About to Purchase 1st Bike

D

Dave.TX

Howdy y'all. In a few weeks I should be ready to purchase my first bike. Options as of now: There's still a brand new one at a dealer (2009) about 180 miles from me for $5999, or there's a used 2008 with 6400 miles at a local dealer for $4700; it has hard Givi saddlebags and Leo Vance exhaust. I'll be forking over about 20% as a down payment and financing the rest. I'm sure the prices are somewhat negotiable.

Do you think either one of those is a good deal? Granted today is Sunday and both dealerships are closed until Tuesday, but I'm hoping to call and maybe plop down a deposit to hold one or the other.

Yup, been lurking here for almost a year but been interested in an FZ6 for about 3-4 years. Did the MSF basic two years ago and got my license a little over a year ago.

Your input is greatly appreciated. I look forward to riding with some of you in the future!

C

CoolATIGuy

Congrats! Exciting times!

I would not go for the new bike, for multiple reasons...Let someone else take the hit for driving it off the dealer lot - in about 50 feet of riding you've lost a ton of your investment right off the bat. Also, as your first bike, hope for the best but plan for the worst - just take for granted you'll drop it (if not at speed, at least in the driveway). Get one with some existing "character". :)

On top of all that, do you really want to have all this pent-up excitement end with a break-in period? Keeping it under certain speeds/rpms, you won't get to hit that fun powerband...

For the used '08, that's right at average miles for it's age looks like. Price isn't great for stock, but it does come with the Givi's and Leo Vance. I'd say it's an ok deal, but nothing spectacular.

I got almost a dozen hits from "FZ6" in the Austin, TX craigslist classifieds - I'd go over those results first. Research KBB.com and nadaguides.com for blue book prices.

In the end, up to you - happy riding! ATGATT

Last edited by a moderator:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum! Which ever bike you choose you'll find we have the best group of members here on the forum.

Both bikes sound like a decent deal and as you say the prices are probably negotiable. The FZ6 is one of the best bikes you could ever own and ride. You can dial them in to suit your specific needs. It is a very dynamic machine.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd 100% go with the one with more miles with the Givi's and Leo's.... again, not a spectacular deal, but with the right negotiations very do-able.

:welcome: BTW, and pics will be required :rolleyes: (j/k)

D

Dave.TX

Thanks, fellas. As for pic's I've been on online forums for years (mostly because of my truck) so know if your post doesn't have pic's you get ridden hard (pun intended?) about it.

Good advice on buying a used one. Of course it'll cost less up front and it's already broken in. I've been pouring over the ad's for the last couple of months, Craigslist included. Sometimes I see so much and read so much I forget about some things. If I could help out a fellow rider by purchasing from private instead of dealer... it's usually money well spent. I'll check with the credit union tomorrow or so and see what they'll finance for an '07-'09 (I like the newer FZ1 style gauges, blacked out motor/frame and remapped FI).

As for newness, well, actually getting a bike is another story. I've been lusting determined over getting a bike for about 5 years now and taking my time getting there. Now that I see the end of the tunnel I'd rather it be today than early September!

Abschatten

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to say i purchased my Fz-6 this summer with 0 miles on her from a dealership for $5800 but then again i was in Michigan when i bought her. Just saying that is to high even for where i am in Chicago. Go look for a used bike in your area with craigslist. Or do some research on the surrounding area and see if you can get a better deal.

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to agree with the rest of the group - go used. Craigslist and this board will be your friends during the search. Unfortunately buying the used one from the dealer means that they have less wiggle room than an individual, but you can still talk them down. Mine was an 07 with 10500 miles with full givi set up and heated grips for 3800 plus tax when I registered in Indiana - im sure there are better and worse deals out there, but the saddle bags and exhaust are nice extras as long as you like them. If you dont like the loud sounds of the exhaust then pass on them and dont let the dealer or individual try and tell you that they are worth a ton of money, because they are nice to havs, but not essential to the bikes price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Your money, your choice. Just paid $5650 for a new blue 2009 in Burleson, TX. Was going to be $5995, but another $300 in customer cash just came out mid August from Yamaha. As for the used one, the DFW area at least, and I think all of TX goes heavily by KBB. Look up KBB trade value for the bike and figure they gave that AT MOST to whomever traded it. They would not have given anything for the bags and exhaust (don't ask me how I know). Offer them a couple hundred for starters over KBB trade and see if they go for it. Work up from there. New gets you a new warranty and control over how you break it in and build it as you like. I also paid $450 for a new YES extended 48 month warranty. If you google it you'll find $443 is about the best you'll pay online so I got the dealer to match it. Good luck and stay safe.

Edited to add--having just sold a 2007 Honda VTX1800 I purchased new in late 2009 buyers told me their banks/cred unions would only finance a bike up to two model years old--so not sure about the 2008

Edited yet again to add, this is my SECOND 2009. I bought the same bike in 2009 and paid $6600. It was $1000 cheaper brand new now.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to posting on the forum :)

I'd go the used one - just not worth the extra money. There are probably better deals out there if you have the patience to look.

Good luck and we look forward to pics :rockon:

bobbo7

Reaction score
Visit site
Those recommending buying used make good points...but just consider the following:

You don't know how the original owner treated the bike and/or what happened to it. It's also not a bad thing to keep the RPMs low for the first 600 miles...it's a nice period for you and the bike to "get up to speed".

We bought our 2009 FZ6 new last August, and I appreciate the fact that I needed to take it easy the first 600 miles. It had been a while (19 years) since I rode, and the bike needed to be broken in properly. Another advantage of buying new is that you may get a deal on gear from the dealer. We got a 25% discount on all gear for the first year: 2 helmets, 2 jackets, 2 pants, etc...really adds up.

