Another 15T question

whyjay

Road Rash
Reaction score
Visit site
Did a search on this but not a lot of specifics......I see a lot of you guys are running a -1 front sprocket...but what brand are you guys running? Can only find a few and I am unfamiliar with their brand names. Don't wanna buy junk that's gonna fall apart. I've got a 2007.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Vortex FTW!!! :thumbup: Wouldn't go back to stock for money... still need a speedo-healer though anyone want to donate one to my cause.:D

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a renthal steel front and supersprox steel/aluminum rear. Great combo.
Bought both and the chain from solomotoparts.com

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do beleive the 15 tooth sprocket will be my first mod of next season and I like the look of Stryken's Vortex. I have always used Renthal for my dirt bike sprockets all my life though.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
When using a -1 in the front it would obviously give you more pick up.

Two questions:

1. What is your RPM at say 60mph in 6th?

2. Can you do small wheelies with just power and no clutch play with that set up???

Last edited:

markg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys - About to order a Vortex 15t front sprocket for my 2009 from Kneedraggers. Two questions - There is a "520 conversion" and a "530" - which to get? Also, will a "2004 - 2007" fit a 2009? On kneedraggers they only have them listed for 2004 - 2007...

Thanks for any help.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the 15 tooth sprocket using I believe an 07 R6 stock one. Can't remember the part number. I did the Speedohealer at the same time. This has to be the cheapest and best mod you can do on this bike. I thought of going up +1 or 2 on the rear, but can't really see the reason why. The bike has way more usable torque.

My speedo was off 5.2% stock and went to 11.1% after the sprocket was installed. So your speedo error will be significantly affected. Speedohealer took care of all that.

Also the 15t sprocket came with two washers that I had to put on each side to make up the thickness of the stock. I miked it out just to be sure. If the washers were not installed there would be uneven wear on the sides of the chain and sprocket. Something to think about.

Last edited:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a renthal steel front and supersprox steel/aluminum rear. Great combo.
Bought both and the chain from solomotoparts.com

I went to solomotoparts.com and there is no Renthal steel front 15T 530 sprocket for FZ6; there is only 16T and 17T. Where did you get yours?

I bloody ordered mistakenly :eek: the Renthal Steel 530 Sprocket 15T.

I hate mail order -- it's too slow (although I got it in 3 days which is pretty fast).

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out SunStar sprockets, you can get them from any retailer who buys from Parts Unlimited:
SunStar - Search Results

That one is:

51915 Powerdrive Countershaft Sprocket - 530 15 530-118 $27.22

Shipping is $12 for total =~$40

What's all this talk about "best $25 mod I ever did?" that I read elsewhere?
maybe in-store pickup?

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I Like Vortex....been useing them for years , excellent wear and cut...You can checkout..( KneeDraggers.com ) ..these guys are super...Daryl

I ordered something else from KneeDraggers.com and they ship fast -- I would love to order from them again.

So Vortex sounds popular but I read that I want steel because I want long life on that front sprocket. Does Vortex make steel or just aluminium?

This looks like steel:

Vortex Racing Front Sprocket - 530 - Yamaha FZ6 - Fits 2004 to 2007 Models - KneeDraggers.com

Is this a good choice? I'm not sure I need a "racing" sprocket -- will it last as long as a non-racing?

Thanks,

Dennis

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When using a -1 in the front it would obviously give you more pick up.

Two questions:

1. What is your RPM at say 60mph in 6th?

2. Can you do small wheelies with just power and no clutch play with that set up???

i cant remember the speed per RPM but you dont loose too much accuracy at legal speeds

but if you nail the throttle in first wheelies will happen involuntary when the powerband kicks in

second just needs a bit of off throttle-on throttle at thr right rpm to get you up