Another Triumph demo - ST3

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to Triumph Come Home in PA this morning to test ride a Street Triple R and, hopefully, a few others. Well, they were moaning that they did not have enough sign-up sheets and may only run one demo. The good news was that I got there early and snagged the ST3R. It was a group ride but there were only about 6 riders and we really flew along the back country roads. They did not have a Tiger to ride and the Daytona 675 hurt just sitting on it standing still, pretty though.

Here are my findings from a brief 20 min. ride.

The good:
Feels very light and nimble. Really feel on top of the front wheel
Nice amount of torque right away and really growls when you twist the throttle.
Much nicer exhaust sound than the FZ6.
Naked, so there is none of the noisy turbulence of the Fazer.
The bars felt really good, may have to put FZ1 bars on mine to duplicate the feel.. On the FZ6 my right thumb starts to ache and feels pushed into the glove. I did not feel that on the Triumph.

Not so good:
Mirrors suck, narrow field of view and seem like poor quality glass.
Throttle feels too snatchy. If I was not super smooth letting off the gas it would lurch at bit. Not terrible but it should be smoother.
Instrument cluster is a bit out of your field of view and not as easy to read as ours.

Not so sure:
The looks. Can't really warm up to the bug eye headlamps. The engine bay does not seem as tidy as the Yamaha's. Hoses and wires seem better dressed on the FZ6.

Overall, I really liked it but am not ready to pop for one. Not in this market anyway. Triumph dealers still think they deserve list on the Street Triple as they are a big seller. And selling an FZ6 could be a bit tough. All in all, a fun ride. The rest of the Triumph day was a waste. Lots of rusty parts for sale and a few pre-Hinkley bikes to be seen. Way too hot\humid to wander around.

Tim

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mirrors suck, narrow field of view and seem like poor quality glass.

I didn't mention this in my write-up, but I fully agree with you.

What I really took away from riding Speed Triple is that I'd love a naked bike, but not a Triumph.

I need to ride one of these:

P1050966.jpg

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
mcteague I do not like your odds of getting a CB1000, maybe they will bring them into the states but they got discontinued over here :( Expensive bike as well they were about $4k more than a FZ1. Fuel economy was also (What I heard/read) was really bad too.

However I did love that bike looks so nice, but go with the Z1000 ;P (If not going with the FZ1 of course)

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
mcteague I do not like your odds of getting a CB1000, maybe they will bring them into the states but they got discontinued over here :( Expensive bike as well they were about $4k more than a FZ1. Fuel economy was also (What I heard/read) was really bad too.

However I did love that bike looks so nice, but go with the Z1000 ;P (If not going with the FZ1 of course)

I'm not holding my breath. Actually, I really don't want a liter bike anyway. If I had to buy a bike today the Street Triple R would be at the top of the list. But, I plan to keep the FZ6 and maybe do the FZ1 bar mod and will check out the upcoming Triumph Tiger cub, or whatever they call end up calling it, next year.

Tim

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't mention this in my write-up, but I fully agree with you.

What I really took away from riding Speed Triple is that I'd love a naked bike, but not a Triumph.

I need to ride one of these:

I really like the Z1000's looks. I wish I could demo one!