Aftermarket Exhaust = hot seat?

jefjacks

Reaction score
Visit site
So I am looking to get new exhaust for my ride. I have been asking around and (dealers/bike shops, etc.) and a few have told me that if I decide to put new exhaust on my FZ6 the seat will heat up. They comment on the fact that the stock exhaust is heat shielded but aftermarket is not.

Is this true? and if it is what are some of the way others have handled it? Is there aftermarket exhaust that is heat shielded that does not have this problem.

I really don't care too much of the seat does get hot (gives me a reason to get to where I am going faster :) ), I am just curious.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
from my previous bikes i find that the after market piped tend to run much cooler. Also my passenger seat gets warm with the stock, so what have you got to lose.

catchm3fz

Reaction score
Visit site
from my previous bikes i find that the after market piped tend to run much cooler. Also my passenger seat gets warm with the stock, so what have you got to lose.

I have to say that after cruising around for about a hr I pulled off to a gas station to turn on my underbody lights and the switch it set up under the seat and the plastic under the seat was nice and toasty... STOCK EXHAUST...

So id say it probly wont make a difference. Eather way you can always buy the heat tape. Sorta like dynomat. lol

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the seat does gets too hot for comfort, you can always use some heat insulating material like the ones used for cars. A local auto parts store should carry and sell those.

Reevesy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently installed a set of carbon fibre slip on Devil exhaust.I find that it stay's cooler than the stock exhaust....besides it's all about the sound right:cool:

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode around my state back in March. About 400-500 kilometres a day in 30 degrees Celcius heat and never noticed any heat from the seat other than that caused by the sun. I have aftermarket micron pipes. They get quite warm but never noticed it on my seat neither has any of my pillions.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing i have noticed is that the stock exhaust tends to get really hot where the carbon fiber scorpions are cool enough you can touch them after riding all day.

max power

Reaction score
Visit site
dealer is talking s---e. i have scorpion race cans on mine. they run a lot cooler than stock. i can ride bike for a coupla hours and touch cans when i stop.my son used to get the arse burnt of him when i had standard ones on. no complaints now. so go for it:Sport:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock muffler can be really annoying in the summer. Too hot seat, especially for a passenger. Without having any experience I think it could not be worse than stock.

quick fz

Throttle Jockey!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed the two brothers aluminum and that b**** runs much cooler than stock. My girlfriend doesn't complain at all anymore :thumbup:

oh and it sounds sweeeeeeeettttttt