I LOVE my new '09, and am glad I didn't buy a used bike.

In the end (as the previous poster said) it's YOUR money, and you should do what makes you happy.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your ride, and welcome to the forum.

dave

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Although tempting, I think mistake #1 is buying a used bike from a dealer. He's going to get much more than a private seller would.

If you want it new, as others have pointed out you have to pay setup and destination fees.

There are sweetheart deals to be had from private sellers you just have to be patient. If you waited this long perhaps you could spend a little more time looking? A tall order, I know. But wishing you the best of luck whichever way you decide to go

NC-Tony

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought a new leftover 2008 FZ6 Black from a dealer in MT for $4900 out the door. My local NC dealers couldn't come within 2k of that price. Do some searching, and buy a new leftover.

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the same situation as you OP. I have been looking for used and new and posted here a few days ago about a used bike at a local dealer. Only problem I am having is that all the bikes I have found are far away. Good luck with whatever you decide and be happy that you have choices that are nearby!

D

Dave.TX

Edited to add--having just sold a 2007 Honda VTX1800 I purchased new in late 2009 buyers told me their banks/cred unions would only finance a bike up to two model years old--so not sure about the 2008.

According to their website my credit union does model years up to 7 years old. I'll have a talk with them this week.

D

Dave.TX

Thanks everybody... good advice and encouragement.

I live near Austin, TX, which is close to the middle of the state. A couple hours drive will get me to Houston or DFW areas. Austin seems to have higher than average prices from the state. DFW has a TON of motorcycle shops and dealers which means there's more bikes up there too. A few of the dealerships in the Houston area are cheaper than Austin too. San Antonio isn't far behind and only about an hour away.

There's a decent deal on Craigslist for a bike in Corpus Christi but it's almost a 4 hour drive for me. I do have a full size Chevy truck (Texas Edition, whodathunkit) so can always drive down and load it in the truck, that's not a problem.

Years ago I had a real bad problem with impulse buying which got me in trouble. I'm older and wiser now (so I keep telling myself) so maybe I can wait a little longer and see if a sweet deal comes around. Unfortunately people are hurting for money nowadays and starting to sell off non-essential things like bikes, extra cars, etc. Who knows what will pop up in the next month or so.

As far as Nebraska and not much around there, I can sympathize with you. I have relatives in Bladen, NE, and have been there. If you like corn, there's plenty. Your nearest neighbor... might not see them for weeks. I guess you'd have to chunk over to Lincoln or Omaha, maybe Kansas or whatever bordering state you live by to look at bikes. I used to live near San Diego, CA, and you can get just about anything there you desire. And the weather is usually so nice. On Wednesday Austin will set a new record of 70 days at or above 100 degrees this year (it was 103 today).

Burleson is closer to me than DFW. The new one I was seeing was at Stadium Yamaha in Irving. That's the only brand new FZ6 coming up for the entire state on Cycletrader. If I were to peruse the individual dealerships websites I may find a gem in the hiding that isn't advertised. We'll see!

Dave

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everybody... good advice and encouragement.

As far as Nebraska and not much around there, I can sympathize with you. I have relatives in Bladen, NE, and have been there. If you like corn, there's plenty. Your nearest neighbor... might not see them for weeks. I guess you'd have to chunk over to Lincoln or Omaha, maybe Kansas or whatever bordering state you live by to look at bikes. I used to live near San Diego, CA, and you can get just about anything there you desire. And the weather is usually so nice. On Wednesday Austin will set a new record of 70 days at or above 100 degrees this year (it was 103 today).

Dave

I live 10 minutes from Omaha and am still having trouble finding something close. From where I'm at theres Omaha and Lincoln and everything else is just empty space and farmland to those of us over here :thumbup:.

D

Dave.TX

Well, Famous, your drive to Kansas City would be roughly the same for me to drive to Ft. Worth. Looks like something you may have to consider. I've been to KC before too but wasn't shopping for motorcycles, was there for the Hot Rod Power Tour in 1999. Anyway, with gas prices and whatever other factors you have to consider, I don't know if that's feasible for you or not. It's one thing that I already considered and accepted in my quest for a bike.

I have the luxury of having an aunt and uncle in Grapevine (near the DFW Airport) so if I go there then I'd get to visit them also. There's a ton of motorcycle shops around that area. I also work 10 hour shifts, so 4 on and 3 off every week. 3 day weekends are nice. It's all just working out for me at the moment so trying to take advantage of it while it lasts. Couldn't do it last year or even earlier this year. Have patience and keep watching the forums. Maybe something will pop up that you can take advantage of.

I don't have a bike yet! Working some extra jobs and will have to wait for those checks to come in. Between last week and this week I'm going to rake in some really good dough and I've never been in this position before. I'm working for a road construction crew (it's all temporary) aside from my normal job and it's gotta be one of the easiest jobs I've ever had but it's a necessary one too so someone has to do it. I'll be working 8 days straight this week and every day is 10-14 hours. I'm grateful for every cent I get. This stuff wasn't available to me a month ago, just kinda fell in my lap. Being single with no kids makes it somewhat easier.

A lot of guys and gals get their bikes when they're teens or in their 20's. I've ridden in the past quite a bit but it's been 10 years since I've had anything. In that 10 years I've been flat broke many times but never gave up hope that things would get better. I'm 41 and about to own my first street cycle (and turn 42 in three months). I'm not gonna let this opportunity pass this time.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I would hate to tell you which one to buy and be wrong, so I'm not going to do that. I'm telling you to buy both! Can't go wrong there! :thumbup::welcome: