Accountability

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I've been at my new job for a little over 90 days. When I arrived I walked into the office and thought, "What a freaking mess!" Well come to find out I inherited three employees who brought an EEO law suit to the agency, people wouldn't talk to one another, back stabbing, gossip, etc. What a mess...So I put some very basic management into place; be on time, be prepared, do what you commited to, don't screw off, be proactive and don't hide problems. Well after 90 days of holding people accountable I've had two turn in their retirement papers. Oddly (or not) they were my top Problem Children, the ones who stirred up trouble and sucked the good people into the mess. Once they left the feeling in the air was amazing; people started humming, singing and laughing. The difference is night and day.

The next three quarters will bring them a new computer system, simplifed business processes and now that the dead wood is leaving, raises.

Just wanted to share.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
What an awesome feeling that must be!! :thumbup: Sounds like you are doing a very good job!!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I used to tell the kids I sent off to boot camp that there were really only four things you needed to do to be sucessful in the Navy.....
1) Show up on time
2) wear a clean uniform
3) do your job
4) and don't mouth off at the boss*

* If you need to do that, do it in private, where he wouldn't feel the need to 'enforce discipline'. And make sure you offer a solution to the problem you bring up.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
More great news! We need a LOT MORE of this in our country. Thanks for sharing and doing what is right!:rockon:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on all of the above...

If more people would just be as pragmatic about all of this nonsense we would be so much more productive...

You would think capitalism would be able to truly expose the meritocracy that the US should be and allow it to thrive...

It is moves like yours that will save this country... :thumbup::thumbup:

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with all of the above. Nice work. I hope you get the recognition you deserve!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. It's been an interesting job. I work for a State Agency and it has a very interesting workplace culture. So many employees have been with the Agency for 20 plus years, and to top it off have had the same job for 20 plus years. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that but I've never been in a culture like that before. Both the Army and Tech has a "up or out" philosophy. Either you get promoted or you go away. State government on the other hand is kind of the opposite, once you are in you have to pretty much murder someone in order to get fired. The problem is organizations tend to say stuck in time. So much of what is done in my office is paper based. We have over 2,100 cases we are working on, all of which are in expandable folders. I’ve got about 75, “five stack” filing cabinets full of paper! If a document is sent to a tax payer it must be approved by one guy, but prior to going to that one guy five other guys must approve it! It is insane.

Now on the other hand the recession has brought many strong people to government and fortunately our Business Process Improvement group is outstanding! I work with a guy who is a former Marine Warrant Officer. He is whip-sharp and together we make a great team for redesigning my office. Also my boss and her boss are fully supportive so I’ve got the dollars and the okay to make the changes. So the job has been very fun. I really think that a year from now we will be operating in the “new world” and will have the ability to process cases faster for a lower cost to the State.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. It's been an interesting job. I work for a State Agency and it has a very interesting workplace culture. So many employees have been with the Agency for 20 plus years, and to top it off have had the same job for 20 plus years. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that but I've never been in a culture like that before. Both the Army and Tech has a "up or out" philosophy. Either you get promoted or you go away. State government on the other hand is kind of the opposite, once you are in you have to pretty much murder someone in order to get fired. The problem is organizations tend to say stuck in time. So much of what is done in my office is paper based. We have over 2,100 cases we are working on, all of which are in expandable folders. I’ve got about 75, “five stack” filing cabinets full of paper! If a document is sent to a tax payer it must be approved by one guy, but prior to going to that one guy five other guys must approve it! It is insane.

Now on the other hand the recession has brought many strong people to government and fortunately our Business Process Improvement group is outstanding! I work with a guy who is a former Marine Warrant Officer. He is whip-sharp and together we make a great team for redesigning my office. Also my boss and her boss are fully supportive so I’ve got the dollars and the okay to make the changes. So the job has been very fun. I really think that a year from now we will be operating in the “new world” and will have the ability to process cases faster for a lower cost to the State.

Very honest way to earn a living man...better still that you're loving it!! I envy you..still a student here with the big bad world facing me, seems you've conquered something and made life a lot better for those in your office!!

Merry Christmas Santa! :D

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Very honest way to earn a living man...better still that you're loving it!! I envy you..still a student here with the big bad world facing me, seems you've conquered something and made life a lot better for those in your office!!

Merry Christmas Santa! :D

I hear ya on being a student... I just finished my education but the licensing board takes a vacation from this week till January 4th... then to apply to take my boards its another 3 weeks and $500 then if I pass another 3 weeks till I get approval to get a license... then I have to wait 3 more weeks to approve the license... Looks like we need someone's organization skills **cough cough all over the place...

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't stand a-hole, nazi, drill sergeant bosses............... thinking they own the world :D

Just messin, Pete! Glad you got it turned around the way you knew would work out best for you and the other employees!