2006 FZ6 vs 2008 SV650 sideXside review..

Evil_Knievel

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, First the bikes... Both bikes are stock, brand new from the factory..The Suzuki (zuki) is silver with the sports flairing package...The Yamaha which we will refer to as the "Hammer" :D cobalt blue with the upper flairing... Both bikes are fresh out of break in, and ready to ride.

Now for the road, We picked two places to "test" the bikes at... First, a 5/6 mile stretch of deep east Texas wilderness 2 lane back road with loads of twisty's and a fair amount of straights.. For the top speed challenge we opted for the mile long bridge that dubs as the local drag spot..

The suzuki defiantly looks the part.. It more closely represents the race bike, in both seat position and peg location... However the hammer makes for a more comfortable upright position with slightly lower peg's and taller/wider handle bars..<<<< A definate advantage in control>>>>>> For parking lot maneuvers.. You can really man handle it with plenty of leverage through the bars and a nice tight turning radius... The zuki is harder to park with it's wider turning radius + The narrow bars make for less leverage making it more work to hold the bike up..
+1 Hammer

On the twisty's the zuki's hard to hang with... The V twin makes for more torque pulling the bike more effectively through the bends.. The hammer stays close but the zuki's got the edge until the straight away's... Now this is were I was surprised, The hammer comes alive from 5 g's to 10... From 10,000 rpm to 12 this thing is SCREAMING!!!! Get the bike up out of the corner and from 3rd gear on it's all Yamaha, I mean ALL!!!!
+1 both bikes, it's to close to tell yet..

Now the high speed challenge... Again the zuki's V twin offers more torque pulling the bike to a 100 Mph slightly faster maybe 1 link faster than the hammer.. But the Yamaha over compensates with extremely high rev's and starts to take off after 100.. The zuki tops out at an indicated 140 mph with nothing left... The hammer will reach 152 mph's with a little more left, but it has a hard time compensating for wind drag and is probably not suited well for speeds as such...From 120 on the Yamaha steadily pulls on the zuki, at the end of the bridge it was probably 150+ feet ahead of the Suzuki:eek:
+5 Yamaha:D
We alternated bikes and both come to the same conclusion.......

The Suzuki offers great street power faster corner speeds and looks faster..
The Yamaha is way more bike on the power end, and has a more rider friendly seating position.. Both make great bikes But the yamaha's faster:rockon:.. You see which one I ride :) :Sport:

Evil_Knievel

Reaction score
Visit site
I live near Tyler.... I would also like to add, the Yamaha is a little more radical feeling... It's a constant struggle between wheel speed and wheelie, and I have found a nice low wheelie through 3rd and the bike cant go faster without looping..And yet still the torque wins out with the Suzuki which is a more stable platform <<<<<< Means slower>>>>>>>:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info....I found the SV's "fun factor" to be slightly higher when just playing around on the street but I'll take the FZ6 everywhere else. Both are awesome bikes.

Evil_Knievel

Reaction score
Visit site
Pics of the bikes.... The Yamaha is un-molested, While the Suzuki has had an eliminator kit installed... And blinkers shaved (looks clean I must say)...:Sport:

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
The one thing I don't like about the SV650S is the same thing I don't like about the R6S - the HUGE exhaust can!

John