06 painted windscreen and forks, 08 style

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
i couldnt stand the 06 windscreen, so used my buddy's 08 windscreen as a template, some metallic red paint, vht silver annodized base coat, and voila! I hit the forks with some semi gloss engine enamel as well

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome job. Looks much better now. 07-09 fairings did look a lot cooler than the 04-06 IMO.

If I were you, I'd be looking to start painting other stuff on the bike. I paint one thing, and then I start noticing other things that would be cool if I painted them.

Synr

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! Looks like what I did, except I went a little lower in the front to go around the Yamaha logo. It really makes the bike look soooooo much better.

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the comments, ive fallen hard for this bike!! shes my pride n joy, i lowered her today to accommodate my short legs

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wowsers is righ! :thumbup::thumbup:
I'm also curious in the type/brand/colour of paint you used. That's an original paint job there. I usually see the OEM screen painted black on the inside. This is special kudos to ya!

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love it!!! Could we(I) get a little more detailed instruction(aka. idiot's guide) on how you did that!

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
absolutely..the red paint can be found at most auto parts stores for around 4.00 USD, the VHT paint, which is designed to add a metallic base for their annodized paint serires, may need to be purchased from a specialty shop for around 10.00 USD, luckily i know a VHT dealer... any sparkly silver paint may be used - IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE HIGH TEMP PAINT!!!

1) ofcourse, remove the windscreen by lifting the mirror boots and unscrew 4 plastice screws, plus on the bottom between the lights

2) using a microfiber towel and plastic lens polishing compound (megiuars headlight restoration kit), i buffed the screen clean

3) placed an 08 windscreen on and using masking tape and newspaper to mask out the design

4) 4-5 coats of the red spray, the metallic spray is translucent, so the more coats the better

5) 2 coats of the annodized base coat, since the red is translucent, this silver helps brighten the paint, as well as adds more sparkle to the mix

6) 1 coat of black paint to seal and darken behind the screen, so as you sit on the bike you wont see the silver paint

7) reinstall and take pics!!!

Last edited:

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for the details! Did you have the paint custom made is it directly off the shelf? because it looks spot on.

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
off the shelf.. its a tad dark under flourescent light.. but in sunlight, its spot on, even the metal flake in the paint is pretty much the exact same

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey anyone going streetfighter wanna give away their pre 07 windscreen for me to experiment on? :BLAA: