100,000 miles

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
I expect to reach 100,000 miles on my trusty 2006 FZ6 sometime tomorrow evening. I bought it on 22MAY2006 with one mile on the odometer.

I've never been inside the engine. Everything is still original with the exception of the fluids. Even the clutch is original. Nothing special has been done in the past seven years.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I expect to reach 100,000 miles on my trusty 2006 FZ6 sometime tomorrow evening. I bought it on 22MAY2006 with one mile on the odometer.

I've never been inside the engine. Everything is still original with the exception of the fluids. Even the clutch is original. Nothing special has been done in the past seven years.

wow just hit 25kmiles and thought oh man i need plugs shims and thats gonna cost money every day i find another reason to keep this bike :)

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the 100,000 club! Have you been using any specific oil, and is she burning any oil?
My Nighthawk started burning just over that mark. I was anal about oil changes too :(

Gosling1

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used ROTELLA since I bought the bike. The only smoking it does is when it starts up. After that I have not noticed any oil consumption at all. I've been changing the oil between 3,000 and 4,000 miles. Occasionally I'll stretch it out to 5,000 miles.

Once I pass this milestone I'm going to get an endoscope from work and check the piston walls.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Where and the hell have you been? Wondered about you, I'm not too far behind, I'm at 86k and bought my bike brand new in April 2007, so I'm pretty much on the same pace as you are although moving to Boise has kind of slowed me down.

Just curious if you have had similar issues maintenance wise as I had. Leaking fork seal, cam chain tensioner, stretched cam chain. I'm still on my original clutch and front brake pads. I replaced the clutch cable at 70k only because I wanted to, not because I had to.

Last edited:

Gosling1

Reaction score
Visit site
Working and working and riding.

My right front fork seal started weeping a few months ago. The timing chain rattles a bit but not enough to cause me any concern. I still have the original rear brake pads. I think I'm on my third or fourth set of front pads.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
by "havent been in the engine" do you mean you havent checked the valves or changed the plugs at all? :eek:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup:

Congrats on the achievement!

Looking forward to more of your thoughts on wear and maintenance and how we can make ours last that long...if you ever stop riding long enough to post again ;)

Gosling1

Reaction score
Visit site
by "havent been in the engine" do you mean you havent checked the valves or changed the plugs at all? :eek:

I replaced the plugs at about 30,000 miles. No valve check. I wanted to see how long I could go without opening up the engine.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my valves done for the first time around the 73k mark. Made sense to have them done considering my heads were already removed from getting my Cam Chain replaced, along with the guides. Be careful, if you ignore that rattling sound, you crankshaft sensor will grind away causing your bike to seize.

I also had my iridium plugs replaced at the same time after they had gone 50k, replaced the stock at 20k, not because I needed to. Kind of the complete opposites as you, I've gone through several rear sets of brake pads but still on my OEM for the front.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site

Epic. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

"...one mile to go on the odometer."

I'm suddenly reminded of the Married With Children episode where Al, possessing the only Dodge in existence about to pass the 1,000,000 mile mark, sleeps in the car to protect it from any harm (and ensure the brand new Dodge Viper prize is his). Of course he passes out on the column shifter and crashes down the driveway, rolling over the odo and losing the prize.

Couldn't find a clip, but here's a related one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgxbQjgVbM

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Epic. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

"...one mile to go on the odometer."

I'm suddenly reminded of the Married With Children episode where Al, possessing the only Dodge in existence about to pass the 1,000,000 mile mark, sleeps in the car to protect it from any harm (and ensure the brand new Dodge Viper prize is his). Of course he passes out on the column shifter and crashes down the driveway, rolling over the odo and losing the prize.

Couldn't find a clip, but here's a related one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgxbQjgVbM

I applaud your remembrance, in very good detail, of an excellent Married With Children episode :thumbup:

PS, it ends with Al driving the Dodge trying to get to the million mile mark again

Edit: Had to find the episode, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCbmgAOZDsw"]Married With Children S08E18 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Gosling1

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my valves done for the first time around the 73k mark. Made sense to have them done considering my heads were already removed from getting my Cam Chain replaced, along with the guides. Be careful, if you ignore that rattling sound, you crankshaft sensor will grind away causing your bike to seize.

I also had my iridium plugs replaced at the same time after they had gone 50k, replaced the stock at 20k, not because I needed to. Kind of the complete opposites as you, I've gone through several rear sets of brake pads but still on my OEM for the front.

Now that you mention it, once I have the brakes rebuilt on the '80 CB750F SS, I should park the FZ6 and open it up and see what type of wear the timing chain and associated parts look like.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
OP: Just curious what kind of riding style you typically put the bike through? Are you a 5-8K all day kind of rider or do you wring it out from every light?

Either way 100K with only normal maintenance is impressive for any engine, especially a small CC motorcycle.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Either way 100K with only normal maintenance is impressive for any engine, especially a small CC motorcycle.

Normal Maitenance?

He just said that he just pretty much changed the oil. No valve check, etc. What you should say is that it's impressive without doing normal maintenance. I tend to be bad stretching things out, like 50k miles on plugs, 70k on valves, but I think he's got me beat.