A new way to light up my license plate!

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
So after I installed the Two Brothers fender eliminator, I was disappointed with the amount of light that the LED license plate lights put out, though I liked the FE too much to switch back to the old light. Soooo, I started thinking and created a prototype of an acrylic light spreader. I couldn't find anything like it really, so I figured I might as well make one to my liking.

Here's the light output of the normal LED lights (further lit by the brakelight bouncing off my garage door:
photo2tsy.jpg

First, I had to measure and cut some acrylic. After creating the holes for the lights, I sanded the edges and corners to make it nice and clean.
photo1hpw.jpg

Here's the semifinal product.
photo3vf.jpg

I will have to put a spacer of some sort under the top of the plate for the perfect angle and fasten the bottom of the plate with a couple screws or clips. Then, I might coat or wrap the edges with something, though I like that lit effect on the sides. The plastic may need a light coating or layer to reflect the light better, too. I still have some work to do. :D

What do you guys think?

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm more concerned with getting pulled over because plate is not lit up properly. :thumbup:

Did you ever get pulled over for that ? If not, why bother with it ? :) (if it happens to you every week, that's another issue).

From a mod point of view, it's nicely done. But personally i wouldn't bother with putting my plate MORE out there then i need to :p

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great.

Down here in Oz, it's illegal to place acrylic/perspex over the number plate... Cops will book you for it... Something about reducing the effectiveness of photographic speed cameras.

:rockon:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great.

Down here in Oz, it's illegal to place acrylic/perspex over the number plate... Cops will book you for it... Something about reducing the effectiveness of photographic speed cameras.

Source?

As far as I know, and as they're commercially available with the appropriate certifications, I believe this is inaccurate.

You are not allowed to use one that modifies the image, like one of the convex ones that look like a magnifying glass or otherwise obscures the image.

A clear plastic cover is fine.

Cheers,
Rick

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
Did you ever get pulled over for that ? If not, why bother with it ? :) (if it happens to you every week, that's another issue).

From a mod point of view, it's nicely done. But personally i wouldn't bother with putting my plate MORE out there then i need to :p

You're probably right, but here is our State Law:

SECTION 56-5-4530. Illumination of rear registration plate. [SC ST SEC 56-5-4530]

Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting point about the white light...My plate is mounted on a bracket beside the chain guard, and is lit by a blue LED (bought it that way). I like the looks of it, and have been pulled over in daylight, but the cop must not have noticed then or was cutting me a break for not running. It also passed inspection...maybe it's just different state laws here in PA?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So after I installed the Two Brothers fender eliminator, I was disappointed with the amount of light that the LED license plate lights put out, though I liked the FE too much to switch back to the old light. Soooo, I started thinking and created a prototype of an acrylic light spreader. I couldn't find anything like it really, so I figured I might as well make one to my liking.

Here's the light output of the normal LED lights (further lit by the brakelight bouncing off my garage door:
photo2tsy.jpg

First, I had to measure and cut some acrylic. After creating the holes for the lights, I sanded the edges and corners to make it nice and clean.
photo1hpw.jpg

Here's the semifinal product.
photo3vf.jpg

I will have to put a spacer of some sort under the top of the plate for the perfect angle and fasten the bottom of the plate with a couple screws or clips. Then, I might coat or wrap the edges with something, though I like that lit effect on the sides. The plastic may need a light coating or layer to reflect the light better, too. I still have some work to do. :D

What do you guys think?

Nice job:thumbup:,
I was very pleased that my number plate light was working well when my rear light blew.
Looks great.

It is illegal to cover the plate with anything here in Holland (you can read it in artikel 7 paragraph 8C here In Dutch )

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting point about the white light...My plate is mounted on a bracket beside the chain guard, and is lit by a blue LED (bought it that way). I like the looks of it, and have been pulled over in daylight, but the cop must not have noticed then or was cutting me a break for not running. It also passed inspection...maybe it's just different state laws here in PA?

If it's blue, you just got it inspected by someone who didn't care. Blue lights are a no-go in every state I know of, unless you have a badge (or are a FF or EMT in some states).

I got pulled over in my truck for those tag lights. In broad daylight. :rolleyes: I had to turn my lights back on, ask the cop to go take a look, then ask him to look again, and this time look closely at the bolts. Silly DUI fisherman, that's what you do Friday or Saturday night, not the middle of the day on Sunday! :Flip: