Android Dashboard/Console

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
See Torque at : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

It has all possible gadgets(digital) that you could possible think of(and available on) for cars. Comes as a free/limited version too : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree

It works with most obd tools, including the cheap eBay ones too. What makes it awesome(to me):
- Bluetooth interface to OBD scanners
- Lot of gauges/graphs
- Lots of logging options - speed/rpm/acceleration etc
- Display of Android sensors along with vehicle sensors - compass/gps/accelerometer/gyroscope
- Overlay of Maps/GPS data
And the most awesome feature/plugin of all - the ability to overlay all the meters/gauges on the video from the Android device's camera and record it too :). This is just like the onboard footage from Motogp, although this is only on the pro version. But I feel it is totally worth it.

Could find only this video from youtube for a sample : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWIP9YlwI6g]Track recorder - Torque for Android plugin - YouTube[/ame]

Too bad our motorcycles dont have OBD connections like cars. Even without any connection to the motorcycle - the app is still useful for motorcycles since the following data needs no direct connection with a motorcycle:
- Speed - will be sensed using the GPS
- Acceleration/deceleration - using onboard accelerometer
- Pitch/Roll/lean - onboard gyroscope

The only thing missing is RPM - the interface for which I am working on and have got the prototype working with simulated data. It is a matter of together of the RPM counter and the Arduino board I have(soon :) ).

In any case, I feel this is the most un-intrusive consoles you can install - without any effort and gain lot of info of riding. Even more so during track days. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Torque app just for reading codes on my car. All the other stuff is icing on the cake! :)

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Any fuel injected vehicle that shuts off the injectors when the throttle is closed and in gear (most cars) will have infinite mpg. You could do the same in a large truck. :)

I like Torque for checking codes via OBD2, but Harry's Laptimer for iOS or Trackmaster for Android are much better applications for track information, IMO.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pulsar, do you have the OBDII bus protocol?

I have some PDF stuff and or could turn up links if need be.

PS - I run that app on Razr HD. The paid for one has allot more option but we need data on the bus to capture...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm.... I'd imagine there's a CAN bus setup somewhere on the bike and if we're vigilant we might find and exploit to get reading. :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm.... I'd imagine there's a CAN bus setup somewhere on the bike and if we're vigilant we might find and exploit to get reading. :)

The Yam'er quads after 2009 have some standardized bus that let you talk to the ECM and flash it so I'm told. Remap of the FI is much easier and cheaper. Perhaps because they don't log as many running hours as street bike? IDK!

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pulsar, do you have the OBDII bus protocol?

I have some PDF stuff and or could turn up links if need be.

PS - I run that app on Razr HD. The paid for one has allot more option but we need data on the bus to capture...

OBDII protocol - not sure if you mean the protocol to connect to the ECU or the protocol to interface with the Bluetooth OBDII adapter.

I could not find any protocol to interface to the ECU of our bikes and I didn't pursue it further as all the data I need can be captured using Arduino - RPM,Speed,Temperature,Battery Voltage.

The Arduino board will also simulate the OBDII bluetooth adapter protocol that the Torque App uses to just display the data.

OBDII Bluetooth adapter uses the ELM327 protocol for the exchange of data. You can find the datasheet at :
http://elmelectronics.com/DSheets/ELM327DS.pdf

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
OBDII protocol - not sure if you mean the protocol to connect to the ECU or the protocol to interface with the Bluetooth OBDII adapter.

I could not find any protocol to interface to the ECU of our bikes and I didn't pursue it further as all the data I need can be captured using Arduino - RPM,Speed,Temperature,Battery Voltage.

The Arduino board will also simulate the OBDII bluetooth adapter protocol that the Torque App uses to just display the data.

OBDII Bluetooth adapter uses the ELM327 protocol for the exchange of data. You can find the datasheet at :
http://elmelectronics.com/DSheets/ELM327DS.pdf

I would be very interested in assisting in this project, if it is still on going.

I have been using the new Nucleo F401RE from STM. It has the exact same headers and functionality of the Arduino boards, however is has an additional 72 I/O pins. It also has 512k of flash memory, with an on board debugger as well as an onboard ST-Link V2 bootloader. The board is only 10$ and has so much more functionality than the Arduino. It also has the EXACT same functionality and header layout to accommodate Arduino sketches.

My FAVORITE part is that it supports mbed, which is an entirely web-based platform to write your code, compile it, and load it right to the board. It saves all of your examples online, which can be accessed from anywhere. It really is a magnificent piece of technology.

I would LOVE to get involved in this project if it is still going. PM me with thoughts? I would definitely suggest taking a look at the nucleo boards as it really expands the I/O ports for so much more functionality.

https://mbed.org/platforms/ST-Nucleo-F401RE/

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if yamaha simply used a I2C or some close relative of it to update the cluster?

Hindsite says I should have taken time to identify the cluster components.
attachment.php

But $10 for the board? How much for all of the interface connectors, hardware and parts to make it usable?

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would be very interested in assisting in this project, if it is still on going.

PM'd.

I wonder if yamaha simply used a I2C or some close relative of it to update the cluster?

Hindsite says I should have taken time to identify the cluster components.

I thought that it was the actual signals from the sensors - speed/rpm - which are being converted at the display cluster. Do you think it is the ECU that provides this decoded data to the display?

Due to work and not being able to ride, this project has taken a back seat for sometime. Hope to get back at it in a months time.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
PM'd.

I thought that it was the actual signals from the sensors - speed/rpm - which are being converted at the display cluster. Do you think it is the ECU that provides this decoded data to the display?

Due to work and not being able to ride, this project has taken a back seat for sometime. Hope to get back at it in a months time.

Positive as its a single lead (conductor) from the ECM which updates the gauge clusters digital data. Although with no feedback that eliminates several standard protocols. Obviously its not allot of inputs until the gauge is in diagnostic mode but you get the idea.
ECM - - -> Gauge, digital over single wire
= TACh
= ODO
= Speed
= Engine temp
= Intake temp
= Diagnostic functions
-----------------
LEDs from the cluster computer
Fuel level warning light
Engine trouble warning light / CEL
Coolant temperature warning light
------------------
External from sensor/switch:
Oil level warning light
Fuel level
Neutral indicator light
------------------
ALL other LEDs on the gauges are direct

FWIW: that was just a glance, it is subject to error.

TAG: JJD952 Cluster, Diagnostic

Last edited: