Accountability

I have been offered federal government jobs many times and this is why I continue to turn them down.

I understand. I think I really depends on the organization. I'll admit I was hesitant at first but it's been a great learning experience. I'm going to leave with a PhD in Employee Relations! I've had more people issues to deal with in 90 days than 20 years in the Army!

Another odd thing is elected positions, appointed positions and us regular employees. An offical is elected and then they have a certain number of people that they appoint. The appointed positions have long, offical sounding titles; Chief Associate Assistant Super-Duper General Counsel. etc... It's kind of funny. They can be a mixed bag; some are very good and others you really wonder how they tie their shoes in the morning. The elected offical comes in with a plan, has 4 to 6 years to do stuff and chances are they move on, or they are in the role forever. Many of the old timers just shrug and tell me not to worry about it.

But as I said, it is fun and I learn all kinds of different things everyday!

I can't stand a-hole, nazi, drill sergeant bosses............... thinking they own the world :D

Just messin, Pete! Glad you got it turned around the way you knew would work out best for you and the other employees!

Hey Kyle, I just tell them to drop and beat their face!

Really it's as simple as what a good E5 should know; take care of your people and they will take care of you. Trust is such a big issue with my team. They have been let down and burned for so many years.

I'm working on a Rewards and Recognition program, there isn't one and some people haven't had a raise in three years! Napoleon said, "Give me enough ribbon and I'll conquer the world.

Pete - sounds like you are doing an excellent job! :thumbup:

Isn't it amazing how much time is wasted on the poor performers when you should really be giving your time (and compliments) to the good performers? I shake my head daily... Life in HR...

Back