08 fz6 kinda tends to stall in first gear

08.FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
of late the engine tends to stall in first gear and there is kinda loss of power in general.What do I need to start looking into. and on emore thing will 09 fuel tank fit on 08

thanks in advance

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is this your first bike?

rev it up to 14,000rpms and quickly let out the clutch :eek: , that is the normal launch procedure........

seriously though, don't do that lol.

08.FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope,this one is my third bike in last 2 years and have done more than 30,000 miles in the last 2 bikes GS500 & Intruder.Have done about 2000 miles on Fz6 in last 2 months since I bought it.But off late there seems to be loss of power,runs kinda restricted and rough.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Check your air filter. It's possible that somebody built a nest in there.

Check plugs, wires, electrical connections, etc.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope,this one is my third bike in last 2 years and have done more than 30,000 miles in the last 2 bikes GS500 & Intruder.Have done about 2000 miles on Fz6 in last 2 months since I bought it.But off late there seems to be loss of power,runs kinda restricted and rough.

Does it run rough only at low rpms? It seems pretty normal for FZ6's to run rough at real low rpms when it's hot weather...especially on a hot restart. Mine won't idle right after a hot restart until I give it a few revs. :thumbup:

08.FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
until last week Fz6 was my primary mode of transport and taking out motorcyle as much..stalling has strated from then on.will change airfilte today and see if it makes any difference.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
water in your gas? how many miles are on the bike? mine does not give me any trouble in hot weather.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you say stall in first gear; do you mean when you let out the clutch or just sitting at idle?

As for the tank: I believe all year tanks are interchangeable. Be sure that is is actually an FZ6 tank and not an FZ6R (A FZ6R Tank will not directly bolt-up to our bikes).

08.FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It maintains idle well but stalls when I let got the clutch,have to keep the revs high to prevent it from stalling

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to suggest adjusting the idle (which may still help), but I would imagine that the previous observations are spot-on: Air Filter & Plugs would be my first check as well.

08.FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Skooter65,what sort of modification is needed to mount FZ6R tank on my 08.I have been looking for a fuel tank ,havent found one in good shape other than this FZ6R

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Skooter65,what sort of modification is needed to mount FZ6R tank on my 08.I have been looking for a fuel tank ,havent found one in good shape other than this FZ6R

That is a very good question. I am not sure if anyone has attempted this before. I would be willing to bet, given the drastic differences in frame design between the two bikes, that it would be quite the undertaking. Just take a look at the attached parts fiche:

FZ6: Metric Parts Outlets' 2007 Yamaha Street Bike FZ6 Parts List

FZ6R: Metric Parts Outlets' 2009 Yamaha Street Bike FZ6R (METALLIC COLORS) Parts List

I think they are far too different from one another to make it work...easily.

You could be the test subject though ;)