675R vs ZX6R vs GSXR 750

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Went thru a similar process a little over a year ago. Thought long and hard about the 675, very sweet bike but what tipped me away was long term parts and reliability. I put 44,000 or so on my FZ6 in 4 years so wanted a SS that would last. Bought a 2012 CBR600RR and have not regretted it at all. Best ergo's of any of the 600's from what I've read. Replaced the clipon's with Heil's which raised the hands almost 2", not much but made a real difference - probably older than most of the folks on this forum. Did not get ABS but will if I buy again.

When looking at used bikes there are lots of Suzuki's out there with high mileage which says something about the bikes and their riders - they are ridden a lot and they last.

Whichever you pick it will be a big change from the perspective of the brakes and the suspension but the power is not a lot different. Today I would have to think about the 750 but not interested in a 1,000. Well maybe I could be tempted with a BMW S....

Yea, should be quite a change. For now I'm planning on hanging onto the FZ6. It will definitely be better for going on long rides. If it winds up getting neglected then I'll probably sell it.

Is it monday yet? Blah

Haha yea, I've asked that a couple times in the last 24 hours. :D

I JET

Reaction score
Visit site
Each to their own..follow your heart. For that money I would chose the GSXR. Perfect size for the road. Put a nice exhaust on it and a quick shifter. That should be enough to keep you entertained. And still a huge step up from the FZ

EDIT: I have ridden the Triumph 675R. I nice bike to look at and they have proved them selves on the track but man it was very harsh over bumps. I know one of the local Triumph race teams would swap out the standard rear spring for a softer one. If money isn't a problem you should ride all three of them before you make your decision.

Last edited:

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Each to their own..follow your heart. For that money I would chose the GSXR. Perfect size for the road. Put a nice exhaust on it and a quick shifter. That should be enough to keep you entertained. And still a huge step up from the FZ

EDIT: I have ridden the Triumph 675R. I nice bike to look at and they have proved them selves on the track but man it was very harsh over bumps. I know one of the local Triumph race teams would swap out the standard rear spring for a softer one. If money isn't a problem you should ride all three of them before you make your decision.

Yea, it is a bit rough on bumps. I didn't realize race teams softened the suspension.

Well, after months of deliberations and checking out said bikes, I went with the British. Not to mention the GSXR guy sold the bike before the dealer even got the Triumphs in.

Have logged about 300 miles on the bike and I love it. It has taken some getting used to. So far my bikes have been 07 FZ6 and 09 FZ6. The riding position change is pretty significant. Still breaking it in, so haven't rung out the gears, but even while keeping the RPMs down, that triple sounds really nice! :D I have yet to play with adjusting the suspension, might try to mess around with that this next weekend.

I only have two complaints so far. One is that the right mirror was loose. There are two set screws at the base and one wasn't tightened down all the way. I tried to tighten it, but turning the nut just backed out the bolt. it looks like the receiving end is stripped, so I'm going to take the whole thing off and try putting it back together. If that doesn't work, the bike has a two year warranty and will just take it in. The other complaint is something I'll just have to get used to. When you shut the bike off, turning the key all the way to the left turns "parking lights" on. I'm not exactly sure why I would ever use this feature, but I wish they would've put it before the fully off position. Kinda minor I guess, I just would've done it differently.

wROhQ5r.jpg

lo6s6Ud.jpg

enwbfcV.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you shut the bike off, turning the key all the way to the left turns "parking lights" on.

I'd love to have a settings for just parking lights (without having to have ignition / fuel pump / radiator fan on). Agree though.. would not want it to be past the "off" position.

Great looking ride :thumbup:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to have a settings for just parking lights (without having to have ignition / fuel pump / radiator fan on). Agree though.. would not want it to be past the "off" position.

Great looking ride :thumbup:

Agree on all accounts - it's a Triumph thing - I had to save a guy at work from killing his battery the first day he rode his STriple in to the office :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree on all accounts - it's a Triumph thing - I had to save a guy at work from killing his battery the first day he rode his STriple in to the office :)

So wait.. you can put it in this "marker lights" position and take the key out??

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
So wait.. you can put it in this "marker lights" position and take the key out??

Yep - key comes out (by design) - steering locked and you get to drain your massive motorcycle battery while you're sitting in the bar having a beer. I've never really understood why anyone would do that (aside from the guys with all the chrome who put LEDs in their frames, but on a Triumph?)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep - key comes out (by design) - steering locked and you get to drain your massive motorcycle battery while you're sitting in the bar having a beer. I've never really understood why anyone would do that (aside from the guys with all the chrome who put LEDs in their frames, but on a Triumph?)

I love that! (provided you never have a senior moment). There are times when I want my bike to be off, but visible.
Being able to take the key out is icing on the cake, if I want to leave the bike for 5 minutes.

Cars allow you to leave hazards on, with key out. Bikes do not (at least none of the ones I've ever owned)

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I never thought of it that way.

Not sure how I forgot to mention my least favorite thing of all, there is no helmet lock! (Unless it is extremely well hidden) I've seen some generic aftermarket kits, which I will likely wind up installing. :rolleyes:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I never thought of it that way.

Not sure how I forgot to mention my least favorite thing of all, there is no helmet lock! (Unless it is extremely well hidden) I've seen some generic aftermarket kits, which I will likely wind up installing. :rolleyes:

Ah.. I was a bit shocked too when I got my FZ1, which has no helmet lock. They're overrated :D
I just use one of these now:

511995794_o.jpg

Attached nicely to passenger peg, on my bike.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to pick one of those up! I don't mind it on base but I don't like having the helmet unsecured out in public.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I made a double on my FZ -

Attach a hose clamp onto the subframe under the seat and cut two small notches (for the D-Ring) into the top lip of the side pods. Unlock the seat, put your D-Ring on the excess of the hose clamp and lay it in the gaps you made in the plastic, put the seat down and lock it - secure enough for me.

(btw - my bike seat lock is no longer secure after I removed the stock exhaust, all you have to do is reach under the seat, avoid the hot exhaust pipe and move the mechanism with your finger, it's what I do instead of fumbling with the keys) But hey - nobody else knows (until now).

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
I was just using a generic bike cable lock and running it through the chin bar on the helmet and the grab rail on my tiger. It Was long enough that I could loop it through the sleeve of my jacket too!.

Not an issue on the wing!! Has helmet locks under the top trunk if the trunk is too full to just put it in there

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was just using a generic bike cable lock and running it through the chin bar on the helmet and the grab rail on my tiger. It Was long enough that I could loop it through the sleeve of my jacket too!.

Not an issue on the wing!! Has helmet locks under the top trunk if the trunk is too full to just put it in there

I do that too when I wanna leave my stuff outside.. loop the capble through all of my gear.. and I use the same lock I posted above, to secure it all to the bike.. so no key required.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I do that too when I wanna leave my stuff outside.. loop the capble through all of my gear.. and I use the same lock I posted above, to secure it all to the bike.. so no key required.

This is what I'm going with for now. I picked up a 4 foot cable lock at Home Depot today. When I go to the store I just wear my jacket inside but if it's some event or something I can run it through the jacket and helmet and somewhere on the bike, haven't tried it out yet though.