1st gear 'clunk'

fizzerdave

Reaction score
Visit site
Does any body also get a clunk when shifting into 1st gear? I've had this on other bikes but not as bad. Has anyone tried to adjust the clutch to smooth it out?

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Normal. Ensure idle is set correctly (preferably on the low end). Ensure proper chain tension.

Some say pumping the clutch helps. Some say engaging and holding the clutch helps. (I've had no luck with either)

Because of this clunk, I've adjusted my riding style to minimize 0mph N->1st changes... but that's just me. Nevertheless. It's normal, and it's not breaking anything.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Normal. Ensure idle is set correctly (preferably on the low end). Ensure proper chain tension.

Some say pumping the clutch helps. Some say engaging and holding the clutch helps. (I've had no luck with either)

Because of this clunk, I've adjusted my riding style to minimize 0mph N->1st changes... but that's just me. Nevertheless. It's normal, and it's not breaking anything.
Probably the most concise answer your going to get to this issue. I'm the same and so is my gear box.
Neil

Royaltool88

Reaction score
Visit site
i get the "clunk" too, and from what i hear everyone says its normal. What i do is hold the clutch in N, give it a couple low revs, hold for a few more seconds, and shift into first. I've found this process on my fz lessons the clunk a good bit :thumbup:

fizzerdave

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys!!!

I also noticed that when I have to start the bike in first gear(with clutch disengaged) I notice the bike pulling a little. Like first gear never completely disengages with the clutch in? Is this normal as well?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I also noticed that when I have to start the bike in first gear(with clutch disengaged) I notice the bike pulling a little. Like first gear never completely disengages with the clutch in? Is this normal as well?
Sounds like you need to adjust the clutch cable. If the tension is not correct the clutch will drag.

Neil

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site

I get this slightly while the starter is turning. Once it's idling, the pull feel goes away.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i get the "clunk" too, and from what i hear everyone says its normal. What i do is hold the clutch in N, give it a couple low revs, hold for a few more seconds, and shift into first. I've found this process on my fz lessons the clunk a good bit :thumbup:

+1 on the above and the other posts.

I have a slightly inclined driveway, when leaving, I too hold in the clutch lever a couple of seconds, get it rolling by gravity, then drop it into first (especially when cold and, of course, only on an incline)..

Having the idle set at 1,000 RPM's (personal preference) also helps as gears are spinning slightly slower..

My last FJR did the same, Yamaha trademark....

Last edited:

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, another 'clunker'!

Just changed the oil to Motul 300V and it dramatically lessened. Did a carb ballance and reset the idle to 12 - 1300 and its back with a vengence. Will be dropping back to a thou before next ride.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to start an oil thread, but I went from 5100 Motul to Mobile One, 4t full synthetic. First time using FULL synthetic in a bike..

It doesn't clunk nearly as much, especially with the lower RPM at Idle I've had it set for quite awile...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess you never have to wonder if you are in first, it tells you... and everyone else.

Yup. As I'm coasting up to a stop sign or light, I can tell that I'm properly in first gear, don't have to look down to see the "N" light flash green before she's in first. :thumbup:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike has a multiplate wet clutch meaning it is covered with engine oil. When the clutch is disengaged the plates are separated but the oil between them causes a little drag. If it is put in neutral and the clutch is let out it will spin the transmission. Pulling the clutch in dis-engages the clutch but the transmission is spinning and will continue to spin for a while and selecting first with the transmission spinning causes the clunk. When I start my bike with the transmission in neutral but the clutch dis-engaged, it does not clunk when putting it in first. If I let out on the clutch while in neutral and then dis-engage the clutch and engage first it will clunk.