1986 fz 600 purgatory

James Crispy

Reaction score
Visit site
So yea. It started. It warms up. It idles fine.

Synced the carbs again. Only needed to adjust one slightly to line them all up. Time to take a test ride !!

I am still a bit shocked but off I go.

go_01.jpg

Leaving full fairing off for now because I DO NOT TRUST YET.

James Crispy

Reaction score
Visit site
Right. So.

It was great for about 13k.

Then (maybe not so ironically??) the very first symptom that started all this SH** in the first place is back.

The bike starts to die when idling. If I let drop below 1000 rpm it dies and will not start again until a few hours later / the next day.

Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWOih4QTQp4&feature=youtu.be

What is this problem? When I cleaned the carbs the first time this was gone completely. Halp !

Seems fuel / carb related

:don'tknow::mad::don'tknow:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd start with draining the carbs(should be drain screws on the bowls) and CATCH what comes out (looking for crap).

You already did the sync. How did you adjust the vacuum slides for the sync?.

Are there separate air adjustment screws for the carbs?

****Also, the fuel on / off valve is vacuum operated. IF you have the option, turn it to ON or PRIME. The diaphragm may have broke and the fuel switch isn't allowing fuel to flow (vacuum form the engine isn't allowing the valve to open. :

1986 Yamaha FZ600S Fuel Tank Fz600s T | Babbitts Online

Verify your actually getting enough fuel out of the petc0ck..

The video with no gas tank on, where you an auxiliary tank, gravity feed? That would confirm either that petc0ck bad, vacuum leak to it, etc..

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, crud in the carbs. I think that petc0ck has a filter/screen in it. It probably needs to be cleaned out. Does the tank have rust in it?

If the tank is rusty you'll need to treat it with Caswell or POR, don't bother with Cream.

Lemon juice, of all things, does a great job of clean carbs.

James Crispy

Reaction score
Visit site
Gas tank was totally rusted and I POR 15'd the thing a couple months ago. All fuel lines are new. Cleaned the carbs real good.

I even cleaned and replaced the petc0ck guts.

gas_before.jpg

gas_after.jpg

I'll have a look again into that.

Maybe this is vacuum / fuel related...

Thanks!!

Last edited:

James Crispy

Reaction score
Visit site
sigh

Ok. So here it is. Bike sits for awhile, starts great, runs perfect for 15 - 20 mins then it drops out. Can't hold the idle. If I let it die, it's done. Won't start again until later.

Here's what it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjm2K6KSsfI&feature=youtu.be

Strange thing is, this was the original symptom that caused me to clean the carbs, replace fuel line / vaccum line, seal gas tank, clean petc0ck etc. The first time I did this, it worked great after. This was last month FYI. I don't see what could be different now.

Anyway, it's back.

*shakes head* ugh.

Another step into FZ HELL.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
sigh

Ok. So here it is. Bike sits for awhile, starts great, runs perfect for 15 - 20 mins then it drops out. Can't hold the idle. If I let it die, it's done. Won't start again until later.

Here's what it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjm2K6KSsfI&feature=youtu.be

Strange thing is, this was the original symptom that caused me to clean the carbs, replace fuel line / vaccum line, seal gas tank, clean petc0ck etc. The first time I did this, it worked great after. This was last month FYI. I don't see what could be different now.

Anyway, it's back.

*shakes head* ugh.

Another step into FZ HELL.

Don't know if you've tried this but can you make sure you try it with the fill cap open to eliminate the possibility vacuum impeding fuel flow?

Last edited:

James Crispy

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know if you've tried this but can you make sure you try it with the fill cap open to eliminate the possibility vacuum impeding fuel flow?

One of the earlier times I was stranded on this bike, a fellow biker stopped and told me about this. I tried it then and it worked, for a while.

I tried it again tonight after I shot the vid. No dice.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a fuel issue. Did you/can you hook up an auxilary tank to the carb intake line?

If your fuel valve has a prime setting, can you unhook the hose at the carbs, put the hose in a container and turn the fuel on. Should be a strong steady stream.

Its sounds like its running on just the fuel in the carbs before it stalls (not getting fuel at a sufficient rate).. That's why it take 20 minutes to re-start, slow fuel flow from the tank to fill the carbs..

Prior to that, the idle is rock solid..

James Crispy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a fuel issue. Did you/can you hook up an auxilary tank to the carb intake line?

If your fuel valve has a prime setting, can you unhook the hose at the carbs, put the hose in a container and turn the fuel on. Should be a strong steady stream.

Its sounds like its running on just the fuel in the carbs before it stalls (not getting fuel at a sufficient rate).. That's why it take 20 minutes to re-start, slow fuel flow from the tank to fill the carbs..

Took off the tank and tested the flow from the current fuel line / filter vs. a new fuel line. The new (clear) fuel line seemed to flow better so I installed that one.

filter.jpg

Took a test drive. Early on there was a hint of the problem, but it went away. Did about 20k then sat near my place and let it idle. Took about 5 mins but yes, same story. Died.

Now that the fuel line is clear, I can see that fuel is just not flowing to the carbs after a certain point.

Something must be warming up and messing up the vacuum?

Any ideas? :confused:

James Crispy

Reaction score
Visit site
Parameters.

I think it all comes down to that. It's a 30 year old bike that's been dicked to death. I revived it. I could go further, take the engine out again, re-bore / hone etc etc etc but

at this age, it just has it's ticks: If you idle for more than 5 -10mins after it's already warm, it's going to over heat and shut down.

Took it for multiple rips tonight. It was 100% fine. Just didn't let it idle for long periods. No problems.

Summary:

- It's a classic.

- I LOVE the look of this bike.

- Now that it works, (HAHA !! / F*** you Jon (the guy who sold it to me)) it's super fun to ride!

- It's not a good city bike. All the starts and stops will overheat this thing. I tend to ride later at night when the city is just a big, mostly empty race track.

- A bit fussy on the warm up.

- TERRIBLE gas mileage.

- Once you learn the parameters and respect them, it runs great.

- SOOO glad I made it out of this purgatory alive. Thanks for all your suggestions!! Super helpful.

- Going up for sale, like tomorrow.

:Flash: :Flash:

Any suggestions on what the next much newer bike should be?

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Next Bike should be an 07-09 FZ6.

Damn near bullet proof, relatively cheap to buy. Lots of parts / info available for the bike...A great all around bike.

If your looking for more sport (loosing comfort), an R6 (lay down go fast bike)

My FZ is my favorite bike... I sold my FJR, Goldwing and KLR 250 and am down to just the FZ. The FZ was to just replace my KLR as a beater, didn't quite work out that way.. Aftermarket pipes, some tweaks, love it..

Last edited: