Aftermarket seats

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was considering getting a corbin seat, but was wondering if there are any other good seats available in the U.S. I liked the corbin seat I used to have on another bike, but did not like the insert at the gas tank end. It looked like a plain piece of steel wrapped in leather which, of course, rusted.:confused:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Same here...after an hour of riding my a** hurts!! I just need something more comfortable without it costing a months rent!!

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about the re-upholstering route, but then I looked under the seat. With all the hundreds of holes in that white plastic from the staples, I wonder how much plastic material will be left to staple to? I saw a corbin seat on ebay, but I fear the biding may get out of range on that as well. The guy was advertising it as fitting 04-06, but I think it will fit 07-08, also. Anyone know for sure?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the seat will fit '04 - '08.

Corbin: One thing to keep in mind with Corbin is this is a firm seat. It's the shape that relieves the pressure points but still a hard sitting and takes about 1K miles to break in to your shape. Also, to install, many have had to shim the latch with a washer or two so keep that in mind.

Yamaha Comfort Seat: Gel seat, slightly slippery and leans toward the tank more. It doubled my comfort and riding time to about 90 minutes before needing a break. Because it is gel, sun makes it HOT and it stays HOT. Cold keeps it VERY cold. It's not a bad upgrade but certainly not the best.

Sargent: 100% custom. Talk to the rep on the phone. They will send you instructions on how to design your seat and what pictures they need. Expensive but you'll get what you want if you listen to their instructions and design recommendations.

Top Saddlery: Like putting the living room couch under your arse. I've yet to hear from someone who has bought the seat that had a complaint about it. A testiment to their work? Never saw a used one for sale! :D I want one but the price is a bit steep for me right now. Maybe next year.

DIY: You have control and can make the seat what ever you want. Time, patience and small adjustments are key. Do all the foam work and test it many times in the process BEFORE you do the final staple job. Make sure the seat is right so you do not have to revisit.

Hope this helps!

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can chime in on the Corbin, I've had one two + years they are very firm indeed, it does beat the stocker, however if you go this route you must be very specific with them, if riding two up ask to have the rear portion raised at least 1" over the standard setting, also the main portion you sit on could use an increase in height (padding) as well! I would more than likely search other options before going with the Corbin, as it will set you back approx $580.00 with backrest.

Just my 2 cents.

Nedlob

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the same boat as the two of you. I hear reapolstering the seat is a good way to go. Anyone know anything about this?

Interesting enough I had a friend of mine who has an upholstery shop, wrap the seats on my Honda ST1300 with Leather from a jaguar Leather that was really cushioned really well. Excellent Job, very satisfying.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The aftermarket Corbin seats for the FZ1 cannot fit the FZ6, is that correct?

No, they can't....Well, I'm sure with some modding, you can make them fit but it would take a lot of design and engineering work to accomplish.

I swear the modded seat on the Yamaha site for the FZ1 has GOT to be a Corbin. Looks far to much like one to not be.

RICK-WPB

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006 FZ6 and installed a Corbin seat and oval seat back. Cost a fortune but worth it. Overall quality, fit and finish is superb. The oval seat back is removable. Best aftermarket seat available as far as I am concerned. Huge selection of material. I went with the carbon fiber look. 10x better than orignal OEM seat. Lead time from order placement to front door was 4 weeks.

Fizz-six

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006 FZ6 and installed a Corbin seat and oval seat back. Cost a fortune but worth it. Overall quality, fit and finish is superb. The oval seat back is removable. Best aftermarket seat available as far as I am concerned. Huge selection of material. I went with the carbon fiber look. 10x better than orignal OEM seat. Lead time from order placement to front door was 4 weeks.

Got a picture? How much did you spend?