Advisability of occassional riding

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
(Sorry if this is a repeat...I didn't read all of the previous responses.)

You can't live your life on "what if's" and you can just as easily get hit while in your car!
But you have to listen to your own heart and do what's right for you. Good Luck.

pedge1

Reaction score
Visit site
I took a 16 year break for the same reasons. I had a 3yo and a newborn at the time and they were on my mind all of the time when I rode. I was also very concerned about my wife and riding two up, they could lose both parents. The wife and I also commuted together and I didn't find any time to ride the last couple of years I had the bike. It was sold and my heart was sick, but for me it was the right choice. I was much more of a squid back then, the only gear I ever wore was a helmet. When I came back to the sport in August, I was amazed at how much my skills had eroded. I also came back much more safety minded, I love riding in full gear. This is on issue where there isn't any right answer for everyone. Follow your gut.

naracy79

Reaction score
Visit site
It is gonna be a hard descision on me of I want to continue riding after this horrible crash, I like my bike and all the gear it saved my life but my whole family told me thats its dangerous and I sure enough gotten hit, the news channels over here and the cops don't seen to care enough about a hit and run. The hit and run is very common in San Antonio so thats waying in to. plus the gas I saved with the bike help out tremendous. I was even thinking about just getting a trail bike. we'll see what happens after the insurance probly totals my bike.....

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I was intending to move my motoring interests from the FZ6 to an old British roadster, the MGB. Since the idea popped into my head a couple months back, I've been on the fence. Depending on how much I enjoyed my previous ride, I either wanted to keep the FZ6 forever or was again thinking of selling it. I'd been perusing Craigslist for some time, and this last week came across the best deal I'd seen in two months. Bought it yesterday! $4k. I knew that selling the bike was the direction I "should" move in, but my heart wasn't in it. While I was excited about acquiring this car, I jumped on it and committed myself to this path.

I've driven it about 150 miles the weekend. Lots of fun, but nothing like a motorcycle. Fun in its different way, though. It feels very primitive (it is 32 years old), which create a real sense of charm about it. Easy to work on, which is good because there are lots of minor things wrong with it, but is generally quite sound. It's going to be a labor of love.

Till I sell it, I've got the bike tucked away in an obscure corner of the garage. It will be hard to resist the tempation to ride it for every last minute I still own it. Somehow I feel that will just result in buyer's remorse and second-guessing, so probably better that it just stay parked for now.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Yes, that MGB will be a labor of love. Positive earth is something to get used to. :) I got to drive a buddy's MGB in the early 80's.... fun car.

If you put the bike in the corner of the garage, do it and the potential next owner a favor and run some fuel stabilizer through it, change the oil, and lube the chain. If you want to make sure you don't suddenly decide to ride it, disconnect the battery and put a cover over it.

If you have the wherewithal to keep it, I would. Always better to keep your toys than 'sacrifice' them for the greater good. (It's a beyotch to get them back)

If you own it outright and have the space to store it, nothing is hurt by parking it..... execpt for the need to flush the brake fluid, and a few minor things like that, that bike could easily sit for years without any problems.