3m carbon fiber dinoc = AMAZING

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
It just arrived today. Have to admit, I'm a little surprised. For some reason I got the impression it was hard, and stiff, and changed when subjected to heat. What I got sent was 12"x48" of carbon fiber look (looks amazing) on 3m adhesive pad. Rolled into a tube. Did I get the wrong stuff or what?

Also, I'm debating how to apply this with correct cuts and such. For the heel guards, should I just remove them, trace them on backside with holes and everything? I'm not 100% and don't want to screw it up. I'd ultimately like to do my muffler too, but that's one to do after I'm a little more confident on my cuts and details.

Let me know of any advice! I don't want it to look lame.

Yes you got the right stuff. I guess you figured out how to work with it by now haha. Basically I traced whatever I was covering and cut about a half inch around it everywhere to wrap over the edges. Then I poked a little hole where ever there was a hole on the rearsets and used a blow dryer to mold in down in the groove. Then used an X-Acto knife (razor) to shave of the extra and trim up holes.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I cheaped out and got this:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BTBI4W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00]Amazon.com: Black Metro 3D Flexible Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap Film 48"x12"[/ame]

Mostly just to practice with. I'll post how some pics in a few days when it arrives and I cover a few parts.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I received mine yesterday but so far only had time to make a pick guard for one of my guitars.

7883374612_77edaba65b.jpg

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
What do you guys think of doing this inside of the headlight housing? When I convert to projectors I was thinking of wrapping the old reflector with this instead of just painting it black. Do you think it would withstand the heat generated from the projectors?

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
What do you guys think of doing this inside of the headlight housing? When I convert to projectors I was thinking of wrapping the old reflector with this instead of just painting it black. Do you think it would withstand the heat generated from the projectors?

I'm not really familiar with projectors or how much heat they produce. But I would expect since they dont melt the headlight lens you'd probably be okay. I have my stock exhaust COVER wrapped and have no issues. I can't imagine headlights producing more heat than an exhaust. If you did it, i think it would look sick! Definitely post pics. It would take some time with the corners and a blow dryer, but def has potential.
:rockon:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not really familiar with projectors or how much heat they produce. But I would expect since they dont melt the headlight lens you'd probably be okay. I have my stock exhaust COVER wrapped and have no issues. I can't imagine headlights producing more heat than an exhaust. If you did it, i think it would look sick! Definitely post pics. It would take some time with the corners and a blow dryer, but def has potential.
:rockon:
I'd probably just waste a bit of it and wrap it most of the way around, I think that would make the corners a bit easier. When I get around to it, I'll let you know! I've been trying to find a cheap pair of headlights (maybe from someone who has done an naked conversion? ;)) to just tinker around on with different ideas. But for now, unexpected repairs on my car are pushing bike mods down on the calendar. :(

Royaltool88

Reaction score
Visit site
Finished up all the CF projects today. Most of it was pretty easy and learned some tricks along the way. I still have a good amount of the stuff left over too. Having a good hairdryer is a definite plus, good thing my roommates girlfriend is a hair stylist and has one that gets HOTT! Not sure how the pics turned out so sorry if their a little big.

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Finished up all the CF projects today. Most of it was pretty easy and learned some tricks along the way. I still have a good amount of the stuff left over too. Having a good hairdryer is a definite plus, good thing my roommates girlfriend is a hair stylist and has one that gets HOTT! Not sure how the pics turned out so sorry if their a little big.

I like what you did on the fairing. I'd love to do that but worry about getting it to look smooth and getting it as nice as you did would be difficult.

Mud

Royaltool88

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Mud. It really wasn't that difficult, and its actually kind of hard to get air bubbles under it. It pretty much smooths itself out. No clue why, just goes on real easy. The hardest parts were defiantly the front fairings, on the top edge where it gets flat and also curves around...lay it, heat it, stretch, lay it, peel it off, heat it, mess it up, get pissed and do it over again lol. The muffler was kind of a pain as well right in the middle top part, but I just decided not to do it as you cant see it when installed anyway. As long as you have a hairdryer, a tool with a smooth curve for tight spots, exacto knife, and alot of patients I'm sure it'll work for you. :thumbup: