Accident last night... V3.0 destroyed.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
i know eh. its almost like she was TRYING to hit you. homicidal asian/women drivers i tellz ya!!!

Not likely even though it does seem like it sometimes. There have been some psychological studies done that suggest drivers really DO NOT SEE motorcycles, even when they're actually there. Has to do with the idea that "vertical" objects (light poles, signs, buildings) are stationary where as moving cars are classified by the brain as "horizontal" objects. Because bikes are vertical objects the brain says "the bike you see is not moving" even when it's obviously not true!

I've been on both sides of this - I once walked right into the path of a MC but fortunately no accident resulted - only some (justifiable) hard feelings on his part. I've also T-boned a car that made a U-Turn into the path of my Kawasaki Bighorn. I cut him some slack cause it was at night and in the rain. Another driver crossed an intersection into my path in broad daylight (t-bone again). Both said they never saw me...

I now ride with the assumption that I am LITERALLY INVISIBLE to cars (and pedestrians). I NEVER assume that they see me. Thousands of miles on my Dawes road bicycle have ingrained the defensive behavior into my psyche because the bicycle rider is even more vulnerable than the motorcyclist. However, before I retired I gave up commuting on bicycle and MC because our metropolitan area has one of the nation's highest accident rates for MC (combination of bad roads, bad drivers and either very young or very old MC riders). Every rider needs to evaluate the risk they're taking and make the decision when and where to ride based on facts, not emotion. I still ride a good deal, but when I need to go downtown I usually pick the cage.
:Sport:

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Nope I dont think it had to do with the color of the bike. Could you of been hidden in the sun or glare from a car or building behind you?

Its a part of riding. We put ourselves out there. Its a risk we all take. I am glad your ok man. I know you will be back on two again soon. Its not something we can do without.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Again, I am working my way through this thread to respond to all of you as I get a little time here and there, so please be patient lol... (family arriving today from Europe for my wedding, dealing with all this, work, the baby, the last min preparations for the wedding, the pain meds (i love vicodin lol)... etc... it's been busy!!!!)

in the meantime, I just got off the phone with the insurance appraisal guy, and here is how it went:

The bike is totaled... and the guy mentioned I should be getting my max $2000 of "aftermarket parts" insurance on top of the value of the bike... even though the frame is cracked (where the fairing mounting holes are), and the front end is "badly mangled up" (Koso gauges "are nowhere to be found"), he asked me: "that bike was clean before the crash, wasn`t it?"... I told him that it made the top ten out of hundreds of yamaha custom models, and it was supposed to be showcased in the Yamaha tent at the Laguna Seca Moto GP next wkd... to which he responded "ahh I knew it, I`ve been doing this for 25 years and saw over 10k wrecked bikes (500 of involving fatalities), and I could tell this was a nice looking bike..."

Sorry for for all the folks who pm_ed me for dibs on parts... but it looks like I`ll just take the cash :Sport:

Last edited:

zero2sixty

Reaction score
Visit site
Did not like hearing about your mishap, but does sound like you are bouncing back and that is a good thing. So how/on what are you now going to ride on the weekends with your buds and post all those awesome pics of So Cal for us all??!! Hope everything works out.
John.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Again, I am working my way through this thread to respond to all of you as I get a little time here and there, so please be patient lol... (family arriving today from Europe for my wedding, dealing with all this, work, the baby, the last min preparations for the wedding, the pain meds (i love vicodin lol)... etc... it's been busy!!!!)

in the meantime, I just got off the phone with the insurance appraisal guy, and here is how it went:

The bike is totaled... and the guy mentioned I should be getting my max $2000 of "aftermarket parts" insurance on top of the value of the bike... even though the frame is cracked (where the fairing mounting holes are), and the front end is "badly mangled up" (Koso gauges "are nowhere to be found"), he asked me: "that bike was clean before the crash, wasn`t it?"... I told him that it made the top ten out of hundreds of yamaha custom models, and it was supposed to be showcased in the Yamaha tent at the Laguna Seca Moto GP next wkd... to which he responded "ahh I knew it, I`ve been doing this for 25 years and saw over 10k wrecked bikes (500 of involving fatalities), and I could tell this was a nice looking bike..."

Sorry for for all the folks who pm_ed me for dibs on parts... but it looks like I`ll just take the cash :Sport:
Its you bike David, you should do with it as you wish. On a much more important note.
Congratulations on your impending wedding, I wish you, your bride to be and your baby the very best for a happy and contented future.

