Another 17T sprocket convert

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been thinking about switching from the stock 16T front sprocket to a 17T for a while now. After reading all of the post I could find on the forum, I pulled the trigger last week and ordered a JT sprocket. Installation was pretty easy once I got a 30mm socket.
Today was the first time I had the chance to take it out for a comparison spin which included freeway, mountain, and twisty road time.
Here's what I found..
When taking off from a dead stop in first gear it takes just a little more mental effort when letting out the clutch. Now I have Pazzo's and since I've already adjusted the distance between the lever and the grip already it really is a non issue about the little extra off the line lugging with the 17T.
I've read about the increased chain/sprocket noise and vibration associated with aftermarket sprockets and while it's definitely noisier than the stock one it's not something that I can't get used to especially when I wear my ear plugs which I didn't do today.
I didn't notice any less pep when running through the gears although it seems as though you have to stay in the "sweet spot" rpm wise to avoid low rpm sluggishness.
The biggest improvement I did see, which is the main reason for my changing to a 17T, was the smoothing out of the throttle response both coming on and off the gas. I'd already adjusted the throttle play which helped immensely but the extra tooth really seemed to take almost all of the remaining twitchiness out of the equation, especially in corners. :thumbup:
And having the speedo be just about dead on didn't hurt either although I felt like I was going slower than I was used to everytime I would look at my speed.
Hopefully this will help any of you contemplating a switch up to a 17T sprocket.
And of course YMMV and this is IMO and not backed up by any scientific data...:D

Reaction score
Visit site
Some good info there Lefty! Do you have the Killernoodle slave lever mod also?
My 17t has been sitting in a drawer for a couple weeks, so maybe tomorrow i'll
get "unlazy" enough to install it :thumbup:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, I don't have the slave lever mod but the difference in the dead stop take off is insignificant. I had the same problem as you, I thought about the mod for months but was too lazy to pull the tigger.. until now. :spank::D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Would be interesting to sample a 15 back to back with a 17. Interesting about the on/off throttle response observation. Different situation, but when I lowered the gearing quite a bit on my 640 I definitely noticed the power pulses at low RPM quite a bit more.

I'll stick with my 15T :D

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I am running a 15T now but am looking at switching to a 16T or 17t. If I ever get unlazy (I am saying this after going on a short 50 mile ride, making a custom bracket for a 12volt socket, running wires for socket, bending a copper pipe to make a bar that i could mount my phone/gps to and installing new SS brake lines) I will get around to changing to the 16 or 17t sprocket. My goal is to do it before July 9 which is my first trip on the moto for the summer. Keep us posted on what you think of the sprocket, also did you notice a change in your mpg? I assume it went up.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am running a 15T now but am looking at switching to a 16T or 17t. If I ever get unlazy (I am saying this after going on a short 50 mile ride, making a custom bracket for a 12volt socket, running wires for socket, bending a copper pipe to make a bar that i could mount my phone/gps to and installing new SS brake lines) I will get around to changing to the 16 or 17t sprocket. My goal is to do it before July 9 which is my first trip on the moto for the summer. Keep us posted on what you think of the sprocket, also did you notice a change in your mpg? I assume it went up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it went up a little. Short price to pay, IMO :rockon:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am running a 15T now but am looking at switching to a 16T or 17t. If I ever get unlazy (I am saying this after going on a short 50 mile ride, making a custom bracket for a 12volt socket, running wires for socket, bending a copper pipe to make a bar that i could mount my phone/gps to and installing new SS brake lines) I will get around to changing to the 16 or 17t sprocket. My goal is to do it before July 9 which is my first trip on the moto for the summer. Keep us posted on what you think of the sprocket, also did you notice a change in your mpg? I assume it went up.

I'll give an update on the mod after I get back from the NorCal/SolCal ride in a few weeks. It should be around 1200 total miles so I should have a better ideal on the mpg and overall feeling of the gearing change. :thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be riding the exact same route as Lefty next month, almost down to the mile, and I have a 15T sprocket, so it will be cool to see any differences in mpg.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This will be a good way to test if riding style comes into play, since Lefty has the theoretically more efficient bike, but can't help himself when it comes to the throttle :spank:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This will be a good way to test if riding style comes into play, since Lefty has the theoretically more efficient bike, but can't help himself when it comes to the throttle :spank:

Thanks for calling me out Travis...:BLAA: :spank:
I"m trying really hard to convert to the Cali rider school of throttle contol. :D

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
I switched mine over to the 17 tooth and really love it. It smoothed things out considerably. I really didn't notice any issues of the line. I have only had the bike about 3 weeks. Do not really like close ratioo transmissions!

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be riding the exact same route as Lefty next month, almost down to the mile, and I have a 15T sprocket, so it will be cool to see any differences in mpg.

I'm going to guess you will notice very little difference. Going from my 16T to 15T it was almost no difference, maybe 1 or 2 MPG. Even at that some of the blame may be that after the change I began to ride the thing a little harder than before. :spank: