Not lane splitting but a question sorta like it [Michigan]

bsk8er48

Reaction score
Visit site
I know splitting ain't legal but after looking at the michigan Motorcyle laws I saw this.

A person operating a motorcycle, moped, low-speed vehicle, electric personal assistive mobility device, or bicycle shall not pass between lines of traffic, but may pass on the left of traffic moving in his or her direction in the case of a 2-way street, or on the left or right of traffic in the case of a 1-way street, in an unoccupied lane.\\\\\"

If im reading it correctly if traffic is line up in my lane and the left lane is not occupied I can "cut" by going on the left. (2-way) I wanna clarify before I do any of the sort, some area's it could be safe and faster for me if it actully is allowed.

Any idea's on this? I sorta think they just mean like the whole passing deal (non-double yellow, car can do it too). But its not explianed in detail.

Last edited:

MtnCarver

Reaction score
Visit site
The technical jargin makes this more confusing than it needs to be, but take that away and it pretty much says that lane splitting is illegal. Why do they make it so tempting to interpret the laws? They should try and be as direct as possible.

Last edited: