2006 FZ6 purchase with low mileage (km's)

Chargeracing

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

New here so I thought I'd get started right away. Getting ready to buy my first bike (2006 FZ6 of course). Found a couple but one only has 5000 km's (about 3,200 miles). I know that bike has been sitting for at least two years without being used (other than ~50 km's when purchased a year ago by previous owner and an occasional startup in the garage). Took a test drive the other day and realized the throttle was sticking. I will read up on it to see if this is usually the cable or some sort of return spring on the throttle body.

My question is what other issues should I be looking at when the bike has gone for such a long time without being used regularly. I need to decide if it is better to buy a bike with less km's which is about $800 more, or one with more km's but is now ready for the manufacturer suggested valve clearance adjustment ($800 quote for service).

Thanks in advance

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

Personally, I'd get the one with the lower mileage. Apart from an oil + filter change and a little bit of extra cleaning/greasing there shouldn't be much work to do on the low mileage one.
Be sure to check for tank rust though- I'd even pull out and clean the fuel pump.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd prefer the low mileage bike BUT as noted above, if the fuel tank was parked partially full, it may very well be rusted up inside (at least a tank de-rust treatment) and fuel pump check / clean best as possible(filter is NOT replaceable).

Throttle is basic maintenance, lube cables, check bar for rust under the throttle tube, etc..

Possible tires if their original and all fluids should be replaced/ serviced..

If you post some pic's, that would help us seeing if anything was "dinked with"..

I'd ask for any maintenance records / receipts too

Chargeracing

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you.

I can do the throttle cable and grip.

Good idea with the gas tank, seller informed me the fuel pump was changed a few months ago so I asked for records. Still may be rust in the tank so I may want to transport the bike and clean the tank as well as the new fuel pump.

Only cosmetic issue, I noticed that the right foot brake pedal arm looked bent. The shifter arm looks straight and the shifter peg is parallel to the left foot peg, but the right rear brake arm looks bent and the rear brake peg is NOT parallel to the foot peg. No other scratches in that area so probably nothing.

Here are some pics.

View attachment 69258
View attachment 69259
View attachment 69260
IMG_7733.jpg
IMG_7734.jpg
IMG_7738.jpg
IMG_7739.jpg
IMG_7740.jpg
IMG_7743.jpg

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Overall, looks god.

The chain definitely needs some cleaning and lube (nasty).

Why does he have after market pegs on for the passenger?

Lastly, the front brake lever, the top end (ball) looks ground down, you may want to inspect further.

IF the bikes been dropped (right, rear brake lever bent?), set it on the center stand and sit on the bike. Pay attention to how the fairing fits, IE, is it crooked at all (usually visible with the bars straight). Also checking the gap between the tank and the fairing, each side should be the same. Nothing that can't be repaired. The fairing stay supports the whole nose and EASILY gets bent on just about any drop. (I'm on #3 last count),

Lastly ask about the fuel pump. Why was it changed (rust likely in the filter) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, was the tank rusty and did someone address that?