2004 FZ6 - should I stay away?

mfletch69

Reaction score
www.fletchersales.com
I tour on an FJR1300 and am thinking of picking up a used FZ6 for my son to ride. I have been reading everything I can find and I understand there was some issue with the fuel injection. One reviewer said "there remains a bad stumble coming off of closed throttle that made for some less-than-smooth corner exits"

It looks like they made adjustments in later years. Anyway, the question for you that know is....do I stay away from the 2004 models? Is the newer version better for a 4000 mile ride?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
mine's a 2006, and so has the older fueling, i think it's something you get used to fairly quickly, and if anything will teach good clutch control :)

i think there might have been a recall on the throttle position body, so make sure that's been done

PipBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '09 and it's still pretty jerky coming off a closed throttle. I've gotten pretty used to it already and I'm a new rider. About 2000 miles experience and counting

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I tour on an FJR1300 and am thinking of picking up a used FZ6 for my son to ride. I have been reading everything I can find and I understand there was some issue with the fuel injection. One reviewer said "there remains a bad stumble coming off of closed throttle that made for some less-than-smooth corner exits"

It looks like they made adjustments in later years. Anyway, the question for you that know is....do I stay away from the 2004 models? Is the newer version better for a 4000 mile ride?

I think that's harsh. I prefer my 07 to the 04 I had; yes it's been improved, but the older bikes are fine.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
My 2004 FZ6 (which I bought new) became noticeably smoother off-throttle after they replaced my TPS via the factory recall.

There was some thought that Yamaha may have changed the taper/ramp of the TPS, but whatever the reason, my 2004 works nicely now. :)

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
I've had 20K very pleasurable miles on my 2004.:thumbup: I'm not sure the TPS recall helped mine that much, but it sure didn't hurt. I'd worry more about condition and care, rather than model year. I actually prefer the silver metal treatment of the older models.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
How old is your son? How mature is he? And how much experience does he have?

I know this bike is marketed like a good starter because it's nice and calm in the lower RPMs, but I don't suggest it as a learner bike.
As soon as he gets 7000RPM the bike is in SS mode.

I have a 2005, and don't notice any stumble coming off idle. I agree it has a short clutch threshold, but as far as throttle inputs, I never notice an issue.

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
I'm with him on this one, how mature is he?

I know the FZ6 is talked up sometimes as a good starter bike because of the mellow low end. That's the whole reason I got mine. However, as a beginner rider who is starting on the FZ6, I got to say I wish I would have started on a 250... I wrecked mine the first week because of an RV coming over on top of me.

If he's starting out, grab a 250 and let him bang out the thing until he gets a few thousand miles under him. Then trade him up. The resale on 250s are really good.

I don't know much about the 04s, but I have an 06 and I LOVE that bike.

mfletch69

Reaction score
www.fletchersales.com

I know the FZ6 is talked up sometimes as a good starter bike because of the mellow low end. That's the whole reason I got mine. However, as a beginner rider who is starting on the FZ6, I got to say I wish I would have started on a 250... I wrecked mine the first week because of an RV coming over on top of me.

If he's starting out, grab a 250 and let him bang out the thing until he gets a few thousand miles under him. Then trade him up. The resale on 250s are really good.

No doubt a good point. We had a 250 ninja for my two sons to learn on. Sold it a few months ago. I think the FZ6 is the next logical step.

mfletch69

Reaction score
www.fletchersales.com

No doubt a good point. We had a 250 ninja for my two sons to learn on. Sold it a few months ago. I think the FZ6 is the next logical step.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
mine's a 2006, and so has the older fueling, i think it's something you get used to fairly quickly, and if anything will teach good clutch control :)

i think there might have been a recall on the throttle position body, so make sure that's been done

I agree with Greg. Also an aftermarket seat would be a good idea before going on a 4000 mile ride...otherwise your son will suffer from a bad case of soreassitis:( (I know one thing...when his riding skills develop to the level of yours, you'll have a hard time leaving him in the dust, no matter how hard you crank the throttle!!) :D

Seriously tho..the FZ6, including the 04, is a solidly reliable bike.

Last edited:

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have 31.000km on my '04 fz6 now, without any problems.
Great bike. Forgiving in lower RPM, sportive in Midrange and a rocket in High RPM.

With the right attitude, knowledge of bike-handling and possible dangers on the road, your son is set for a long time of Fizzing. He is is going to have a BLAST with this bike. (I know I am)
:rockon::thumbup:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Moved up from a Ninja 250 to a 2004 FZ6 a couple of years ago. It was a big change in power but if the power is respected and learned it's not a problem. Yes it will lift the front wheel in first but is well behaved. The throttle is jerky particularly in first and after the throttle has been completely closed. A little practice with throttle control and avoiding completely closing it at low speed - ride smooth and it will be fine. Ride like a beginner and it will make you look like one. Some time in a parking lot should help. My 2004 has 18,000 miles on it and has had the gps recall, the drive nut recall, head bearings replaced, timing chain replaced, Michilin Road 2's, swing arm pivot bearing cleaned and lubes and just this week put FZ1 bars on. Road over 200 miles today and they are GREAT. At low speed there can be a tendency to put more weight on the wrists but on the interstate it is not a problem.

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site

I think we are reading the same reviews. I too am contemplating an 04 and am reading as much as I can about them too. I almost have my heart already set on purchasing the used one we found, however the "upgrades" of the 2007 model cannot be ignored.