2008 fz6 lags on take off when temp gauge 210f ?

cspan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I was hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2008 fz6 with scorpion exhaust and air box mod with kn filter. I also have a pc-v . The bike seems to run strong to me but sometimes when it is hot out and I get stuck at a red light temp gauge around the 210-215f. The bike takes off really slow (lags) until i get to about 2500 - 3500rpm ?? After that everything seems to be normal ?? What would cause that ??

Thanks for the help in advance !
Chad

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One has to wonder about the tune. You might post up the map being ran as it could reveal a lean condition which at temp may cause the hesitation.
Are you saying its fine otherwise, at cooler engine temps?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Randy. You'll generally want to be a bit rich when down in the RPMs to help avoid hesitation. If that map you're running subtracted fuel from the low throttle position and low RPM areas, you will see some hesitation when hot.

All of that said, it gets hot up here in the windy city during the summer and I've never had hesitation problems.

cspan

Reaction score
Visit site
Well don't laugh but I'm running one of marthy's maps for the fz6r its the adv gear b. not sure how to post the actually map. The butt dyno feels good also comparing it to the maps available on the power commander website its seems more so on the rich side ??

cspan

Reaction score
Visit site
To answer your question Finalimpact the bike seems to run very strong !! I believe there is now negative numbers at all in the map ? I could be wrong but I was always told that rich was safe to a point and lean could get bad fast ?? HAHA

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to zip it and then upload. There is a thread on the topic.
But ya, lean can seem ok, but lower AFRs can make better power.

EDIT: 6 vs 6R - just doesn't seem like a good idea.

So, did you edit/modify this map before throwing it at the older Fizzer? Although the displacement is the same, the piggy back nature of the DJ could yield some very unexpected results when swapping ECU families.

Marthy's has plenty of mods, but that doesn't say anything about the base line ECU output of 6 vs the 6R. I can't imagine the fueling is near optimal for your bike especially if it wasn't modified. Peak Tq and HP occur at different RPMs and IIRC that engine doesn't twist as tight so unless you added fuel at 12K to 14.5 your could be in trouble there too. I'd be looking at different map and there enough out there.

Did you set the TPS idle voltage and WOT points in the software?
Anything else done to the bike mod wise?

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes dude... Why would you ever put a map for a different bike into the system? While the FZ6 and FZ6R share most of the same mechanical parts, there's enough of a difference to the point where the 6R only puts out around 70HP, and the Z6 97 or so. It's kind of like mixing some diesel into your car's regular gas mix and then wondering why it doesn't run so well anymore.

You oughta put a proper FZ6 designated map in there.

cspan

Reaction score
Visit site
Well sugar.... I better go change it you guys are scaring me. I guess it's time to put some ot in. So I can just got get it done right, I have been to cheap to go get it tuned. Plus the wife is getting mad at me for all the money i'm spending on it !!

Thanks again for the help !!!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well sugar.... I better go change it you guys are scaring me. I guess it's time to put some ot in. So I can just got get it done right, I have been to cheap to go get it tuned. Plus the wife is getting mad at me for all the money i'm spending on it !!

Thanks again for the help !!!

Hint - lift the tank and simply connect the ECU directly to the injectors (leave everything else alone) and/or load a zero map. Either should verify the MAP as the root cause.

These don't seem to "lag" if everything is OK!

cspan

Reaction score
Visit site
FinalImpact check that map out its on marthy motorcycle exhaust solutions. The map over all runs very strong (Viper advgear revB) !! I just have a issue with it when the bike gets hot. For example stuck at a long red light. I said it lags but I should have said it hesitates. I'm thinking of adding fuel to the 500-1500 rpm 0,2,5 % throttle.

Last edited: