1st Oil Change – Recommendations?

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m approaching a 1,000+ trip to California in a few weeks as well as my first oil change as the new owner of my machine. Not to start another oil debate, but for some reason searching for previous oil related threads pulls back too much off topic conversations and I’m still not finding what I need.

I live in Oregon, the temperatures are not ridiculous, but this oil will take me into summer where I’m expecting temps in the 70’s – 80’s most of the time. Previously, in my old R6, I ran 10w-30 Motul full synthetic, but I’m reading our bikes can take anything from a non synthetic car oil to fully synthetic expensive oil.

I’d like some recommendations to ensure I’m putting quality oil in my machine while not busting the bank.

Do I go synthetic?
K+N Filter – Check!

Thanks-

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
If you where happy with what you ran in your R6 why not stick with it? It's not like there any real changes between these bikes where lube demands are concerned.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Motul is very high quality.. and very expensive. Mobil motorcycle specific synthetic is right up there too.
Many of us find Rotella T6 (full synthetic) to be a great compromise between price and quality. Lots of people run this oil in their bikes and I've never heard of anyone complaining that it didn't do its job. It's a 5w40.
Manual recommends 10w40 for widest temperature range and if you go with anything other than T6, I'd stick with any 10w40 with JASO MA designation.

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve read about the Rotella T6, full synthetic and it does sound like a nice all around balance.

How many quarts does the FZ drink?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve read about the Rotella T6, full synthetic and it does sound like a nice all around balance.

How many quarts does the FZ drink?

From my experience, full change with filter takes 2.6-2.7 quarts.

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not gonna add to what Erci said, he's right on as far as sticking with the designation and ~10W-40.

As far as the amount, I just dump in all 3 quarts. I change the filter too. Never had a problem. Just too lazy to measure :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not gonna add to what Erci said, he's right on as far as sticking with the designation and ~10W-40.

As far as the amount, I just dump in all 3 quarts. I change the filter too. Never had a problem. Just too lazy to measure :thumbup:

LOL.. I measured the level after putting in 2.75 on my first change and I remember that ended up reading over high mark. I don't want too much oil in there. That can be as bad as not enough, based on all the reading I've done.

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.. I measured the level after putting in 2.75 on my first change and I remember that ended up reading over high mark. I don't want too much oil in there. That can be as bad as not enough, based on all the reading I've done.

Interesting. Thanks.

I check the level and I've been fine, I think the lazyness carries over into being too lazy to wait for all the oil to come out of the bottle haha. I will have to double-check next time though.

Not to :hijack: but what have you heard about too much oil?

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to :hijack: but what have you heard about too much oil?

If oil level reaches bottom of crankshaft it will froth the oil, and oil + air does not lubricate well. A minor overfill in our engines isn't going to do much harm. If an oil/filter change takes 2.6-2.7 qts to bring it to full level is 3 qts too much? I dunno, but I always take a bit of time to get the level to the max level and no more.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I get my oil from Cycle Gear, Castrol comes in liters. So I empty out all 3 liter containers, and it's perfect. No left over.

There has been many posts warning not to use a certain type of synthetic, someting like energy conservant.

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also interested. About to hit the 1k mile mark as well with my bike.

I've never owned a motorcycle, nor changed the oil in one. Any tips on how to tackle it, as well as what type of filter to grab?

Thanks.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
A good summary of oils and filters that will work, if you don't know where to start, or are overwhelmed with info:

Motorcycle Oil and Filters

Shell and SuperTech products can be found at WalMart, the Mobile-1 stuff at AutoZone.

Many don't bother to replace it, as you'll read in the oil threads here,

Oil Threads - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

but the drain plug crush washer can be found at your dealer or ronayers.com, p/n 214-11198-01-00. Order a lifetime supply to offset the shipping charge. Compatible washers can be found elsewhere, too, if you know what to look for -- I didn't :rolleyes: