1,400 mile Tour: Up and Down Cali, Jan. '09 (PICS!)

blubullit

Reaction score
Visit site
Awsome Nate! I am full of envy. Excellent pics, I especially like the map you whipped up.
I cant wait to see the mountain biking pics from the bay area that you are going to send me, hint hint. :D

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, Nate! Looks like a great trip and some good miles in such a short time. Were many of those miles highway?

Great pictures. I love the ones with the camera on the ground! Great perspective.

-bryan

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
Great ride and great pics.

I've visited California 6 years ago and did a trip by car, I really have to come back and do that again on a bike!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks and sounds like a wonderful trip Nate. CA is a great state for riding, and well, pretty much any other sport for that matter.

The SD area is great for riding. Palamar road, mountain, whatever it is...is a blast. You gotta ride the Rock Store too when in LA, so much cafe racing history has taken place there.

Have you ridden from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz yet? Very fun, very dangerous too.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the, well, "thanks" everyone. Now to answer some questions....

How cool is it to see snow and palm trees on the same ride?

VERY :thumbup: I love Cali and fell in love with it as a young kid

Thanks for the kind words, Nate. It was a pleasure riding with you. Don't forget, we MUST do a trackday together..

I need a cheap track bike because I can't get away with good street tires on the track anymore and I don't want to burn up good track tires on the street touring and commuting

But yeah, summer '09 will be fun

But how and the hell did you ever see over that tank bag?

I'm 6'3" :D and the bag gets even bigger if need be :eek:

Too bad you couldn't come up the coast via Big Sur. I've driven that a few times in the cage, and it's so darn scenic its hard to keep your eyes on the road. Consequences (falling off a 200 foot cliff) is pretty significant if you don't pay attention though.

Agreed but I've done it in a cage so many times and traffic can tend to suck. We wanted to explore new areas. When are you and I riding????

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the oil light? I know it is for oil level, and when the season got colder here in WI it came on a few times after being started, even though oil was full on dipstick. Could just be a Yamaha glitch and would not worry about it unless it stays on all the time.

Oh yeah, level, not pressure. Thanks. Never seen this before this trip. Anyone else???

May I suggest you take a trip North up hwy 1?

Done it and will be taking the 1 up to Skaggs this weekend and many more time :thumbup: You should come with!

I can't open the pictures from work :( a very nice write up. I will have a good look at them from home.
Have you moved with work Nate? Or are you at a new Job?

Nelly

Get a chance to look yet?

We moved because we wanted to enjoy Cali....I grew up in the Adirondack mountains so Chicago was always temporary.

Nate! i didn't know you had moved so far away! I guess i'll have to come and visit you guys. Say hello to Angela. Those roads look amazing. I have done a lot of riding to the Smokeys lately and have found deserted roads that are as good or better than Deals Gap. You guys are welcome to stop by if you're ever around here.

Oh and happy new year!

Franco.

Thanks, man! Angela liked it a lot down there and it's cheap so there is a good chance we'll come visit sometime. We will always have an extra bedroom (Angela's #1 rule) so you're more than welcome to stay with us. Maybe you could rent a bike.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't get all these in one post...tried but it didn't work (not up for doing it manually right now)

Awsome Nate! I am full of envy. Excellent pics, I especially like the map you whipped up.
I cant wait to see the mountain biking pics from the bay area that you are going to send me, hint hint. :D

I will...I promise. Have not bought a bike yet but I plan to shortly! You'll be hearing from me.

Were many of those miles highway?

Heck no! Maybe about 350 to 450 were highway....200 of which was rushing to LA the first day on the 5 to make up time and get some sleep before waking up and riding with Cali_Rider all day. I was bummed but had something important to do Monday morning. Angela and I hit the highway at one point when the fog was toooo bad for mountain roads and at the end of the second day when she was ready to get home.

I HATE superslab with a passion....kills tires and my bike is naked so it is real tiring. Oh yeah, there are twisty roads everywhere so no need really other than to skoot around from here to there.

Have you ridden from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz yet? Very fun, very dangerous too.

That's day two this weekend... hwy 9 etc.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to have missed -part- of that ride Nate! hopefully next time you can pitstop by my pad :D

Excellent pics :rockon: