An 1125R for $2500??? Should I do it???

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No.

It's a paint shaker with skin. Hardly-Ableson.

Don't shoot the messenger...

It sounds as if you've read-up on the bike. But I've read your criticism of our rear suspension being a non-linkage set-up. Granted, the buell's got a showa shock but it's non-linkage, too.

While the front wheel looks pretty trick, I don't know if I'd want to ride that on the roads I have to ride.

Belt drive? Seriously? I'm sure that I'll get some, er, guidance, on this one.

It's got a ram air set-up, that's kinda cool. But the intake ducts look like a$$. IMHO And their own site says ya gotta be going over 80mph to realize any effect. Maybe that's normal for ram air. But for real world riding, what's the point? Ugly ducts...

Serious sportbike ergos, homey. I know you're not a spring chicken. You've got risers on an FZ6! Helloooooo

The front fairing looks like it came off of an AMC Pacer.

But hey, Pete, you've got to do what makes you happy. If you think you'd be happier on that thing, then there it is. Be happy brother.

This is the Rotax motor made in Austria not the Sportster motor, think Duc or Aprilia instead of HD.

As far as Ram Air all RA systems/set ups have to be at 80 to 100 mph to do anything.

The ducts, er...pods...:rolleyes:...each contain a radiator and believe it or not are the world's largest crash bobbins too. They also provide upper leg protection, kind of like a lower fairing.

No risers on my bike, the Converti Bars actually lowered my bar placement about 2 inches and moved it forward 2 inches. But yes I can raise them up to 6 inches from where they are now.

The ergos are sporty, but nothing like the Italian or Japanese sport bikes. It has been called the most ergo friendly large sport bike. Buell also makes an offset, drop foot peg for riders who need more leg room. It is a simple bolt on and places the footpeg one inch lower. I can always install Converti Bars too.

The belt drive, I agree, I'm mixed. The racers are all putting on chain kits for more power, but at 146 I wouldn't need any more power.

For the rear suspension it is supposed to be good, I've not read anything negitive about it on the forums. I agree a modern linkage system does give the best ride.

The fairing I love, that thing is so bad-ass looking in person and the pods look good in person too. I will agree it doesn't photograph well at certain angles.

I crunched the numbers again last night. Just need to make up my mind.

Oh and the thing I dislike, no hate the most, is the muffler.

Thanks for the input, it is always very good to hear the counter view point as one can get caught up in the "hype" far too easily. :thumbup:

Last edited:

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you should go to the Buell bike night at Opal Divines on south congress thursday nights. I still go sometimes its a good group of guys on good nights 20 or more Buells show up. I sold my 2007 Buell XB12X

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you should go to the Buell bike night at Opal Divines on south congress thursday nights. I still go sometimes its a good group of guys on good nights 20 or more Buells show up. I sold my 2007 Buell XB12X

Great idea, thanks. What time do they meet?

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
Great idea, thanks. What time do they meet?

7:30- 10:30 all kinds of bikes show up but its mostly Buell XB's and a few 1125's . Everyone just hangs out and drinks pints and talk about Buell's. You can get some good tips from people who actually ride them not the lies and propaganda from salesmen or Harley website

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That price is highway robbery I pay $250 a year and a zx14 was only $350 a year. I have country companies.

Actually it is a very good price for TX. Our neighbors to the south like to permenently borrow vehicles so our insurance costs tend to be rather high. TX also has one of the highest uninsured motorist rates in the country, about 40%, so uninsured/underinsured is a must.

Who specifically is your company? I'd like to check them out. I'm not to pround so save a dollar. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great question. The lizard will sell me one year for $680 at 100/300/50, $500 deduc, and 50/100 uninsured.

That does seem high. I pay for the FZ, $122 per year for 100/250/50 and 50/100 uninsured. I am not sure if my company is in TX but I use American Family Insurance. I am 30 years old.

I would get the 1125R, too cool of a bike to pass up.:D When I first heard of the Rotax engines in a Buell I said to myself, "Finally a Buell with out a pushrod v-twin, I would buy this".

chickwebb

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode the 1125CR at Infineon in November. Really nice ride. Didn't have a chance to try out the "R" version, but the bikes are very, very similar. Engine is great; torque everywhere, Rotax reliability. Suspension was just fine at spirited track pace. Ergonomics... well, that might be not so good in stop-and-go traffic, but for canyon-carving it'd be fine. You'd probably want to add some risers if you're doing serious miles on it. Somewhere I saw a picture of one w/Givi sidebags, so it's possible to run it as a sport-tourer.

You only live once. Go for it. :Sport:

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
The financial people say Harley is going to have a difficult time pulling out of the flat spin they are in - they financed too many people who really couldn't afford the payments and when the economy went south (sorry to our friends in Oz, its just an unfortunate expression here) the dealers suddenly had a lot of repo- motorcycles and no income. Have you seen their ad for "bring your sportster in and we'll give you what you paid for it in trade."?

Its a buyers market. They are desperate. Have you taken your FL offer to a local dealer (cause you're going to pay TX tax anyway and they would get to keep the shipping costs)?

Good luck, the best time to look for a something new is when you don't really need one. ;)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The financial people say Harley is going to have a difficult time pulling out of the flat spin they are in - they financed too many people who really couldn't afford the payments and when the economy went south (sorry to our friends in Oz, its just an unfortunate expression here) the dealers suddenly had a lot of repo- motorcycles and no income. Have you seen their ad for "bring your sportster in and we'll give you what you paid for it in trade."?

Its a buyers market. They are desperate. Have you taken your FL offer to a local dealer (cause you're going to pay TX tax anyway and they would get to keep the shipping costs)?

Good luck, the best time to look for a something new is when you don't really need one. ;)

Thanks, I've got a meeting for the next few hours and then after than I'm headed to the dealer to see if they want to deal. Maybe I can get a good trade on the Fizzer, sans mods of course. :D

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
This bike is super light!!! Felt easier to throw around than the fz... Didn't get to open it up, but it was a very accessible bike. Ergos didn't seem too back breaking... I love the sound of the rotax even just cruising. I didn't trust myself with it, so flip'd for the fz6...

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you should do it Pete it sounds like its what you really want and you've done all the research and it looks like you're getting a hell of a deal too. Go for it. Post pics when you get'em!

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
once you get the itch ,its gotta be scratched..from experience i know that once i get a plan in my head,i get tunnel vision and have to see it through to the end..we're men..nature of the beast..lol

if the bike feels right and the finances allow.do it!