Nelly

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks bro... I have a good lawyer and he`s working on it :thumbup:

Can you make sure you tell your lawyer that not only did the driver inflict pain and suffering which you would like to be compensated for, but also to include all of us members here on this forum as well as we all agreed that your bike was freaking awsome, and your bike was not just representing you, but all the 3000 plus members here on this forum at Laguna Seca next week as the top 100 Yamaha bikes. Therefore we as members are suffering through the pain of your loss and wish to be compensated as well. Would a petition help?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you make sure you tell your lawyer that not only did the driver inflict pain and suffering which you would like to be compensated for, but also to include all of us members here on this forum as well as we all agreed that your bike was freaking awsome, and your bike was not just representing you, but all the 3000 plus members here on this forum at Laguna Seca next week as the top 100 Yamaha bikes. Therefore we as members are suffering through the pain of your loss and wish to be compensated as well. Would a petition help?

Can I get some dibs on that compensatory cash as well? Ka-Ching :D.

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Wave... damn that's frightening what you went through! Real glad you're okay though. On a very good note though, congratulations on the wedding and the little arrival! My best to you!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site

...and it was! ARRGHH!! I'm ALMOST mad at your for crashing it again!! Why you....you...ARRGHHH!!

I feel very sad about this. Now how are you supposed to go to the LAGUNA SECA showcase? Everyone would've seen that black FZ6!! Everyone would've thought it was the coolest bike in the world and thrown a party and declared world peace and...and...

The best things in life are CRASHED!!

-Titanic
-Hindenburg
-NASA

Well, at least you had it for when you did. Although you went hardcore with the mods on that thing, YOU STILL SET ASIDE SOME IDEAS FOR SAFETY. You had a SHOEI RF-1000 and Alpinestars jacket? Man, I think those are THEE reasons you're still alive, besides skill.

Personally, I somehow wish you could get that bike back. That was a one of a kind. Something you couldn't buy...

...YOU MAKE SURE TO GET REPLACEMENT GEAR!! YOU DEMAND MONEY FOR YOUR HELMET AND STUFF!! DON'T LET THOSE PEOPLE **** YOU AROUND!! YOU YELL FOR THEM TO PAY AND GET YOU A LEGENDARY DAINESE SUIT!!!!! LIKE THE W-FRAME!!! YOU WANT SIDI BOOTS!! YOU TELL THEM TO PAY FOR YOUR SAFETY!! INSURANCE WANTS TO PAY AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE TO 'FIX' THINGS....WELL MAKE THEM PREVENT!!! IF YOU'RE GOING TO GET ON A ITALIAN DUCATI 848, YOU DEMAND THEM TO GET YOU AN ITALIAN-MADE DAINESE LEATHER SUIT!!

Anyway, I'm sure you're well enough to endure my screaming, but I think it's good advice. Have a nice honeymoon!!

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
hey dude

not good to hear about the crash

realyl glad your are all ok with only sorness in shoulder/neck
and no broken bones

after having a nast accident just under 1yr back i cant tell u they are not fun ( still recovering )

the bike can be replace you/body parts cannot
shame it is a write off :(
the low amount of injuries is more than likely linked to your gear! another reason why i ride full geared all the time

congrats on the marriage too! and a baby wish your partner and kid a good one!

btw
Monster S4Rs stuff the 848!

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Man really sorry to hear that, I'm pretty new here and was just looking at all of your pictures and videos two days ago- maybe while you were lying on the ground- and thinking I want to do that to my bike. Your pictorial display of streetfighters had me engrossed at work and I was considering the lazer exhaust too, loved the look on yours.

Really glad you're okay, sorry about the bike but now you can start all over again with something new. I hope things work out well with the insurance company, it sounds like your adjuster isn't going to screw you though so that's good news at least. Good luck bro!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First of all i am very glad that you are alright and i apologize for not posting sooner, but i have been neglecting my forum duties :) I definitely hope you stick around and i look forward to your posts in the future!

Once again, glad you are ok:cheer:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
G-ddamn it David, you must be a cat with 9 lives! 3 Solid wrecks without a real scratch on you!?! Amazing...

I'm really glad to hear you are alright. As someone else has already said here, the horn is your friend. As soon as I even think someone doesn't see me, I give a little beep as a friendly warning and it has saved my a$$ several times now. If you want some company on one of these weekends to help salvage some parts off the bike, you know I'll be there with wrenches in hand to help you out bro.

