A Warm welcome? ... I hope :P

sterling fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
So, Today i recieved my FZ6 S2 - 07 Plate.

I guess that means I'm now part of the proud fazer owners club and also a proud member of this forum!!

So far can't fault the bike. My first bike (and big bike) so i need to ease into the wonderful world of biking.

Have been looking for a decent bike for a reasonable price for around 4-6months now, and can finally say i have one.

I picked it up private with 6669miles on the clock, part service history and some MOTs.

The bike is currently 'bland' in the sense it has no added extras, so hoping you guys can point me in the right direction to get some little add-ons.

I'm looking to deffinately get some Crash bobbins, and have got my eye on two types

- R&G Classic
- R&G Aero

Has anyone had experience with either of these and what would you guys (and girls) reccomend? i like the look of the aero, but not sure if they stick out far enough?? :S theres not much difference in price so not too fussed, which ever works best.

I'm also looking to get a

- Tank Protector (seen on ebay for around £8...recommended??)
- Fender Extender
- Belly pan

If anyone knows where i can pick up any of the above for a decent price that works well, I'm all ears and very grateful ;):thumbup:

Now for the pics..... :D

View attachment 47522

View attachment 47523

View attachment 47524

View attachment 47525

Sincerely Sterling :rockon: :uk:

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good - I'm still waiting on mine to get finished off by the dealer!

eBay is your friend for cosmetics, I bagged a bellypan for £35 which came today, so just keep your eyes open.

Yes, I have a belly pan and don't have a bike to go with it yet.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

sterling fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good - I'm still waiting on mine to get finished off by the dealer!

eBay is your friend for cosmetics, I bagged a bellypan for £35 which came today, so just keep your eyes open.

Yes, I have a belly pan and don't have a bike to go with it yet.

haha, I wasnt far from you, i had my full waterproofs, boots and two bike locks before i had the bike! :D

was your belly pan second hand?

Any news on when you'll be on the road?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, Sterling!

The frame sliders (crash bobbins).. doesn't really matter much what the brand is. The length does matter. I have no personal experience with this, but have read more than once that excessively long ones are not a good idea. The longer they are the more leverage they will put on bolts, in a crash, increasing likelihood of cracking the frame.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

As for tank protectors, they make those grip guards but they don't really do much. IMHO, the best thing you can do is put clear 3M Scotchguard over all portions of the tank prone to contact with your body or future tankbag.

Scotchguard is cheap and invisible and protects from scratches and nicks and provides grip for your knees and stomach contact with the tank. I even put it on the headlights and the leading edges of the front fairings to protect from stone chips when on the freeways, not one mark on my bike at 20,000 miles!

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Sterling, welcome from another UK member,

BTW that is the S1 model, the UK S1 and S2 are same as US i belive but i think yours is a late register on the 07 plate so must have been sitting in a dealers show room for a year or two before being registered.

but the S1 is better anyway, im on my second S1 :p

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Sterling, welcome from another UK member,

BTW that is the S1 model, the UK S1 and S2 are same as US i belive but i think yours is a late register on the 07 plate so must have been sitting in a dealers show room for a year or two before being registered.

but the S1 is better anyway, im on my second S1 :p

So the European models (S1 and S2) do indeed change over like the US models being the 2007 has the updated swingarm, updated 4 pot ft brakes, different dash, etc?

For the Op, it does indeed make a difference (somewhat) when ordering parts as there are quite a few differences.

I find it somewhat difficult to believe its titled as an 07 when it certainly is not...

Sitting in a showroom shouldn't change the year of the bike, Yamaha, when the bike is built, designates the year of the bike.

Again for the op, can you check your title for the year? Just curious..

There's also a specific digit in the VIN# that specify's the year of the machine (a search, or someone may chime in and advise).

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum Sterling Fz6, have fun but ride safely :thumbup:

........ I find it somewhat difficult to believe its titled as an 07 when it certainly is not...

Sitting in a showroom shouldn't change the year of the bike, Yamaha, when the bike is built, designates the year of the bike.

Again for the op, can you check your title for the year? Just curious..

Scott over here in Holland it's generally dated when it's first registered as a new bike. As Kingy says this could mean it was sold in 2007 from a dealer (and registered by its first owner). When I was looking around for my new bike (back in 2007) there were still several S models being sold at the dealers.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum Sterling Fz6, have fun but ride safely :thumbup:

Scott over here in Holland it's generally dated when it's first registered as a new bike. As Kingy says this could mean it was sold in 2007 from a dealer (and registered by its first owner). When I was looking around for my new bike (back in 2007) there were still several S models being sold at the dealers.

Wow, that's messed up.

Yes, its still a new bike, but buying parts later down the road, fluid changes, etc, that's going to be a nightmare!

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea as Cloggy said same here, bike reg is numbered on when the bike is registered, you could have a 1990 bike sit in a show room for 20 years, be registered in 2010 and the reg would show a 10 plate lol

They do indeed change, the S2 as you mention has new swing arm, clocks, with all the other changes.

So PO deffo has S1 but due to registration will show as an S2 2007. Note to OP when ordering parts when you options such as Yamaha FZ6 04-06 or Yamaha FZ6 07-09

Choose the 04-07 that will be the correct model for your bike this should help clear things up when buying parts :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea as Cloggy said same here, bike reg is numbered on when the bike is registered, you could have a 1990 bike sit in a show room for 20 years, be registered in 2010 and the reg would show a 10 plate lol

They do indeed change, the S2 as you mention has new swing arm, clocks, with all the other changes.

So PO deffo has S1 but due to registration will show as an S2 2007. Note to OP when ordering parts when you options such as Yamaha FZ6 04-06 or Yamaha FZ6 07-09

Choose the 04-07 that will be the correct model for your bike this should help clear things up when buying parts :)

Un-real..

If you go out intentionally to buy the absolute latest and greatest, up to date, you may get a brand new, old model... Guess you have to do your homework..

And as for parts, it'd be for the 04-06 model (not thru 07, I assume a typo?) correct?

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea sorry my fault the second one was a typo it was 04-06.

Yea could get sold anything with a different plate.

Things that make it hard like sports bikes, for example the GSXR through K6 and K7 had some changes but not a complete revamp so you might have though you was getting K7 but getting a K6 with a new number plate if you didn't do your home work on what you was buying!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on your ride. its very neat and well kept.

unfortunatly, as other have duly pointed out, that's not an 07 model. at best its an 05, because it has the silver frame which came in 04-05 model years, so that makes it an s1 model just like mine:D. the 06 use the same hardware etc as the 04-05 but have black frame and engines.

just so you havent noticed, your bike has abs, so if you ever decide to order brake lines in the future, be sure to check they are 04-06 and abs compatible.

as for other parts do make sure to tick the 04-06 option especially for windscreens etc, as the 07 on are smaller and totally different shape.

troll ebay for parts and check before you buy/bid as prices vary

enjoy the ride its an awesome bike.

townsends- do you keep the scotchguard permamently on the bike or do you remove it? i usually stick cling film to the tank when i want to install the tank bag