but imagine I blurred the stock mirrors:
1D38033-X2-1.jpg

This is what I want to do, but with the full front fairing. I want a little smaller mirrors than that though. I think it would look pretty good!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Before you go ahead with this, check the clearance of the bars and the fairing. They may hit it when turning the bars. You may find the mirrors don't actually fit or that you don't have as much adjustment as you need.

Also, those mirrors look nice, but they will be very susceptible to vibration as they have all those pivot points. I bought some aluminium ones that looked very like them - but for fairing bikes (here) and the pivot points were junk and I had to send them back.

Mirrors like this would be a better buy as they won't fall apart under vibration or constantly loosen themselves.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will keep you posted as I do this during the winter. An just to be clear I am not trying to make my bike into a Tuono, just want to clean the front end a bit. There will be holes where the stock mirrors go, but I may make some black covers that will bolt into the stock mirror mounts.

D

Dave.TX

Those Eye-talians make some sexy bikes. The Japanese make some functional, reliable (and sometimes bulletproof) bikes.

I'm 6'4" and apparently have wide shoulders, wider than someone 5'7" I s'pose. I have to angle mine out that they look outward to the blind spots, not rearward. Otherwise all I see are my arms. There are extenders for the stock mirrors or I'll just get some bar mounted mirrors (not bar end mirrors). The stock mirrors move on me when it's windy and the road is somewhat bumpy. Maybe they need to be tightened but I haven't figured out how to do that.

I'll be searching for more options... :iconbeer:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC the right side brake lever mount has a boss for a mirror if you wanted to remove it, drill, and tap it with threads. At least my 08 does.