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site

sign me up. and i also have a ton of vicodin. and flexarils. comes from being old. good luck on the wedding. you should be able to have a great honeymoon.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Wavex I'm glad that you got out of this terrible accident pretty much unscaved/unscathed. Not too many people how your "luck", but still the odds are scary. I hope the other person involved gets what they deserve, no matter what BS excuse she comes up with. It doesn't jive with how she drove at that moment. Just like most people here, we all had our fair share of this scenario or close to it. As a matter of fact, just last week on my way home (a longer route than usual), after making a clear right turn at a TL I had notice some traffic build up on the right side of the road. I decided to go on the left side (2 lanes on my side) when I noticed an SUV keeping a good amount of space between he and the car in front of him. Of course I thought, hmm looks like an accident waiting to happen. True enough as I slowed down to that point and honking (just in case) and IDIOT cager pulls in quickly without even creeping in slowly to watch for incoming traffic!! I quickly pulled my breaks and ending up with a little endo. The MOTHERF'er just kept on going after he saw me and what he just did. Then at the traffic light we both made a left turn, keeping a good distance between us that same IDIOT cager turns on his right hand turn signal and pulls in front of the Post Office (appearing to park) where another vehicle was park. Then he F"ing decides to pull back into traffic as I pass along side of him. Again I put on the brakes and lifted my visor and cursing the sh*t out of him, told him this is twice now he did these without looking. All this cager could do was shrug his shoulder and signal for me to hurry up and go ahead of him. I was so tempted kick out my sidestand and make a lasting impression on this MOTHERF'ers face. The nerve of that IDIOT, I was actually hoping that a local police officer was behind us to witness this guy's reckless driving, I'm sure I would be justified if I beat the sh*t out of him. I went home and cooled off and didn't tell the missus or else I won't see any riding for some time.
But to get back to you, I am very happy that you're okay. Just curious, with your recent odds with accidents, have you thought of taking the "other" mode of transportation a little more?? I certainly wouldn't want you to give up riding, far from it. I just don't want to "know of you", but to "know you" and be able to keep reading about your good rides and your good looking ride.
Just be carefull Bro, too many F"ing idiots out there and not enough of us.

Ares

hey Ares, thanks a lot for the post, I appreciate it.

I`ve told the wife I would not commute anymore, so the next ride will be for wkds rides mostly... maybe a few track days here and there... a commute or two a month shouldn`t be pushing it too much :D

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi David,I am so glad you are OK, FFS she could have killed you. You have nine lives mate (well 7 left) please don't use any more up.
Do you think you could have avoided it at all? God bless you and your gear.

If its totaled can I get first dibs on your seat and Exhaust?
Get better son, sue the lunatic to kingdom come.

Nelly

Thanks Nelly... I think I answered this already ^^, but yeah, it could have been avoided... all accidents "could" have been avoided "if" something had happened differently... in this case I made a wrong assumption about the cager. Don`t do it, some of them are crazy... they`re a minority, but they`re out there... I`ve had my share (commuting in LA for 2 years every single day, with a few close calls), but never had an accident while commuting until now (add 3 years to that in French city traffic, raining or snowing I was on the bike... did not have a choice, it`s the only thing I could afford).

About dibs, sorry (I think I have gotten 15pms for parts LOL), but I think I`ll just take the cash and move on :)

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Bro,

Congrats with the coming wedding, and the kid. I'm sure you'll have your hands full not only with the wedding preparation but with the preparation for the little one. Get well for alot of reason, you're going to need it. :Sport:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your OK!!! jeez some guys will do anything to avoid getting married.:justkidding:

in all seriousness though, sorry about your bike. hind sight being what it is, if you could have a redo is there anything you would have done differently?
hopefully they total it for you. don't be quick to take there first offer, neck and back injuries are no joke, and impossible to disprove. you should get a nice settlement out of this. was she ticketed for failure to yeild the right of way?

if you do end up fixing your bike I forbid you from calling it Version 4.0, I think it would be bad karma!!!

lol I signed the papers on 2-5-07, this is just the ceremony, which got delayed due to a surprise baby, and logistic issues with ppl from my family traveling over to visit :)

Thanks for the good words... in all seriousness, V3.0 was my favorite... it looked just like I wanted my bike to look, and apart from the missing bellypan -which is sitting right here painted and ready to be mounted (any takers? :lol)-, I wouldn`t change a thing on that bike.

I don`t know about whether or not she was ticketed... I was on my back and then transported to the hospital... I don`t know wth happened there... getting a copy of the report may take up to 10days :(

I won`t settle for anything less than the $6k for what I think the bike was worth, + all medical expenses.