Any clues?

Set Fazer's to Suicide

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Bought a 2004, FZ6 last month, (after passing my test in March) so don't know alot about bike repair...yet.

Anyway all has been well and recently past its MOT with only a couple of advisories, and on Monday it got me to and from work without problem then Tuesday switched the ignition on, hit START and it almost fired up then died, when the display reset instead of counting up to 299 it went straight to a backward 6 with 88.

I tried bump starting but nothings happening, a workmate said it sounds like the battery so gave me a battery charger and a bit of advice (said I should've bought a Honda, smarta***!!).

I charged the battery, which has a tester on it saying the battery is fine, but it's still doing the same thing.

Any help much appreciated.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I can't offer any mechanical advice....but I can :welcome: you to to the forum. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you....stay tuned.

And OMG WTF is right, YOU have the best user name!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
What's "MOT"?

- so even with the charger still connected to the BAT it won't crank?
- did you check all your fuses?
- what exactly happens when you turn the ignition on?
- do you have fuell in the tank? :D

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
could be a bad battery cable connection, even though the battery itself is
at full charge, check the ends at the battery as well as where they terminate
on the other end for loose/broken terminals or corrosion

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing MOT is something like "Ministry Of Transportation" inspections??:tard:

Anyway. As said, check the electrical, battery etc. The counting backwards thing is a little puzzling, If it has cranking and spark, next guess is fuel delivery??? Good luck.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:Set Fazer's to Suicide! Haha! :rockon:

As mentioned previously could be a loose connection at the battery. Check for clean tight connection first.

Also the battery can show good, voltage wise, but be bad as far as 'depth of charge' and you will need a load tester to test the battery.

Again, Welcome to the forum! :D

Edit: If you do have a Tri-Corder you might check to see if there is a rift in the Space Time Continuum!

Last edited:

Set Fazer's to Suicide

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for the welcome and the help, My mate is dropping a battery for a bandit off for me, it's a different size but it means I can eliminate any other electrical issues.

I enquired about a new battery in my local dealership and they said it's a special order cause its a specific shape battery.

Oh yeah, and MOT is a Vehicle & Operator Services Agency certificate of road worth, effectively a visual inspection (and some physical inspection) of a vehicle to ensure all is in working order.

Again thanks,

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
You could save you the trouble of using another battery by using a jump cable from a car battery for example...

Set Fazer's to Suicide

Reaction score
Visit site
You could save you the trouble of using another battery by using a jump cable from a car battery for example...

Thanks, I tried that, and after taking the fairings and lifting the tank, to find two of the smallest screws on the bike being the battery contacts!! I wasn't too optimistic standing there with two HUGE car jump leads... but I did try using two screwdrivers stuck into the terminals to give the jump leads some decent contact but to no avail!!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! That's an awsome username, by the way:thumbup:

I might be able to help you, as I have the Haynes owners manual. All I need is the fault codes that are displayed.

What you have to do is as follows:

1. Press down the "select" and "reset" buttons simultanously with the ignition OFF
2. While holding down the two buttons, turn the igniotion ON. Keep pressing the two buttons for at least 8 seconds after the ignition is on.
3. When the instrument cluster only shows the tripmeter and the clock, select diagnostics mode by pressing the "select" button until you see DIAG appear on the screen. Confirm the DIAG mode by pressing the "select" and "reset" button simultanously for 2 seconds.
4. You should now see all codes that are there. Post the codes you see, and I'll try to help you the best I can:thumbup:

Set Fazer's to Suicide

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! That's an awsome username, by the way:thumbup:

I might be able to help you, as I have the Haynes owners manual. All I need is the fault codes that are displayed.

What you have to do is as follows:

1. Press down the "select" and "reset" buttons simultanously with the ignition OFF
2. While holding down the two buttons, turn the igniotion ON. Keep pressing the two buttons for at least 8 seconds after the ignition is on.
3. When the instrument cluster only shows the tripmeter and the clock, select diagnostics mode by pressing the "select" button until you see DIAG appear on the screen. Confirm the DIAG mode by pressing the "select" and "reset" button simultanously for 2 seconds.
4. You should now see all codes that are there. Post the codes you see, and I'll try to help you the best I can:thumbup:

Cheers I'll give that a bash tomorrow, it's a little too dark to put the battery back in now!

I have a PDF of the Haynes manual but couldn't find the fault codes.

Set Fazer's to Suicide

Reaction score
Visit site
Well looks like it was the battery, I got a new Gel pack Battery and it started 1st time. (thank f**k for that!)

The battery obviously wasn't right from when I got the bike, cause everytime I hit the START button it would turn over 2-3 times before it would fire up, I put this down to being six years old and maybe needing a service (which i'm planning with this month wages).

But when I put the new battery in the bike fired up first time and sounded very aggressive too! (is there steroids in these gel packs??). It blew two of my indicator bulbs and my tail/reg plate light!!

Though ironically when I called a couple of the local Yamaha dealers, they didn't have any of the B-4 batteries in stock, so out of desparation I called a nearby Honda dealer (which does happen to have one of the biggest sales departments of all the bike dealers in Dunfermline/Edinburgh) and they did have the battery in stock, when I told the guy that I'd tried a few places first, he said "yeah it's not really a common battery size, only a couple of Yamaha models use this battery"

So why did none of the bloody Yamaha dealers have this battery in stock??:don'tknow:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
same here, Yamaha dealer is operated by a guy 20 miles outa town out
of building not much better than a barn, right next to his house, can't even
get him to answer the phone...I use the local Suzuki dealer, excellent service,
glad to hear you got it going :thumbup: