07 fz6 with cobra fi2000r?

jaronv74

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

New to the forums, and to my already beloved fz6. I purchased the bike about 2 weeks ago, it had about 11.5k miles on it. Already well over 12k. The bike came with a cobra fi2000r fuel controller and scorpion cans, which from my research cobra doesn't even make this controller for our bikes. I'm getting an odd "machine gun" type of idle where it's almost as if the ecu is right on the edge of either supplying too much fuel, or not enough. This makes taking off at a light awful, the bike will bog and sound like my old '84 kawi did when it was running super rich, until about 3.5-4k rpm where it'll sound normal.

Does anyone have experience with these fuel controllers? Or am I looking in the wrong spot for my idle problems? The settings are 2,1,0 from left to right. Just to add, the bike really only does this when at operating temp, and randomly at that. I've done a fair bit of searching but can't find anything on my setup. Thanks for any help...oh and here she isIMG_20190411_191643.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At first I thought you were a new member from down under.... You know your attachment is posted upside down....

The obvious things like battery connections and being sure the plugs are good with secure secondary wires are a place to start. Next thing I might do is bypass or get that fuel controller out of pathway. I would imagine it works much like some of the fuel controllers we are familiar with but without knowing what exactly is going on, history and maintenance it would be hard to actually tell. Sometimes a video/sound is helpful.. Fuel controller adjustments are guessing unless you have a sniffer to measure A/F ratios. Sometimes the fuel controller fail.
We recently had a member who's plugs burned the electrode/anodes completely off the plugs and we think it was an ECU unleashed or the aftermarket fuel controller....
There are also and sensors that can fail but I think you would have had a check engine light and an error code.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one on removing the controller.

Your description almost sounds like a misfire. How's it run at higher RPM's?

Checking your spark plugs for burn color may show if it's running rich...

*I have an 07 with Open Scorps, everything else stock (including cats) and it idles dead smooth and can accelerate from idle dead smooth. I do keep my idle at about 1,100 (lower than recommended).

Shiny side up (the faster BLUE!):

Last edited:

jaronv74

Reaction score
Visit site

*I have an 07 with Open Scorps, everything else stock (including cats) and it idles dead smooth and can accelerate from idle dead smooth. I do keep my idle at about 1,100 (lower than recommended).

It pulls great above 4k all the way to 14k. Has some vibration, though. I will try to bypass/remove the fuel controller this weekend, barring any rain that seems to only happen on weekends around here [emoji849]

jaronv74

Reaction score
Visit site
At first I thought you were a new member from down under.... You know your attachment is posted upside down....

The obvious things like battery connections and being sure the plugs are good with secure secondary wires are a place to start. Next thing I might do is bypass or get that fuel controller out of pathway. I would imagine it works much like some of the fuel controllers we are familiar with but without knowing what exactly is going on, history and maintenance it would be hard to actually tell. Sometimes a video/sound is helpful.. Fuel controller adjustments are guessing unless you have a sniffer to measure A/F ratios. Sometimes the fuel controller fail.
We recently had a member who's plugs burned the electrode/anodes completely off the plugs and we think it was an ECU unleashed or the aftermarket fuel controller....
There are also and sensors that can fail but I think you would have had a check engine light and an error code.
Awesome, thanks for your reply. I uploaded the pic half asleep from my phone, woke up and that's what I see haha! I will get a video when I get to work and upload it, but I think already you all have given me some good starting points

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the Bazzaz FC you can simple restore one connection which is the main piggy back connection where the fuel controller takes the output from the ECU, does it magic and connects to the fuel injection rail. Return the path making it direct from the ECU to the Fuel Injectors and you should be good. You'll know when you hit the start button!

You might also read up on how to export the current MAP, load a zero map and stuff like that.

As Cliff pointed out, you need a wide band O2 sensor to read the AFR. I have that coupled to a data logger. Looking at the data I made some custom maps keeping the AFR in the 12.8 - 13.2:1 range and she pulls nicely when coupled with the ignition advance.

jaronv74

Reaction score
Visit site

I haven't had time to check the plugs yet, but I did re-adjust the idle down to somewhere in the 1,100 to 1,200 range. Let it cool all the way down, took it our for a spin and the erratic idle is nowhere near as prevalent. Still pops up randomly, literally stoplight to stoplight it can differ. However, some improvement has been made! I will attempt to remove/bypass the controller tomorrow after my ride home and we will see how it goes. Out of curiosity,have you changed any of the CO settings with your scorps, or literally left it as is?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't had time to check the plugs yet, but I did re-adjust the idle down to somewhere in the 1,100 to 1,200 range. Let it cool all the way down, took it our for a spin and the erratic idle is nowhere near as prevalent. Still pops up randomly, literally stoplight to stoplight it can differ. However, some improvement has been made! I will attempt to remove/bypass the controller tomorrow after my ride home and we will see how it goes. Out of curiosity,have you changed any of the CO settings with your scorps, or literally left it as is?

Nope, never touched the CO settings (and I know their factory set as I know the original owner). Both Cats on, the Scorps are wide open and as noted, a very, very smooth idle. The bike is never in storage being in Florida and is ridden almost daily since being new.

Your bike has pretty low miles which in some cases isn't as good if it sat awhile...

If you keep having issues, (even if not), I'd run some Yamaha Ring-Free fuel additive thru the bike at a shock rate initially. (Shock rate is 2 oz/ 1 gallon, regular use is 1oz / 10 gallons). It will NOT hurt anything at the higher mix..

I use RF in EVERY gas machine I own as well as customers machines (small engine repair((chain saws, weed eaters, mowers, generators, up to riding mowers)).. It cleans both the top end AND the fuel system.

It's not uncommon that the next day, after a treatment, I can tune another 500-2000 RPMs out of the same engine (using a tach) W/O doing ANYTHING ELSE, just letting the RF do it's job. Easily 90% of my repairs are fuel related from Ethanol.

It's not cheap, available on-line or at any Yamaha Marina. A small container will go a long way and IME, works way better than Seafoam, etc (as I've tried/used most over time)…

BTW, with the idle lower, I found almost no vibs in the mirrors at idle, less clunking going into first, more engine braking.
It's been this was way for at least 9 years. Raising the idle to 1300, the idle isn't quite as steady (maybe 50 RPM variation). On a flat surface, I can let the clutch out slowly, NO throttle, and the bike will roll out... 27,000 currently on the bike..

Last edited:

jaronv74

Reaction score
Visit site
Small update:

Ran some ring free through the fuel system..no real change but my mpg improved slightly.

Bypassed the fuel controller also, huge difference. The bike doesn't "feel" as fast, but idles better, less vibration through the rev range, and even sounds a bit different - I'd even say healthier.

I still have not done the plugs due to my lack of time lately, but it seems that the majority of my issues were due to bad fuel programming from that controller.

Will get plugs done, and sync throttle bodies asap! Feels good to finally be dialing this bike in.