Advantages of Double Bubble

YoungAndDumb

Reaction score
Visit site
First, let me apologize if this has already been asked. I get a million results when I do a search for "double bubble" on here, but I gave up before I found the answer to my question, which is...

What are the advantages of a double bubble windshield?

I'm new to riding a motorcycle that goes over 45 mph, so I don't know the ins and outs of the best way for wind to hit you or whether it should be avoided all together. A little help with the high points would be appreciated!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, first and foremost a double bubble windshield looks fantastic on an FZ6:

Puig-1.jpg

I'm not convinced that it has made any huge difference as far as "wind" is concerned...if there is any difference, it's subtle. IAE, it's a vast improvement over the OEM screen in the aesthetics department, especially for pre-07 FZ6's.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I found that mine made a HUGE difference to the amount of wind-blast I suffer on the motorway. I'd never ride without one (on the road) again.

Looks sweet too.
2329807354_1a181b174a.jpg

Oh yeah - Welcome to having a 'big' bike. I love mine and I hope you like yours too.

Last edited:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like others mentioned; the Puig Screen looks awesome and helps steer the wind friction up over your head. With the factory screen I would feel the wind hitting my chest. Now it goes around my helmet. I like to tuck in under the screen at freeway speeds.
watermark.php

watermark.php

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They make both in the DB... The touring shield is taller and redirects more wind than the shorter racing shield.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look good, is there enough deflection in the racing one? i like the smaller screen but do want to reduce the wind factor.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The sport screen is about 2"+ taller than the stock Yamaha screen. I have not seen the touring screen and prefer the sport screen. I like the sport bike look more than the cruiser "Harley" screen look.;)

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I should clarify my comment above re: not noticing much difference in the wind blast. I am a compact Brit, so both the OEM and Puig screens protect my 5'8" of fightin' fury quite well from the wind.

YoungAndDumb

Reaction score
Visit site
I found that mine made a HUGE difference to the amount of wind-blast I suffer on the motorway. I'd never ride without one (on the road) again.

So, is the improvement simply from a taller and/or steeper-angled wind-shield... or is it from the "double bubble" shape of the windshield?

What I still don't understand is what the "bubble" part of the shape does.

BTW, thanks everyone for the pics... they do look great!

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone think that the "smoother" air pattern over the bike from the sport/racing double bubble, by blowing the air over the rider more than straight into them, would result in better economy on the freeway?

I am interested in the sport/racing one but I also don't want it to look "too big" on the bike if it's 2" taller. I think if it made a significant improvement over stock at 70mph, I could get over the 2" pretty quickly, since I will be doing a deal of highway riding.

For double bubble owners:

On a scale of 1-10, could you rate the wind noise from the stock screen, and then the Puig? And also if you have noticed any difference in economy? (which I doubt but felt I should ask)

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone think that the "smoother" air pattern over the bike from the sport/racing double bubble, by blowing the air over the rider more than straight into them, would result in better economy on the freeway?

I am interested in the sport/racing one but I also don't want it to look "too big" on the bike if it's 2" taller. I think if it made a significant improvement over stock at 70mph, I could get over the 2" pretty quickly, since I will be doing a deal of highway riding.

For double bubble owners:

On a scale of 1-10, could you rate the wind noise from the stock screen, and then the Puig? And also if you have noticed any difference in economy? (which I doubt but felt I should ask)

I would not be concerned that much with wind noise as much as with wind BLAST when talking about the Puig Sport Screens. I must say that on scale 1-10 (10 being most windy and ucomfortable) the stock screen scores 7 or 8. On the other hand, the Puig screen blocks most of the wind gusts and thus the rides become more enjoyable at higher speeds. I give it a 4.

If you are concerned about noise, I found that the most important factor that will reduce noise are helmets. My shoei rf1000 blocks most of the dB wind noise much better than lets say a cheaper quality helmet. Wear ear plugs they'll help ya.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Dont know if anyone else has heard of it happening but a friend who has a CBR1000 had his instrument panel slightly bubbled after leaving the bike in the sun. The crease in the bubble sheild acted as a magnafying glass. I cant comment on the screens for the FZ6 though. It might just be the particular brand he had on his Honda?

sifr

Reaction score
Visit site
Dont know if anyone else has heard of it happening but a friend who has a CBR1000 had his instrument panel slightly bubbled after leaving the bike in the sun. The crease in the bubble sheild acted as a magnafying glass. I cant comment on the screens for the FZ6 though. It might just be the particular brand he had on his Honda?

The Puigs have a warning about this on them. The one I just put on my FZ6 did (PUIG racing, blue).

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the screen acts like a magnifying glass and the concentrated light beams WILL melt your instrument panel! That goes for the factory screen and all other screens. One way to avoid it is to stay away from direct sunlight, park in the shade, trust me your bike prefers the shade. If there is no shade to be found, cover the instrument panel with a cloth so that it does not melt. :Sport:

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been trying to decide myself if I want the Racing or the Touring screen. This bike is now my commuter/twisties sport bike. I travel 120 round trip to work....had bike 2 weeks and have over 800 miles on it woo hoo.... most of the riding is highway.... ahhh im so indecisive..first was Blue or Black Bike (bought blue cause its faster) then was Synthetic or conventional 20w or 15 0r 10w... rotella or yamalube or mobile one.....87 89 or 93 octane..... now this.....argghhhhh... guess I will just have to buy both..... Oh boy cant wait to pick out an exhaust system!...Does anyone out there have a pic of the touring screen? :eek:

haasfam

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, this might be a really dumb question but I read about both a racing and a sport screen. Are they the same thing, just different names? Or are they two different screens? If so, what is the difference between the racing and the sport?

Thanks

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Sorry, this might be a really dumb question but I read about both a racing and a sport screen. Are they the same thing, just different names? Or are they two different screens? If so, what is the difference between the racing and the sport?

Thanks

For the FZ6 at least, there is no difference between sport or racing. It's the same thing. (PUIG anyway).

However there are differences between sport and touring screens.