100,000 miles

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Normal Maitenance?

He just said that he just pretty much changed the oil. No valve check, etc. What you should say is that it's impressive without doing normal maintenance. I tend to be bad stretching things out, like 50k miles on plugs, 70k on valves, but I think he's got me beat.

Correction. 100K with ONLY routine maintenance, no scheduled maintenance items. Oil, filter, plugs are routine.

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
Routine is about right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I tend to push things a bit too far sometimes. I just like to see how far, how long, or what every something will last.

Since it made it this far, I will be getting inside the engine to take care of some minor things.

As for my riding, it all depends. Bad day at work and I'm on the throttle all the way home. Weekends I'll keep the revs where I can feel the engine pulling. I rarely look at the tach or speedo.

Gosling1

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, foolish. And I caught hell for it too. Fiancee and daughter got on to me about that.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool. Makes me even more confident in my bike. We hear lots of stories of high mileage bikes, and very very few stories of blown engines.

Congrats!

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Routine is about right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I tend to push things a bit too far sometimes. I just like to see how far, how long, or what every something will last.

Since it made it this far, I will be getting inside the engine to take care of some minor things.

As for my riding, it all depends. Bad day at work and I'm on the throttle all the way home. Weekends I'll keep the revs where I can feel the engine pulling. I rarely look at the tach or speedo.

Nice!

Great to see an old face around too. :thumbup:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
These engines Do seem to be almost bullet-proof. Thanks so much for your info.
As I said on here once before: I have a buddy who worked at two Yamaha dealerships and he told me that he had yet to see an FZ6 that needed a valve adjustment! (This made me feel very good about mine) Safe riding!

Last edited:

Gosling1

Reaction score
Visit site
Just measured the front springs. Everything is still well within spec. I do think it is time to replace the rear shock though.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used ROTELLA since I bought the bike. The only smoking it does is when it starts up. After that I have not noticed any oil consumption at all. I've been changing the oil between 3,000 and 4,000 miles. Occasionally I'll stretch it out to 5,000 miles.

Once I pass this milestone I'm going to get an endoscope from work and check the piston walls.
Any chance you could video that?

Neil

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I love these theads. Myself, being new to bikes, I feel overwhelmed by all of the little things you are supposed to change. If I can get by sometime with just changing the oil and oiling the chain I will be estatic.

Brasscap

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the 100k mile acheivement. I'm also a fan of Shell Rotella oil, I've been using it for many years in several different vehicles and reading your post is encouraging. I past 100k on my BMW but that's not a surprise. My 06 FZ is just a baby compared to yours (2500 mi).