Affordable workshop for service in London

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

before I ask my (silly) question, I'll explain why I made this post.

My 2005 FZ6N stalls randomly only when the engine's temperature is 3 bars or higher. While it is cold it works perfect. When it gets warmed up it starts coughing, hiccups and in general the bike feels like pulling a truck behind. The TPS is not faulty, I've done the diagnostic test and the indicated values were ok. It has 36000miles on.

A helpful user in this forum, suggested that the valves may need adjustment. Today I popped in a Yamaha dealer and asked for a price, only for adjusting the valves. The answer? £220 loooool !! On my way back from the dealer I experienced engine-stalling near 8 times. It doesn't happen always however, because most of my daily trips are short.

So, my question is, "Where can I find in London a trustful and affordable yamaha workshop?"

Thanks

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I answered your other post, but.............. to adjust the clearances you have to remove the camshafts. £220 is probably 4 to 5 hours labour. It's not that expensive.

niko_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Dimos

Before going the expensive way, usually bikes need valves adjustment
after 20k

I would suggest you check the following

Whats is you idle speed when the bike is warmed up?if below 1260rpm increase it

Have you checked your air filter?Riding in London myself i find that a need to change airfilters a lot more often (k&n solved that problem)

I there any rust around your refueling hole?(I would imagine not, but sometimes you need to flush the tank because of all the dirt that accumulates at the bottom)

what kind of fuel are you using? 1 out of 3 tanks I would go for a decent high octane fuel, or use a fuel injector cleaner.

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Niko,
thanks for your response.

Symptoms:
  • My bike has 36000KM and I don't have the log-book, so it could be the valves. However, when I cover the exhaust output with my hand to minimize the noise, I don't hear the valves popping loud. I am not an expert though, and maybe valves can make noise only if they have totally bad clearances.
  • The day I bought it I ran on an empty tank and I pushed the bike to its limits by constantly hitting the starter - run for some time - stalling - hit starter again and so on
    , so, it could be some dirt which used to seat on the bottom of the tank. I used BP fuel.
  • There is usually strong smell of Petrol when the bike is on.
  • When cold and before warms up for good (e.g. have 3-bars temp indication) the bike runs smoothly
  • The idle speed used to be well below 1100rpm and the engine stalling was happening more frequently. I have adjusted the idle to 1270-1350rpm, but for longer distances in the traffic, when the temp goes higher (after 15mins riding) the idle rpm jump to 1350-1420rmp.
  • Everytime the bike stalls (even now), the engine feels and sounds weird, the rpm drop suddenly below 1000 (no matter that the idle is adjusted higher) and then it stalls when I pull the clutch.

Actions I'll take:
  • got Seafoam and will use it on a full tank of high-octane fuel
  • will dry the Tank from Petrol and try to see if there is any dirt, then I'll try to find a way to remove it
  • got new iriduim spark plugs and will fit them
  • I have already asked for a TPS replacement (its a 2005 model and it was never replaced)
  • I'll try to measure the valve clearence m self so that I know if this is the problem (I won't adjust them though)
  • You idea about the air filter is good, so I'' get a K&N (does it require any further tuning if I wear on the K&N, since more air will be pushed in the combustion chamber ?)

Then, fingers crossed...
If you have any further suggestions feel free to post. When I resolve m issue, at least, let hope that people who experience the same problem will find this thread useful.

Regards

Last edited:

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site

niko_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Niko,
thanks for your response.

Symptoms:
  • My bike has 36000KM and I don't have the log-book, so it could be the valves. However, when I cover the exhaust output with my hand to minimize the noise, I don't hear the valves popping loud. I am not an expert though, and maybe valves can make noise only if they have totally bad clearances.
  • The day I bought it I ran on an empty tank and I pushed the bike to its limits by constantly hitting the starter - run for some time - stalling - hit starter again and so on
    , so, it could be some dirt which used to seat on the bottom of the tank. I used BP fuel.
  • There is usually strong smell of Petrol when the bike is on.
  • When cold and before warms up for good (e.g. have 3-bars temp indication) the bike runs smoothly
  • The idle speed used to be well below 1100rpm and the engine stalling was happening more frequently. I have adjusted the idle to 1270-1350rpm, but for longer distances in the traffic, when the temp goes higher (after 15mins riding) the idle rpm jump to 1350-1420rmp.
  • Everytime the bike stalls (even now), the engine feels and sounds weird, the rpm drop suddenly below 1000 (no matter that the idle is adjusted higher) and then it stalls when I pull the clutch.

Actions I'll take:
  • got Seafoam and will use it on a full tank of high-octane fuel
  • will dry the Tank from Petrol and try to see if there is any dirt, then I'll try to find a way to remove it
  • got new iriduim spark plugs and will fit them
  • I have already asked for a TPS replacement (its a 2005 model and it was never replaced)
  • I'll try to measure the valve clearence m self so that I know if this is the problem (I won't adjust them though)
  • You idea about the air filter is good, so I'' get a K&N (does it require any further tuning if I wear on the K&N, since more air will be pushed in the combustion chamber ?)

Then, fingers crossed...
If you have any further suggestions feel free to post. When I resolve m issue, at least, let hope that people who experience the same problem will find this thread useful.

Regards

-Sorry I thought 3,600 not 36,000

-then it maybe the valves
-flushing the tank will probably sort it out,you may have a leak there and water is dripping in the fuel tank
-strong smell of fuel is common on the bike
-thats a bit unusual mine starts from one bar(check the coolant level maybe you need to flush the radiator, put some new coolant, check coolant tank also under the seat
-I had this as well with the low idle when I first bought the bike with 4,000 miles on it , changed the tps twice but nothing, then I have increased the idle speed put some injector cleaner the k&N and it was a lot better.

Although I am planning to buy a cheap power commander to sort the general luck of power in low rpms.
-Usually the idle speed is higher when the bike is cold, thats weird

k&n is plug and play
buy some coolant as well

Thanks
Niko

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
I 'll remove the petrol and try to clean it. WIll also have a good look for points of possible leakage, not easy to spot the small ones though.

Sorry, I didn't express myself before correctly (excuse me, I am not a native English speaker). The temp indication starts from 1 bar also on my bike, but when the temp shows 3 bars , then it is more likely the problem of stalling and performance drop to occur.

Great, K&N and injector cleaner may help me as well.

The idle speed starts at around 1500rpm when bike is cold, then drops to the range of 1270-1350rpm (indicating that it is ready to ride).
When temp reaches 3 bars (after riding for a while) it stabilizes a bit higher, at around 1320-1420rpm.
If I adjust the idle a little bit lower (so that the engine never reaches 1400rpm or so), then I have stalling problems before I reach the stabilizing (higher) temp.

Cheers

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I got my TPS replaced today and it seems that has solved all of the problems I was experiencing.

People from this Yamaha point:
West London Yamaha, London's Number 1 Premier Yamaha Dealer, UK
seem to be quite professional and have reasonable prices.

For instance, adjusting throttle bodies (at least 30-40mins work) costs around £30-£35, which I think is a really good price.

Thanks.