Anyone Have/Had A Scooter? Just Wondering...

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
When I was younger a lot of guys had scooters. I learned to ride on scooters and mopeds. While I've owned seven bikes now and ridden many, many more, (all the way up through the Ninjas and a 'Busa), I still have a place in my heart for the little machines.
While there is nothing like being able to twist your wrist, grab a handfull, and hit triple numbers quicker than you can count - it was always fun to ride with the throttle twisted wide-open, in a "race" everywhere we used to go! If you could lay down or be the first to a big downhill you were usually the winner, (maybe even exceeding the mph on your speedometer)!
Scooters seem to have really made a comeback in recent years and there are all different types, sizes, colors, and brands ranging from cheap to ridiculous. (Most seem to use basically the same clutch/tranny setup with a belt drive and variable diameter pulley/clutch system)
Some of my buddies own a bike and a scooter. I was just wondering if any of my friends here own/have owned a scooter as well as their Fazers?

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone gave my friend an '86 Honda Elite. I had so much fun riding it that he gave it to me! I had it for 3 weeks, and another buddy offered me $500.00 for it. I sold it, but kinda miss it sometimes...
In 3 weeks I added 150 miles to it's odometer! And never went anywhere!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Keeway F-act racing, which is one of the nicer chinese scooters, it is a blast to ride and i have tons of fun on it. I can't belive that i am excited about some simple mods that will bring it to about 7 horse power and about 55-60 MPH. right now it is restricted at 2 hp and i have gotten it to 45 on flat, but it dies to 30 on any hills, so i am itching for the added power. I might even take it for a commute if it can hold its speed.

key1_1.jpg

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I understand. I was talking to a local Yammer dealer and it was amazing at the speed options for the smaller 50cc but not for the 125 scooter.
It's like speed is relative to the machine you are on or something. I know on a jet ski 60 mph feels like a 100 or more! Same for the size of bikes. If you've ridden the smaller machines you can understand. I think that two wheels are fun - no matter what size they come in! Nice bike. (Both of them)

ZaGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
I started on an 80cc Honda 2 stroke scoot, still have it (needs a bit of work before being sold) & the wife has an Elite 150, I take it out for a run once in a while... they are too much fun....

As i read on another forum somewhere, " if you can ride a scooter and not smile , you have no soul" :)

N

Naykid

I have 3 Yamaha Zumas. One is a neighborhood bike...48 mph on the GPS. One is a rally bike {we race scooters here in Ga.} it does 68 on the GPS....and the last is Frankenzuma. Don't ask....you don't really want to know.:D

And before somebody says it...IN THE UNITED STATES ....a scooter is a scooter.....not a moped. A moped has pedals.

jeffanitam

Reaction score
Visit site
Going way back, a Cushman Eagle w/ about 5 hp, no speed O or tack, rear brake only. Spray painted it a different color every week, had so much paint on it there was no chance of it ever rust. Also no kick stand, just carried a brick in the floor board. Not joking.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
In the very distance past I had a Vespa and a Lambretta, used to take the wife and one of the kids to the mall on the Vespa(before we were to worried about what if), could pull a wheelie with the Vespa if you helped it a bit:D Wish I still had them as they were a blast to ride:thumbup:

Jerry

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was younger a lot of guys had scooters. I learned to ride on scooters and mopeds. While I've owned seven bikes now and ridden many, many more, (all the way up through the Ninjas and a 'Busa), I still have a place in my heart for the little machines.
While there is nothing like being able to twist your wrist, grab a handfull, and hit triple numbers quicker than you can count - it was always fun to ride with the throttle twisted wide-open, in a "race" everywhere we used to go! If you could lay down or be the first to a big downhill you were usually the winner, (maybe even exceeding the mph on your speedometer)!
Scooters seem to have really made a comeback in recent years and there are all different types, sizes, colors, and brands ranging from cheap to ridiculous. (Most seem to use basically the same clutch/tranny setup with a belt drive and variable diameter pulley/clutch system)
Some of my buddies own a bike and a scooter. I was just wondering if any of my friends here own/have owned a scooter as well as their Fazers?

My first road bike was a 70cc Step Through...Suzuki FR70!!! And as you, i flogged it everywhere i went!

Best thing i ever did....cause even when i was flogging it, it really didnt go very fast... and was quite hard to get into trouble so to speak....

They are HUUUUUUUGE fun....have been thinking of getting another one just for fun, and quick city copmmutes to work, etc...

:thumbup:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 08 SYM HD200...
168cc
Ive topped out in the top 60s
So friggin comfy its like riding a recliner... Doesn't flinch riding 2 up... Ive wanted to sell it but I need to fix the horn and people get nervous that its not a Yam, Honda, or Vespa

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
As a kid I had one of these, it was red and didn't go over 25 mph unless it was a really steep hill. I enjoyed riding it around but didn't like being passed by everything around me, but it was faster than a bike and less work too.
:BLAA:

I've thought about getting a moped for the cheep transport and just cuz.

WereGrouch

Mrs. Skrapiron
Reaction score
Visit site
I started on a Yamaha Vino 50, then was upgraded by Skrapiron over the next few years to a Yamaha Vino 125, a Piaggio Fly 150, and a Piaggio X9 500. I traded the x9 for the FZ6 I ride now, and I really don't miss the scooters except in stop-n-go Pittsburgh traffic. I like being able to use engine braking on the downhill twisties around here.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't scooters those things Wal-Mart sells? :D

Seriously though, I started out on an E-Ton Beamer 50 cc then moved up to a Piaggio X9 Evo, which was an amazing machine. I sold it off to buy the FZ6, no regrets. Scoots can be cool but some people treat them like toys.

Skrapiron

Mr. Know-It-All
Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't scooters those things Wal-Mart sells? :D

Seriously though, I started out on an E-Ton Beamer 50 cc then moved up to a Piaggio X9 Evo, which was an amazing machine. I sold it off to buy the FZ6, no regrets. Scoots can be cool but some people treat them like toys.

Not me..... Scooters are fun to ride.... Even on the track!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 3 Yamaha Zumas. One is a neighborhood bike...48 mph on the GPS. One is a rally bike {we race scooters here in Ga.} it does 68 on the GPS....and the last is Frankenzuma. Don't ask....you don't really want to know.:D

And before somebody says it...IN THE UNITED STATES ....a scooter is a scooter.....not a moped. A moped has pedals.

SPOT-ON with your definitions! Total agreement! ("Frankenzuma"? LOL
I won't ask!)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Going way back, a Cushman Eagle w/ about 5 hp, no speed O or tack, rear brake only. Spray painted it a different color every week, had so much paint on it there was no chance of it ever rust. Also no kick stand, just carried a brick in the floor board. Not joking.

Yep, my neighbor had a couple of those! A brick in the floorboard? I love it! (My son's in K'town tonight. Leave the light on for him please?)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
My first road bike was a 70cc Step Through...Suzuki FR70!!! And as you, i flogged it everywhere i went!

Best thing i ever did....cause even when i was flogging it, it really didnt go very fast... and was quite hard to get into trouble so to speak....

They are HUUUUUUUGE fun....have been thinking of getting another one just for fun, and quick city copmmutes to work, etc...

:thumbup:

Me too my friend. I'm REALLY fighting the urge to get another one, (for exactly the same reasons). Thanks.