2nd gear knocking in small rev range, any ideas?

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I searched around and couldn't find any information directly related to a problem I've got with my new FZ6, however I might be wrong so I apologise if this is a repeat thread.

The engine makes a knocking sound in 2nd gear whilst accelerating between 4 and 5k revs. Speed of the knock is about 1.5 a second and stays very consistent in it's speed but only lasts for a few seconds until the revs are above 5 thousand.

I'm not very mechanically minded so any advice as to what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
How many miles are on the bike? How many miles are on the chain and sprockets?

My first guess would be a kinked chain.... what sort of condition is the chain in? Any rust, or stiff links?

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
27,000 miles on the bike. Unknown mileage on the C&S but the wear on them is minimal from memory. I'll go and take a look at the chain now.

Thanks very much.

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi again,

You're absolutely right, there are a couple of slight kinks in the chain, I gave them some pressure and the links won't straighten out at all.

Can this by fixed with a thorough clean and re-lube or will it need to be replaced?

I really appreciate the help, thanks!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
might be time for a change i'd say

better to spend a little now, or risk your chain snapping and ripping your gearbox/leg/swingarm to bits

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
That's fine. I'll get it done.

Thanks all!

If the chain is bad, odds are good the sprockets have seen better days, as well. Wear on a sprocket is pretty subtle... but it will chew up the replacement chain at an accelerated rate compared to a new set of sprockets.

Better to swap out the front and rear sprocket as well as the chain as a set.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In addition, if the chain is that worn the chances are that the "O" rings are also done and wouldn't hold the internal lube.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
might be time for a change i'd say

better to spend a little now, or risk your chain snapping and ripping your gearbox/leg/swingarm to bits

I was just reading someone had a chain snap and it jammed up the rear wheel and the bike high sided.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I was just reading someone had a chain snap and it jammed up the rear wheel and the bike high sided.

would a front sprocket cover like this protect your engine case and leg.....?
i've seen dirt bikes that have them in case the chain snaps. i'm not sure how effective something like this would be, though.....

01-048-0112-01-lg.jpg

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site

i saw oine guy on another forum have his gearbox completely destroyed when his chain snapped at highway speeds, luckily he didn't come off

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
would a front sprocket cover like this protect your engine case and leg.....?
i've seen dirt bikes that have them in case the chain snaps. i'm not sure how effective something like this would be, though.....

01-048-0112-01-lg.jpg

When a chain snaps, and wads up in front of the front sprocket.... that's when it punches a hole in the cases.