1st Time doing a track day

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
This is my 1st Track Day. Took the Fz-6 to Summit Point Motorsports Park in WV.

1st lap following the Control Rider, then on my own after that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuEf2Jp4RyM&feature=plcp]1st track day at Summit Point - YouTube[/ame]

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
prepare yourself for a new obsession...what kind of tires did you run?

...and an expensive one! Stock front tire and Dunlop Sportmax Q2 in the rear. The front forks are definitely too soft, lots of dive when braking hard. I also got a little bit of head shake when first getting off the throtle and onto the brakes, specially above 90 mph. Not sure if it was because of the stock front tires, front suspension, or both.

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
...and an expensive one! Stock front tire and Dunlop Sportmax Q2 in the rear. The front forks are definitely too soft, lots of dive when braking hard. I also got a little bit of head shake when first getting off the throtle and onto the brakes, specially above 90 mph. Not sure if it was because of the stock front tires, front suspension, or both.

I've been doing trackdays for quite a while now...by my estimate a trackday weekend (2 days of riding) costs about $500 for everything...gas(truck and bike), food/drinks, trackday fees, tires...

I just picked up a 09 FZ6 for some, what I call, twisties touring...basically 400+ mile day rides starting and ending at my residence...and multi-day touring trips...

In my opinion the FZ6 is perfectly suitable for beginner and intermediate trackday riding...you should be ok with your current setup for the first half a dozen trackdays...after that you are going to want to seriously consider upgrading your front suspension with race tech emulators + springs and running trackday tires...

after a couple years of track experience the FZ6 will still be applicable but you'll probably want to raise the pegs in some manner as you'll need as much lean angle clearance as possible....but at that point you may just want to consider a track only bike...

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I will be going down to Summit Point at the end of this month, hopefully...as long as I get this wiring issue fix for the trailer lights.
What can you tell me about the course?

Last edited:

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
I will be going down to Summit Point at the end of this month, hopefully...as long as I get this wiring issue fix for the trailer lights.
What can you tell me about the course?

Hey sorry it took me a while to reply. Did you make it to Summit Point yet? Let me know what you thought.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Been awhile since I've been to Summit Point. I won my very first race there in the rain in 1985, so yeah, I've been doing it awhile.

You can do it on the cheap, relatively speaking. Using your street bike is a start. I've seen many customers ride in to do their first or second track day. As you pick up speed and the desire to go faster, is where you'll need to step up to the cash register. Or, crashing which is always a risk. It all depends on what your goals are, but TD's will definitely make you a much better (and safer) street rider.

Thanks for sharing the video!

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey sorry it took me a while to reply. Did you make it to Summit Point yet? Let me know what you thought.

My first attempt to go was stopped by that annoying storm...Then my attempt to go the next date was put to a stop cause of some family stuff.(all is well) So, I didn't get to go this season, but they did hold a credit for a course day in my name. So I will be set up for the beginning of this next season.

I will share my experience with you as soon as I have it. Oh, I do have a trailer able to hold 3 bike securely. I am in for making a day out of it if you wanted someone to go to the track with.